Do you have codependent tendencies?

Lynx122
I came across this video and it was really interesting. I've heard about codependency but people usually only focus on the person that does everything to please someone else and not the other person. Since I knew I was not that type of person at all I didn't pay any attention to it anymore. But this video really explained a lot for me. I got hurt emotionally as a kid and I blocked everyone out and I needed to be in control to feel safe.

Part of it is because of autism lol I like to save my money so I feel like I can live for months off my savings if anything goes wrong or whenever I want something I can just buy it and don't have to think about how do I afford this? But when it came to relationships the past definitely played a role and also how little I knew about what a relationship was supposed to be like.

I was never in a codependent relationship mostly because I was anti social and preoccupied with figuring out why I was different and certain things were so hard for me. It's probably a good thing that I was alone in the past if I had found someone that enabled me it could have ended badly. But there were a few girls I talked to online. There are a few things that I regret doing/saying in that time but it was not a big deal in the big picture.

I just think it's good to know this dynamic exists and every person probably leans in one of these two directions a little bit being aware of it is a good thing. I think it's important to understand that the person who is controlling is also doing so out of fear/past trauma and helplessness. Often it's depicted as the innocent victim that does everything for someone and the evil manipulator.

I have healed my connection to my emotions that was broken because of the emotional pain and protecting myself from it but I think I still have some issues with feeling powerless /needing control not just in dating.

Anyway let me know what you think of this topic and if you related to one of these two behaviors in any way.
Do you have codependent tendencies?
1
0