How to set boundaries when girlfriend's ex comes up in our relationship? Am I just being insecure? Is she really serious about me?

spxtrader
My girlfriend and I are quite serious - we were both previously in long relationships (five and six years) and we have both been outside of those relationships for about two years...

She talked about her ex freely as we were first getting to know each other. I don't talk about my ex unless asked. I'm instinctively careful about that. My girlfriend and her ex are still friends and message every few months. I'm okay with this. During our first two months, she made glowing remarks about him every week. No comparisons. Nothing meant to test me. But I think a well-balanced person would wonder whether she was over him. It began to affect my trust.

To her credit, she picked up on it and at her prodding we had a candid conversation. We agreed on some basic ground rules - I would not hold anything inside and she would not talk about her former boyfriend. Today, this was really put to the test...

She sent photos of places she wants to take me to. (I am moving to her city and I'm in quarantine in a hotel now. Hello COVID!) In one photo, she was obviously with her former boyfriend. It killed the romance and guaranteed I will confront the specter of this super hero in my own mind if we visit that place. I sarcastically replied, "Nice mountain bike," with a thumbs up emoji. I really stepped in it. She called unhappy and said "the past is the past" and I "should see her intentions". All of this is true. And I do. Sort of. I apologized on over phone.

Later, she sends me a message obliquely asking if I was okay.

I start off with much I love her and then ask her to please avoid sending photos like that and to avoid making any references to her time with her boyfriend in romantic contexts. "It sends the wrong message. Please understand how I feel," I said. "I'm only human. I love you to the sky."

She replied: "I understand babe, sorry. :("

Not sure if that is terse. Or just brief. I expect we'll be having a longer conversation today... am I being fair? Am I just being insecure?
2
4