Is it moral to eat animals?

Is it moral, is it immoral, is it amoral? What about if we get to the point where we can clone meat. Would that be different?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Not moral or immoral
    Vote C
  • Is it moral to eat animals?Other?
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When animals eat other animals, I consider it to be amoral. Humans are omnivores and have been eating other animals since before we were capable of considering the moral implications. We've evolved to eat meat and I don't see an issue with that.

That said, there are certainly practices surrounding the eating of meat that can be considered immoral, for example, cruel treatment of the animals that we eat.

4|5
    0|0
    • Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's moral. We can make changes lol

• Show All
    • Ah, lol I've had to respond to the "it's natural therefor moral" argument so many times I misread yours XD my bad

• No problem :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Can the treatment of animals in food production be immoral, unnatural and unhealthy? Certainly, and sadly it often is, nowadays. That's a bad thing, no question, and something we should all work together putting an end to. As for the whole "Is it wrong?"-question, I say let people eat meat if it comes from healthy animals raised in a natural environment who are then killed quickly, efficiently and competently without any malice, sport or cruelty. Hell, a quick and simple death is more than most people get.
    Modern meat production (and indeed much of food production in general) is often a horror show, but that doesn't make meat-eating itself immoral. Conditions for labourers picking bananas in South America are atrocious, but eating bananas isn't immoral. If you don't like how animals are treated in the big business slaughterhouses, don't buy your meat from those guys. Those guys are greedy and immoral, the business is greed-based and immoral. Eating meat is simply being an animal, like so many others that we share this planet with. If you can accept where meat comes from and are willing to pay more for/work harder for/think more about the meat on your plate, then you should be allowed to eat meat.
    Oh, and no one has a soul. Souls are make-believe. Some animals like humans have fairly evolved consciousnesses, and some don't. Let's leave it at that. Don't mix valid scientific arguments or moral objections with spirit-based mumbo-jumbo!

0|3
    0|0
    • This, "it's natural" argument gets thrown around a lot, and I agree that it is natural. We're omnivores, but we curb many of our natural tendencies because we view them as immoral, ie killing our fellows.
      I'm a meat eater, hell I ate half a lb of beef, 2 eggs, a can of tuna, and a chicken breast today (also one salad to be healthy lol). I just can see an argument that it is immoral if the creature has notable cognizance.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Humans can certain animals including meat of a goat, chicken, egg and fish. Dr Zakir Naik raised few interesting points when a hindu asked him why do Muslims eat non-veg like cow's meat?
    He said, there are animals who cannot digest meat, and they can only eat vegetables and plants. There are animals who can only digest meat and they cannot digest plants. He said, why did god give us a digestive system that allows us to digest meat?

The second point was that animals who can't eat meat don't have sharp teeth, and the animals who eat meat have sharp teeth. For example: a goat, cow don't have sharp teeth.

When it comes to humans, we have both sharp and smooth teeth. Which means we can eat veg and non-veg.

Dr Zakir Naik said some people say that animals feel pain and are living beings. Science has proven that plants also have a life and only feel pain. Science says plants don't have 5 senses, and we can't hear plants scream.

Dr Zakir Naik said one person told him it is wrong to kill them because they have 5 senses and plants only have two senses.

Dr Zakir Naik replied, "if your brother has two senses less, if he cannot speak and he is blind. And someone murders him, what would you say to the judge, the murderer should get less punishment because he couldn't see and talk, or should the murderer should get even more punishment that the brother was innocent, he could not see or speak and was helpless.

In conclusion, if we apply the theory that killing is bad with everything, including plants, animals, soldiers that we would not survive. Plants are living beings and are used for paper, furniture and to burn dead bodies.

0|1
    0|0
    • What research shows that plants feel pain?

• it's all part of the life cycle before homosapiens even existed. even if we don't eat them, eventually something else will or it will be overpopulated with those animals and mammals like us humans that dominates earth right now because there isn't much animals that can eat us anymore as we push them closer to extinction or cage them at a zoo. but give them the opportunity, those lions, tigers, wolves, cheetahs, and etc. will eat us without a second thought.

0|1
    0|0
    • Are lions, tigers, and bears (OH MY) moral agents?

• Show All
    • you're not them, how would you know they don't feel any pain? just because they're plants, you think they can't feel pain? lol any living thing will feel pain, just because you can't feel the pain of other living organisms doesn't mean they can't feel it. like if i were to chop your big toe off with a butcher knife, just because i don't feel your pain doesn't mean you're not in pain.

• They don't have pain receptors... ah well, if you don't want to take it seriously there's no need to continue. Have a good one

• Animals eat animals. I'm a mammal, so I'll eat other animals too.

2|1
    0|0
    • Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's moral. It's natural to kill others and disregard land agreements, that doesn't mean it's moral XD

• Show All
    • People often try to argue that humans aren't animals, and that's why we shouldn't do things that animals do. Humans ARE animals (mammals), and animals eat other animals. But not all animals eat others, and not all animals can be eaten by others. When did you last hear about a lion eating another lion? Lions eat antelope, antelope are also eaten by cheetah, antelope don't eat other animals, cheetah don't eat each other, nor do lions.

• It's probably easier for a lion to eat an antelope than a cheetah XD
      My point is that what is natural has nothing to do with what is moral. Its called the naturalistic fallacy, or the is-ought fallacy.

• Rabbits is food and pets.

Eating animals is neither moral nor immoral. The way we raise and butcher the animals can be moral or immoral, though.

Regarding our clone meat future, I look forward to cheap ground clonemeats and animal grown meat being more expensive, but free-range and grass-fed, using cattle as an example, so the meat is higher quality.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on how you view morality.
    If you define it as maximizing all general life even if it is just a little then no it is immoral.
    If it is maximizing quality of the 'more important' lives and sacrificing the lives of others, then yes it is moral.
    Morality is just principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour. Is it right to risk your own health and money and time to improve the lives of animals you will never meet or see? Is it right to torture and kill billions of animals just because they taste good and are cheaper?
    I think it depends on your situation. If you love fruit, you can afford it, and have the time then yes, it is moral to go vegan. If you're in poverty, and fruit won't sustain you, and you have very little time then eating animals is very moral.
    but it is very hard to draw the line, and that is why this question will always exist. Thanks for the good question!

1|2
    0|0
  • Morality depends on the culture. But as for myself and ethical reasons, I don’t

0|1
    0|0
    • Hm I don't really agree with relativism, but that's cool.

• I don't think it's immoral to eat animals, as it's a part of the circle of life. But how we treat and kill the animals is what can be immoral.

1|2
    0|0
  • I would say it is very natural and normal. However in vegetarion, both because I think that like factories and large scale meat proasessing is super lame, and because the earth is dying.

0|1
    0|0
  • If the animals were killed quickly without much suffering, i think it's ok.

0|4
    0|0
  • I can't get over how many cats and dogs are on that billboard. What about turtles, hamsters, fish.. you know, all the other animals that they claim want to live? 🙄

0|1
    0|0
  • God gave us authority over animals. We can eat want ever animal we desire to eat. HOWEVER, there are certain dietary laws that should be encoruaged to have for the SAKE of having a cleaner bill of health. Things like shrimp is not healthy for us as they are the sanitation of the ocean. They have nerotoxins in them when we consume them. Cow milk is unhealthy because of what's in it. We're really supposed to eat goat chesse and drink goat milk. I love pork, but I also know it's extremely unhealthy. Our diet if your American is atrocious. And it's killing us. So we have to look at WHY certain animals are unclean to eat and why it's concidered immoral. And what I discribed is one of them.

0|0
    0|1
    • We're "supposed" to drink human milk... And even then only for so many years.

• Show All
    • No, it's not. And I believe that even my old pediatritian can prove that. Of course, we will lose it as we age. But we can't be under mom forever either. Unlike embilical cord holistic treatments, breast milk is best for babies and toodlers. No more older than 2.

• So you're claiming there are some magical nutrients that can only be found in milk?

• It is absolutely immoral to kill an innocent creature because you like the way it tastes.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s why God put animals on earth.

4|2
    0|0
  • It's just nature. We're animals too

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's normal food chain.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's fine.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nature is amoral.

We struggle because we both have empathy AND natural instincts.

0|1
    0|0
  • animals eat animals also :\ there's nothing immoral about it

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it has a morality weight on it. (Amoral)

But, if the animals were abused before the slaughtering, that would be very immoral.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm neutral

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah extremely normal

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 40

• WTF? Many of us are PETA people
    People Eating Tasty Animals...
    These animal rights people haven't seen the videos of deer starving to death. It is truly horrible. And in some parts of the world, the animals on the left are food...
    If you don't want to eat animals, awesome, I don't want to hear about it from those people. What I choose to do is my business.

2|2
    0|0
    • Never said it wasn't your business. I just asked if you thought it had any moral weight.

• To quote a chap called James Aspey, there's no humane way to kill someone who doesn't want to be killed. There's enough observational evidence to show that animals have social lives, love their families, feel pleasure, pain, joy, and fear, and when given the chance, enjoy life. If I was on a desert island and had no other choice for what to eat... well I wouldn't have insulin either so I'd die anyway. And we're not on a desert island and if we live somewhere with internet access chances are we do have a choice...

So no, I don't believe it's moral to kill or support the killing of a sentient creature who wants to live, for the sake of not learning how to season food properly. Seriously I was looking at BBQ ribs earlier, 100% vegan. Absolutely ridiculous lol. I'm currently munching on bbq flavoured pringles. I can't even say I eat meat for the taste coz I can get the taste from non-animal sources. When the best steak I've had in my life is made from seitan, I can leave the cows alone. it's the only way to live consistently with my belief that animal cruelty is wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not only moral, we are biologically made for that. Our body needs meat and it's our nature to eat animals. We have domestic animals and animals for food. There is a boundary and that's totally normal

0|1
    0|0
    • Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's moral though. For example killing is naturally occurring, but we often don't think that's moral.

• killing something is neccesary to survive. grains are plant ovum, milk is food for an animals baby, and meat is their muscles.

that said, i have no moral issue with it as long as it is done kindly. the places vegans show videos of are cesspits and should be shut down. but not everywhere is so crap at their job that they are incapable of killing animals quickly.

i think the issue is actually that we are sheltered from the cost of food. it just appears in the supremarket right?

0|1
    0|0
  • I haven't eaten animals for a while now but I don't think that it's immoral to eat it. If your ancestors didn't kill and eat them (especially predators) then you probably wouldn't be here today. Everything eats everything on this planet. It's why you have pointy teeth.

However, given that nearly everything is farmed (driven by supply and demand) there are definitely aspects of any industry that involves animals which some take issue with. To meat (hah) the demand then the supply has to be made to fill the order.

If you had a cow for 10 years, for ex, and it died for whatever reason, would you bury the cow, or would you get someone to cut the cow up and put the food that comes from it to good use. Would it be immoral to not feed your family at that point if you decided to bury it?

I'm all for animals having far better welfare/living far longer than they do before getting they chop, but just because they're an animal doesn't make it immoral to eat it.

0|1
    0|0
    • Natural not equal to moral

• Show All
    • I never said it was moral or immoral. I was just stating that the argument, "it's moral because it's natural" is not accurate.

• Yeah, but the question itself is very broad and can encompass so many scenarios and the two can cross over.

The morality of this is different from situation to situation. Hence why I put the example in there.

• Our difference on all the other animals is that we have the intellect to think if that's moral or not.

in my opinion if i were a lion I'd defo not thinking twice before devouring some juicy piece of meat to keep my protein intake needs. What we do have to do with our intellect is to maintain control of other specimens' populations, and that's what biologists do best.

0|1
    0|0
  • Animals eat other animals. We are animals in a way. Aside from that, we are biologically made to digest meat.

0|1
    0|0
    • Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's moral.

• Moral doesn't exist. It's a state of mind. Though a code of ethics is usually agreed upon in a society.

• All those animals would eat us if they found us tasty and easy to kill without a moment's hesitation.

Why should I feel sorry for them again?

0|1
    0|0
    • Morality isn't based on what others would do, is it?

• Morality is entirely subjective so it's based pretty much on whatever you want.

• it is difficult, a dog would eat a man if he was starving and the man was offered dead as a dish or if found in the woods, in Korea and China man will eat a dog as a delicacy. But would a Westerner eat dog, no, but in France you maybe offered horse meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • I honestly have no idea because it's an issue I go back and forth on quite often.

0|1
    0|0
    • Same, I eat pretty much only meat, but I oft question the morality of it.

• It's neither but not bad.

Animals eat each other all the time, we at least feed them.

I do think the only real issue with the animal industry is the process.
    The immoral thing is the living conditions and way of death.

If they gave more space and did occasional cleaning of the premises as well as killing them quickly and with minimal pain than it's not so bad

0|1
    0|0
  • Whether killed in a humane or inhumane way you still need it to survive. That’s what we did in our hunter gathering days

0|1
    0|0
    • That's not the question though XD

• To put it short for you, it’s not inhumane to eat an animal.

• Animals have always eaten other animals to survive, that's my reasoning.

0|1
    0|0
    • Do you consider a cat to be acting morally when it kills a mouse?

• Show All
    • I don't know. Cats are a lower life form than Humans so they don't have the ability to decide what is moral and what is not.

• Right, that was my point. Comparing humans (rational agents) to less cognizant (not moral agent) creatures is silly.

• It's moral if you fairly hunted the animal without guns and then ate the animal. It's not moral if you breed the animals and then slaughter them, or even sit and wait and then press a button on a gun and the animal instantly dies.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's only human to eat other living species, whether it be plants or animals. It's not immoral.

0|1
    0|0
    • Natural does not equal moral.

• Show All
    • Eating animals doesn't change your views and beliefs

• Nothing wrong with eating animals

• But of the animals we do eat how many would survive in the wild?

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't that really adresses the particular question, although it's an interesting follow up.

• Some would survive for sure, theyd be lrsy but they survive.
      The argument of theyd go extinct without us is stupid. The way we farm them they may as well be extinct. They are bred to be killed and don't really get any actual freedom.

• I don't have a problem with eating meat, however I suspect that in the long term, artificial lab grown meat will become cheaper than actual meat and people will gradually give the latter up.

0|1
    0|0
  • As a diary farmer my self I would have to say it all depends were you get your produce free range is usually fine but
    never go factory some free range standerds are different depending on country and company it's not a matter of morality but instead information
    Knowing whether or not an animal has had a descent life

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but I'll tell you what is immoral. Vegans and vegetarians. Those motherfuckers are killing innocent leaves everyday.

0|4
    0|0
  • Yes, and that line is to far right, I fucking hate rabbits they are barely above corrupt politicians and pedophiles in my esteem

0|1
    0|0
  • Im a veggie - BUT I do not have an issue with people eating meat. My issues lie in 1 - the industry meat is obtained. Factory farms and the rest of it are horroble places.. born into a world of torture and pain to be killed.. if you hunted animals in the wild then fair enough.
    2 - The hypocrisy of people. We will eat pigs, cows, chicken etc. But a dog or a horse.. NO! Theyre all animals. Pigs are smarter than dogs.. the issue is association. If you had a pet cow in the same way you had a pet dog or cat, you wouldn't eat the cow because it is family.

Also, i dont like how humans view ourselves as 'better' than other animals. We all are on an equal playing field here on earth. Humans have an advantage because we are smarter and more advanced but we're no 'better' than other animals here.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is really up to the individual to decide what moral guidelines they Will follow it is not right for another to impose their own moral codes on another. Moral beliefs are up to each individual to decide for themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • ı draws it...

0|1
    0|0
  • Idc what the correct stance on this is. I'm human, I need meat.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah I don't mind eating dogs or cats or horses or bunnies either... lol

0|1
    0|0
  • You have to realize this notion, this thought process if it's right or wrong to eat animals comes from years lf expanded civilization.
    We a tribes people, as humans we thrive best in packs. And when you're on the top of the food chain the only thing we do is reproduce and reproduce even more.
    So many people to feed and take off.
    It's not just enough to hunt like every other predator. We had to get the best use out what we got.

I don't think it's wrong to eat animals.
    I think we highly need to reconsider the way we treat animals. Putting them in small pens and have them reproduce so we can feed ourself. I think that's immoral.

1|1
    0|0
  • dogs, cats, rabbits, horses are perfectly fine to eat

0|1
    0|0
  • Animals eat other animals. If it's not immoral for them, it's not immoral for us.

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m a vegetarian. But only because of environmental reasons.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well yes, I couldn't see myself living on rabbit food

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes