Is it wrong to expect something special on your birthday?

Anonymous
so typically for my boyfriend's birthday I make sure to get home, clean the house, make him a cookie cake from scratch (i was a cake decorater so it only makes sense.) And have his present ready. Complete with a card and wrapped up

Well for the first birthday of mine we celebrated he did well, my boyfriend got me a few pop dolls, and a blanket, but then the year after which was last year.. I had been working doubles all week so maybe I over reacted. but on my birthday I refused to work a double. As it was I had 70 hours on the clock So I sat an extra 30 minutes after my shift was supposed to end to listen to my terrible manager tell me how unhelpful and selfish I was being by not working, well then I went home to a dirty house. The dishes weren't even done. My boyfriend immediately wanted me to go to the pet store with him so he could look at stuff for his salt water aquarium (basically an errand that could have been done before I got home). And all I'd. Talked about for the past month before was how badly I wanted olive garden for dinner... bu that point, he hadn't gotten me anything for my birthday, I was dead tired from work, had to run errands with him, and the only reason he even got me ANYTHING that day is because I started to cry in the car and he got me a giant stuffed animal from Walmart on the way home. But then we still got some Asian take out instead of the olive garden that I'd been craving because by that point I was just upset and tired and wanted to go to bed.

I've mentioned how disappointed I was I. That birthday since then. I think of it a lot. And I feel like it this year is the same way I'm just done with the relationship because I don't feel like I deserved to be treated like that. But I do think he felt bad looking back at it.

But is it wrong of me to expect a better result this year? Like I get that we're adults... but I don't feel like buying me a cupcake from Walmart would be that big a deal.. or doing the dishes. Am I being childish?
1
1