Why Honour is not necessarily a Christian concept

jennifer_bloom

When I first began university, I knew a guy who wanted God to reward him for being religious by making him the president of the United States, but that is not as easy as it seems.

Jesus said he who is least among you is greatest and he who desires to be first among you must be slave of all, so can you honestly say that you are more deserving of honour than the Chinese sweatshop factory workers who are killing themselves from depression?

Or the people in India who do not have food to eat? Or the people in Iraq who are being sold into child marriages? Or the dying people who are laden with broken bones in domestic violence situations? Or the raped child?

I watched a Ted talks about a doctor who has worked 7 days a week in a war zone for years and she says she wants no credit because it’s not about her, it’s about the people on the front lines ahead of her who are dying every day because there are not enough medical workers like her to fill the gap. So never assume, God will honour you when you serve him. He might, but there are many people more deserving than you that are not millionaires or Beauty queens who deserve to taste the pie before you do.

3
1
1Girl Opinion
3Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• maulstrum97
    Honor predates christianity it was around during the pagan west
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

12
  • nawtee_me
    So never assume, God will honour you when you serve him. He might, but there are many people more deserving than you that are not millionaires or Beauty queens who deserve to taste the pie before you do.

Matthew 7:1-2
    7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

When you use you you set apart the readers...
  • loves2learn
    True. It’s not. Honor is about integrity, not religion.
    Like 1 Person
  • Shortman70
    If you think you deserve honor, than you probably don't. Honor is earned, it's not a reward bestowed on you. I served in the military but I don't like getting recognized for it, I enlisted cause I wanted too not for honor or recognition. I wasn't raised that way, if you're doing it because you want honor or recognition, you're doing it for the right reasons. If you do the right thing even if no one is watching, that's honorable, it will be recognized when it truly matters and that's all that counts. Just my opinion and how I try to live now. Unfortunately, it took awhile for me to realize that. When my time comes, I will get what I deserve, good or bad. I don't want or need honor, I will beg for forgiveness and mercy, deserving none of the 3.