Is Religion the Root of All Evil?

- I would just like to point out before you read this myTake, is that this is not discriminating any particular religion. I'm not asking you to quit your religion or fight over this. This is my own opinion.

Growing up I was forced into Christianity. I had to go to church every Sunday, read the Bible, and take religion class in school. I wasn't even given the chance to actually believe in this religion. I was forced into it.

After school I realised that I am a human. We are all humans. There is nothing more greater than humans. I don't believe in worshipping something other than humans. Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right.

Is Religion the Root of All Evil?

Imagine a world without religion. where humans depend on humanity and mankind. imagine if humans didn't look up to one (or multiple) god who was greatest. imagine if all humans were equal, and looked at each other as gods, survivors, humans.

to me, human rights go hand in hand with atheism. atheists cannot hold some insane religious tradition responsible for their horrible deeds against mankind. we are fully responsible for everything we do. until this does not apply to all religions on a worldwide basis i feel that religion is indeed the root of all evil.

this is something i came across on the internet and in my opinion this here is a great example of evil: "there are almost 5,000 gods being worshipped by humanity. but don't worry, only yours is right".

historical leaders didn't kill people for money, they killed them because of their religion. i don't want to offend anybody by giving examples but there are plenty of them throughout history and still plenty of them going on today. over one hundred million people died at the hands of terrorist attacks from all religions. terrorism is the symptom. religion is the disease.

maybe we have created this evil. who created the government? we did. who created religion? we did. who created money and have it value? we did. maybe it's time we took some responsibility and acted like humans.

1652

Most Helpful Guy

• Atheism is equivalent to human rights? Your aware that Stalin and hitler and lennen and MAO all where atheist, all despised religion and all are the greatest mass murderers in all of history. Every one of them killed tens of thousands if not millions of people. Atheism is nothing more then one ideology among many. Meanwhile which group gives more to charities, sets up more charities? The religious.

Now what is the root of all evil? Humanity itself. That's why what you have said is so incredibly dangerous, you are like the righteous man, so blinded by your perceived moral superiority that you will inevitably prove the exact opposite. Because you do not understand yourself, you are not going to understand others, understand humanity and that means you will make the same mistake as so many have before you, religious and non religious alike. Humanity is the source of all our evil and its the source of all of our good too. Our closest relatives the chimpanzees practice war (they also seem to have behaviors that suggest a pseudo/endo religion), currently they just finished one of these wars (I forget the name of the territory) where they murdered rival tribes, beating them to death tearing them apart with brute force young and old alike. That is nature. One of these chimpanzees has also been taking care of the orphaned chimps, since their tribes where wiped out. That's also the nature of sapient creatures.

You don't become evil because you decide to, you don't become evil because you are told to through some doctrine or another, you become evil because you get hurt and you lash out, you become evil when you place yourself as more important then others, you become evil because you think that you above all others know best and then try to exert your will on others to force them to your supposedly better way. It starts slow but it grows until you end up becoming exactly what you despise. This is why they say the path to hell is paved with good intentions. Religion isn't what causes the darkness in humanity, darkness was always their just looking for an excuse to come out. That's why religion is always warning us about it, its trying to stop the darkness not create it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, religion is not the root of all evil. But it is the root of many evils.
    I agree with your statement: "Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right"
    I think that sums it all up very well. I also do agree that w world without religion would be very different, but much better. People would be held responsible for what they do, everyone would be equal, and there would be no hatred for other religions.
    Religion has been the cause of every war. Every single war, religion is the root. Why did people move to the colonies? Why were there tensions? War? Why did the Salem Witch Trials happen? Religion religion religion.
    Though there are other roots to evils like greed and money and power and stupidity, I agree that religion is #1.

• ' Why did the Salem Witch Trials happen? '
      Oh, this is something i learned this year, the salem witch trials was actually started by a land dispute.
      (One of my ancestors was one of the accused, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Faulkner)
      But basically the girl who started it first accused a lady who the girl's family thought had taken land that legally belonged to them. The convicted had their land confiscated, the whole thing was really a fight over land that used 'witchcraft' as the excuse.
      Though i have to say there is at least one part of it that is eeriely convincing as a curse.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Good
      She loudly proclaimed her innocence and told the Reverend who tried to get her to confess (He actually made a profit off all this by the way) That, "I am no more a witch than you are a wizard and if you take my life, god will give you blood to drink."
      25 years later, and 9 days before his birthday, Reverend Noyes died of a hemorrhage and literally choked on his own blood.

• @Waffles731 uhh i wasn't rlly asking why it happens lol i was making a rhetorical question because the answer is religion. by witchcraft they mean cursed by the devil because everyone followed the bible to an extreme literal extent back then. 'witches' would claim that the devil came to them.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 51

• If you are a Christian they kill you and hate you and if you are an Atheist everything is about sexuality and hypocritical.
    Religion lately chanced and was different in the past. So if people have enough of something they seek an alternative and then it is ok to go to the other alternative and so the switch from religion or believe into Atheism and a new clique.
    I think the old religion was better.
    When I was yount it all started to happen that they blackened religion slowly each day more and you saw they clearly have a plan,. First nons left schools. "But they were better then the moderen social workers etc. So religion is more advanced and they thought about God and without God and just science live will not be good.
    Live becomes boring without God. Now God has to go the government is becomming hypocrits who doing as they are pleasing and do not listen to the law. So why is the law all over a sudden not good enough for the people to just being noity.
    Litteraly everything that happens is opposit from the bible and therefor are all ideas stolen from the bible and then twisted or reversed up side down litteraly and then they claim as atheists to be original while they are monkeys and parrets who steal their ideas from the bible and therefor from god. in other words we are decieved and it is all about power and money. People are forced to become Atheists or the society will treat them wrong and even rape them. and then the government say that they do the will of the people who all over a sudden have a majority of atheists so they can leave christianity. we never had really christianity or just before you know it already must go is gone and can leave. well we loved jesus so much that he all over a sudden just can go. My can you trust people in this world. never again I will. bey all hypocrits.

• There are a couple of points in this i disagree with because i think spirituality can serve a huge purpose in self discovery as working towards becoming yourself can be an extreme asset for everyone trying to grow. So i don't think no spirituality is the answer as many will then take that as an excuse that nothing in this life matters anyway and we can all just rape party and plunder because you die anyway.

But then the real question at hand, the one at the title 'Is religion the root of all evil?' the answer is no because if you analyse that logically you will see that evil doesn't tie back to religion but religion can tie back to other aspects of evil.

So lets examine some common trends in especially abrahamic religion. Typically they want worship, use fear mongering, control there followers and collect wealth. These all tie back into greed because there is always someone not satisfied with what he has trying to manipulate others into getting him more of what he perceives he is missing.

Then lets extend it to some other aspects :
    - Rape, sexual greed at the expense of the victim
    - Anger, this one could be quite standalone but is often a result of being treated unfairly by someone else which could mean greed was the original cause.
    - Murder, typically lust for revenge which could also be tied back into greed as your willing to rob someone's life for your own gain.
    - Revenge in general, typically feeling that you need to take something back because someone has harmed you but in reality this also ties back into greed as you could also have used forgiveness to heal yourself and move on as the better person.

While i might be missing something here and there might be something deeper as i genuinely find it difficult to follow the evil chain as i am not an evil person as far as i am able to follow it Greed is the root of all evil.

• I LOL'd when you said that historical leaders didn't kill people for money. That's just such a silly thing to say. Most of our wars were/are fought over land and resources, not religion. You don't seem to understand human nature at all.

• I do not believe that religion is the root of all evil, no. I think that your analysis of religion as doing what you are told, regardless of what is right, is true in the more ritualistic religions, but that's just people missing the point of what they are doing. Did you grow up Catholic, by chance? You sound like someone who never had the chance to learn what religious doctrine actually says. I don't blame you for resenting it. Think of a belief system as the same big bad guy role as government. Government gives us order.

The problem with seeing people as only accountable to themselves is that everything becomes subjective, and death essentially becomes a release of responsibility. If I decided to rape you; the damage is still done, regardless of my intention, or what I do next.

Here's the part where you say "but you KNOW rape is immoral. " You're right, but there's nothing physically stopping me from doing it. Why then, do I not rape people, if I can just kill myself and not suffer consequences? Because, in addition to not being one to needlessly cause suffering, I believe that if I did something like that, something far scarier then a doughnut munching police officer will come after me.

• Apparently, religion is not the root of all evil. The two countries in all of history, who murdered the most people, were atheistic countries. China and the Soviet Union.

• I disagree; greed (for power of any kind I suppose) would be a greater root of all evil. Sure, some religions teach people to act on their greed, but I don't believe in some religions, I believe in the God of Abraham Isaac and Joseph who sent Jesus to die for everyone. The whole idea is about selflessness. If people twist it into evil by taking advantage of people with the power they have as a leader in a church, then they are the problem, not Christianity.

• Yeah, because the atheism of the Khmer Rouge was the root of SO MUCH VIRTUE!

Do religious people do evil? Yes.
    Do irreligious people do evil? Also yes.
    Do hardcore atheists do evil? Also also yes.

If religion is the root of ALL evil, the irreligious and the hardcore atheist would not be capable of doing evil.

However, the irreligious and the hardcore atheist CAN do evil, thus, religion cannot be the root of ALL evil.

QED.

• Atheists cannot hold some *insane* traditions, but they also hold *no* rules dictated by their beliefs. Most religions say that "killing is bad" in one way or another, while an Atheist by definition can do whatever he wants as there is no authority and no punishment.

• Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler - none of them were religious. I don't believe Genghis Khan had any religious affiliation, in fact he largely allowed religious freedom. So while religion has often been used for evil, there certainly is plenty of immense evil that is free of it. So to answer your question, no, definitely not.

• Indeed religion is harmful. It has held back technological progress as well as the spiritual development of humanity. Lucifer wanted to make us gods like him, but Jehovah prevented him from doing so. Religion has been used as a tool to suppress occult knowledge and keep us on a lower level of consciousness. Not to mention all the wars motivated by religion

• Hmm. Communisn has killed about 80 million to 100 million people just in the last 100 years or so... and communism is almost always atheistic. en.wikipedia.org/.../Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes

Maybe it's atheism that's the root of all evil.

• Then "WHO CREATED US AND THE VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE UNIVERSE"
    If you are thinking about science then, I am really sorry but you are idiot and can't even think properly. No Science can't explain a shit and never will be.

• Yes, look at any modern conflict it is all based on religion, Iran, iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Chechnya, Bosnia, israel, all religion based

• Without reading your post, no. It's not.

While I'm not religious, I think that religion can help people to find the right way in their life.

It's the bad apples who (ab) use religion to justify their evil causes that make thoughts like this a scary possible reality.

• No. It is not. "Why, then, 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet, Shakespeare.
    I would argue that any action can be perceived as evil or good.

• Religion was a necessary step in evolution of Mankind
    Why is there religion? ↗

• Atheism causes nihilism and moral relativism. It creates a society that doesn't even take the issue of right and wrong seriously. And that to me is supreme evil: refusal to judge or live up to serious moral standards.

• Wasn't Hitler an Atheist?

• @goaded I never claimed atheism=bad nor did I suggest Christianity=good, that would be really weird of me to do so considering that I am not Christian, or any religion for that matter. I simply pointed out that the atheist claim that they are morally superior is entirely false, that their claim that they are some how more rational simply "Because" is also entirely false. I don't have an opinion on the morality of atheism in and of itself because its not a moral question, its a question of preference more then anything else.

• @hellionthesagereborn You're quite right, yes. Sorry.

• I doubt religion is the root of the evil. Both religion and a car is tools. They can be used for something good and for something bad. A religion can give hope, but it can also be used to control people. A car can be used to come to a place faster, but it can also be used to kill people.

Both Stalin, Mao etc. who were "communistic" dictators were not religious. In addition people who ruled the communist parties thought the world would be better without religion and even considered banning it. The leaders still ordered executions of political opponents, participated in wars or other conflicts and got many people killed under their rule. They also had concentration camps similar to the nazis. So if none-religious are capable to do things which is considered evil, then religion isn't the cause of evil and then maybe there's something else that cause it. Maybe the human's nature? Humans have both selfish and none-selfish tendencies.

• Nope, it's money and as I grow older and through what I've experienced, this is turning out to be so true.

• More from Guys
    31

What Girls Said 15

• If you want to know - compare the sexual activity of 15 year old atheists to the sexual activity of 15 year old Sikhs, Hindus, Christians, Jews or Muslims

• when has sex with consent become evil?

• I'm no atheist, I'm pagan, but I used to be atheist. so I totally see and respect your viewpoint. I mean as for myself I don't see religion as being the root of all evil, however it can have some evils to it. especially when someone is forced into it instead of being allowed to be open minded. religion simply isn't for everyone.

• pagan in the modern day and age? its funny how people cannot empty themselves of all spirituality and at least look for one that justifies their passions and lifestyle.

• yes dear, that was my point exactly. that you chose your dogma not according to your conscience or a revelation, but because it fits your current lifestyle and is an im-personal religion. your gods have no strict requests from you to provide you with spirit. if anything, pagan gods were always a relfection of human passions and intrigues... .

• @levantine99 yeah exactly. its kinda a shame how other religion has put down pagans for so many years. it kinda sucks when you're stuck in something that's so strict that for some it feels like you have no life or that you can't be individual. I'm one that's usually like "hell yea!" to individualism lol

• religion is a natural tendency of the human being. even today, for the secular masses celebrities, politicians, and scientists have taken that role.
    so no, not religion, its human narcissism that is the source of all evil. that creates the illusion of seperation of one's self and interests from others. that cultivates greed, envy, lust, power hunger, rage and all other vices.

• and what you said about killing for religion shows a very shallow understanding of national matters. countries kill for resourses, energy and territory/geostrategic purposes. everything else is an excuse dressing the true cause.

• You made so many wrong statements. First, you said "Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right." A religion is a system of beliefs and practices which someone joins because they suits them. If you were forced to go to church that doesn't mean that religion (at least christianism) is about forcing people.
    Then "imagine if all humans were equal, and looked at each other as gods, survivors, humans." If every human were regarded as a god, then everyone would feel almighty. Everyone would feel the right to do whatever they want considering only their own will. The necessity to summon to a God is that it makes every human equal and they respect a system of value that guarantee everyone well-being.
    Then you say "historical leaders didn't kill people for money, they killed them because of their religion". They also and mostly killed them because of wealth, power, lands and so on. Religion is not the problem. The problem is human mentality. And if you think of a particular religion just name it instead of slandering other religions because I know for sure that christianism does not codone terrorism. So no, religion is not the disease, the wicked human heart is.
    Your take as no realistic point. Obviously, you have some hate against religions and you make up arguments to justify it.

• "Money is the root to all Evil..." Says your Bible.
    Religion? A Relationship with God, Your Father Above, Love, Is your Guide.
    Get Back on Track, HE is the Key with Thee. xx

• The combination of greed, ambition, selfishness, pride... is the root of all evil

• No but it's an excellent weapon for being able to manipulate people. Hitler is a good example, most historians believe that despite what he said Hitler was an atheist. I can see why that's true, the way he described race and the german 'superman' showed some understanding of evolution. The German population at the time was religious, so when he uses arguments like being Jewish goes against the ten commandments, it's very powerful. So that's one of his many methods of manipulation. Obviously this was one of many tools he used to rise to power.

• Greed is.

• Nope, money and man is the root of all evil.

• No, religion is not the root of all evil.

• No. Humanity is the source of all evil. You only have to look at the 20th century with the Nazis and communists were religion was taken away.

• Death by atheism =
    Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,00 people murdered

Jozef Stalin (USSR 1932-39 only) 15,000,000 people murdered

Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000 people murdered

Kim II Sung (North Korea 1948-94) 1.6 million people murdered

Tito (Yugoslavia 1945-1987) 570,000 people murdered

Suharto (Communists 1967-66) 500,000 people murdered

Ante Pavelic (Croatia 1941-45) 359,000 people murdered

Ho Chi Min (Vietnam 1953-56) 200,000 people murdered

Vladimir Ilich Lenin (USSR, 1917-20) 30,000 people murdered

• Stupid mytake. Ignorance is the root of evil. Sadly, there are enough ignorant religious people about their beliefs to create a good horrible stereotype.
    What´s also sad is those who don´t believe and who are ignorant, don´t know what theyre saying as well. They create a fight for nothing.

Anything radical should vanish. People should gain the right knowledge.

• Religion is not the root of all evil.

Self-Interest is the root of all evil.

Self-Interest is also a necessity.

• I think that religion has had a good and bad impact on history. It has guided people to do great things, but also has guided people to do horrible things. Even horrible things got us to where we are today.
    I'm a believer, but I don't think it's doing much at all today other than stunting freedom and being used as an excuse for ignorance.