Do emotionally unavailable ever change or realize what they are doing is hurting others too?

alex199123
I never heard of the term emotionally unavailable before until I met this a girl back in October. We dated everything seemed fine until she said she was emotionally unavailable and me not understanding the term I decided to look it up all while trying to stay friends with her. Bad mistake, every sign and every piece of advice I got to walk away before I got hurt I should've listened to. They come of being so selfish and I was lied to and the hot and cold moments were getting out of hand. It left me hurt because it felt like I was doing something wrong. Why do people like this even try to date? How do I avoid people like this and pickup on the signs if this happens again?
2
2