Why would my ex text me at 2am to tell me he will always love me and then the next day say as friends ?

We split up last November and sort of kept in touch ever since, he rang me on his way back to his hotel last night and then said he will call me back when he got in his room and charged his phone.. I then got a text saying" I will always love you " I asked him what brought that on and he just said " nothing just the way it is I guess" and then went on to say that he has always felt that and nothing changed and that I knew or something like that , I did reply saying I didn't know he still felt like that and now this morning he said" as friends yes cos I do his head in but I'm OK really" I have asked him what was he hoping to gain by saying that and all he's said is " I wanted you to know that I'm here for you and I liked you ". I'm just confused because there was no reason to say he loved me to just let me know he's here for me ! I know he was drunk but he has not told me that for a very long time I fact the last time he did that was when he wanted me back and confessed undying love for me ! I have asked him not to send me texts like that again because its not fair on me. The thing is I know he still loves me and I still love him , should I go quiet on him and not respond for a while to see what happens ? Need some advice
0
2