A sign I got from God and what I learned

jennifer_bloom

For the last 3 years, my main goal that I wanted to achieve, was domestic comfort, safety, and economic power. I thought, if I had enough money to eat whatever I wanted, exercise where ever I want, live with whoever I want, buy any house I want, and hike anywhere I want, I would be satisfied and joyful.

But as my goals become more achievable and it seemed like success was possible, I kept seeing moth in my home and they kept chewing my socks and scared me too cause they would attack me since I was brighter than the darkness around me.

The bible says that you should not store treasures on earth because moth and rust will interfere with your earthly goods. So I associate moth with age and time and the decay of beauty and health, and rust with depleted energy and social power.

And I realized, God wants me to make service to his morals, my primary goal in life, and not the satiation of my own interests and wishes, God wants me to choose church over mandarin buffet, and family and pets, over alcohol and designer shoes.

6
1
1Girl Opinion
6Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• USLegionary

Prepping is important.

(Gen. 41:47-49) - the example of Joseph. During the seven plentiful years the earth produced abundantly, and he gathered up all the food of these seven years, which occurred in the land of Egypt, and put the food in the cities. He put in every city the food from the fields around it. And Joseph stored up grain in great abundance, like the sand of the sea, until he ceased to measure it, for it could not be measured."

(Prov. 6:6-9) "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest. How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep?"

The words "prepare," "preparation," "keep watch" (and the like) appear over 150x throughout Scripture.

As is evident from the passages above, faith and preparedness often go hand-in-hand. We see this so clearly the example of Noah. If you see danger coming--whether from a forecasted ice storm, home invasion, solar EMP, financial collapse, or a hurricane--you prepare. God has given us minds to use and guidance to follow.

At the same time, we are called to trust in God and not to be plagued by worry or anxiety. The biblical "prepper" trusts in God's goodness and sovereignty and, therefore, doesn't succumb to being gripped by sinful fear. However, he is also one who looks ahead with wisdom to provide for his family (1 Tim. 5:8) and, in a broader context, the household of faith (Gal. 6:10).

We should also strive to be less dependent on others--including the government--for basic means and living (1 Thess. 4:11; 2 Thess. 3:6-12). The Scriptures include many "one another" instructions (e. g., forgiving, bearing with, caring for, etc.), but we should not want to be a perpetual burden on others or become reliant on Uncle Sam to take care of us (as many in New Orleans sadly learned the hard way in 2005). As our society and nation have become increasingly interconnected with other societies and nations, one weak link can have an increasing crippling impact on the entire "system." We've seen this in recent times with the collapse of Greece's financial system and its subsequent havoc on Western retirement accounts. We've seen how a leak in a gas pipeline cripples many states over night. One company's bad news in the stock market sends fear throughout our entire culture. Most of us have lost the old arts of preserving food, keeping a family garden, obtaining clean water, making household items, taking care of animals, and even changing oil in a car. As a whole, Americans are not prepared to weather any significant storm.

The church, in particular, will face perilous times in the coming years. Christian men, women, and children will have to endure increasing persecution from an increasingly hostile culture, intolerant government, and from Islamic militants. This shouldn't surprise us. Jesus often prepared his disciples for this reality. In many ways, the church is starting to reflect the plight of Israel in Babylon. In the midst of their exile, God told his people, "Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce... seek the welfare of the city" (Jer. 29:5-7). Build houses, plant gardens, and pray for your city. Not exactly earth-shattering news; just simple, sustainable, and faithful living.

If you and your family do the research and sense a significant likelihood of danger approaching, take reasonable and appropriate steps to prepare. If you live in Florida, the preparations you would make will certainly be different than if you live in Kansas or Alaska. If you live in a volatile financial culture, consider other ways to diversify your assets, like acquiring commodities. I'm not suggesting that you spend your entire retirement overnight on a doomsday bunker, but I am suggesting that you think about whether or not you and your family could survive for a short season (at the least) if you didn't have access to electricity, gas, or the grocery store. That doesn't seem too far-fetched. As an Uzbek Christian once said, "Trust God and keep your donkey tied up."

Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

14
  • jengeorge26

Doesn’t God want you to share HIS WORD around the world 🌎 so everyone knows the truth about GOD?

LikeHelpful 2 People
    Reply
    • God wants many things and I don’t believe everyone is required to be a global missionary in a physical way. My interest is closer to promoting humanitarian aid to alleviate poverty and promote education in the third world. Converting people has never been a priority for me.

• Avicenna

It's good that you realized what's most important

LikeHelpful 2 People
    Reply
  • TheoPfeifle

Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds!

Reply
  • love_conquers_lust

That last line was funny. “And God said, curseth be the man who starves his soul of the word of God when he chooseth spicy chicken.”

Reply
  • Staximus

I'll choose the Mandarin buffet over church every time haha

Like 1 Person
    Reply