I love my girlfriend but she is very possessive & jealous. If I won't give in to her ways I will lose her! How can I help her? When do I pull away?

I have been with my current girlfriend for 7 months. She was kind, caring, affectionate and also a good person. Things started to change after 5/6 months into the relationship. She does have a kid from her last marriage (I am single, no attachments) so she just wants me to stay in with her all the time and even kicks off if I wanted to go for a run after work to de-stress (Q: why do you want to run, how do I know you are not seeing other women). So I stopped going out and just stayed in. Everything was perfect again but I became very stressed and unhappy. I only wanted one or two evenings to do my gym and see my friends or even just study as part of my work.

I have repeatedly re-assured her that I love her and I have never cheated in my life and she refuses to believe it (her ex-husband cheated on her before). Now she is getting worse - if I go out to watch football or see my friends she complains. She even asked me why I don't change my hairdresser (who is my best friend of 15 years and a woman) for a male one. She knows her too.

I am now backing off slowly so she suggested that we should break up saying we don't have a future together etc. So I said okay and I spent the next 3 evenings with my friends relaxing, training etc. (this is the 4th or 5th time I went out to see my friends over the last 6 months without her).

She then called me 3 days later saying why I am not coming down to her place and fight for the relationship for another try (she is the one who broke it off) and gave me more aggro - why I want to see my friends, parents (twice a week) and go to parties.

Next day, she texted me and say let's see how we feel about each other in a month or so and take a break.

Now is my opportunity to get out of this very stressful relationship but I do love her and still wants to help her.

If you were in my shoes, how long would you try and help her and when would you walk away for your own sanity?
3
0