My boyfriend wants me to congratulate and tell him good job for every little thing he does? Is he just being a baby?

Anonymous
So my boyfriend was completely babied his whole life (he's an only child) to the point now that he's a full grown adult he can't wash his own clothes hardly can clean up after himself and only recently learnt how to cook something that wasn't shove it in the microwave/oven. He lives on the same property as his parents but in a separate house and his mum still cooks him dinner every night even if he's not there and he just refuses to cook.

We've had this argument quite a few times but for every little thing he does he wants me to praise him tell him he did a good job and I'm so proud of him. Which I have no problem doing for things that should be praised. But he's mad at me now because he finally cleaned his shower even though it was turned pink from soap scum and had mould growing in it (mind you I had cleaned it 8 months ago because I was staying there for a few weeks and it was dirty he didn't clean it in-between then and now) but he's mad because I'm not praising him over doing something essential for his well-being and something a grown adult should know how to do.
There have been so many times like that where he's cleaned his house or made his bed or cooked his own lunch and he always wants me to tell him good job for doing things for himself.

He thinks I'm an arsehole because I won't praise him for it and doing these things is hard (which I do appreciate him putting in the effort to learn) and it makes him not want to learn them.

I do give him praise and tell him good job or I'm proud of him for things that aren't essential life skills or things he needs to do for himself but I don't see why I should have to congratulate him on being an adult.

Am I the one being the dick or is he just being a baby?
41
25