Got in a fist fight with one of my best friends, advice?

Last weekend me and one of my best friends hosted a pregame that ended up not going out. This happens time to time. However, I made a gay joke in the vicinity of a gay kid and used the word fa**ot. Luckily, he didn't hear me, but my best friend flipped out about. He basically announced what I said to everyone, I told him to drop it but he wouldn't and kept droning on about it. It was getting to the point where he was trying to embarrass me. I was drunk and it slipped, I apologized to the people around me...that should have been it. And when just about everyone was leaving he got on his soapbox once again and apologized for me. That really pissed me off.

At that point it was just me, him and his girlfriend, and two buddies who were spending the night..our other roommate was asleep. I immediately called him a f**king a**hole for doing that to me, and he needs to learn to stop running his f**king mouth. He told me that I didn't understand and that I needed to be taught a lesson. I just told him to shut the f**k up and for some reason that made him charge at me and sucker punch me. he's a personal trainer and really strong so that punch knocked me to the ground. I was able to get up and punch him twice before he drilled me again. We were exchanging punches before he decided to push me down the stairs...luckily I didn't get hurt, though I was sore as hell the next day, my eye was also sealed shut from the first punch he threw at me. For some reason we made up before going to bed, but that was before I learned the details of what happened.

I was unaware of what I wrote above because I drank heavily that night and only remember bits and pieces of the argument and fight. My best friend told me I had swung first and missed, which is why he punched me...turns out he was lying about that. According to the two guys who witnessed the fight, who were sober, I was essentially attacked. He was pissed I called him out for trying to embarrass me. I had trouble walking the next day and had serious pain in my hip so I went home to see the doctor.

While I've been gone he's been telling people he "saved my life" because now I won't say non-politically correct things when I drunk which will prevent me from "getting killed in the street". Only his girlfriend supports him, everyone else feels I've been attacked but are too afraid to say it so he has convinced himself he did the right thing by punching me and pushing me down a flight of stairs. He has texted me a few times since I left to see how I was doing and had the balls to say I should stop drinking; that's rich coming from him.

I'm returning on Monday, but I'm really pissed off. I didn't know the full details until after I left so I am going to confront him on this because he is just delusional.

Any advice on how I go about this without losing my temper?
1
2