Is it moral to eat animals?

Is it moral, is it immoral, is it amoral? What about if we get to the point where we can clone meat. Would that be different?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not moral or immoral
    Vote C
  • Is it moral to eat animals?Other?
    Vote D

2241

Most Helpful Girl

• When animals eat other animals, I consider it to be amoral. Humans are omnivores and have been eating other animals since before we were capable of considering the moral implications. We've evolved to eat meat and I don't see an issue with that.

That said, there are certainly practices surrounding the eating of meat that can be considered immoral, for example, cruel treatment of the animals that we eat.

• Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's moral. We can make changes lol

• Ah, lol I've had to respond to the "it's natural therefor moral" argument so many times I misread yours XD my bad

• No problem :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Can the treatment of animals in food production be immoral, unnatural and unhealthy? Certainly, and sadly it often is, nowadays. That's a bad thing, no question, and something we should all work together putting an end to. As for the whole "Is it wrong?"-question, I say let people eat meat if it comes from healthy animals raised in a natural environment who are then killed quickly, efficiently and competently without any malice, sport or cruelty. Hell, a quick and simple death is more than most people get.
    Modern meat production (and indeed much of food production in general) is often a horror show, but that doesn't make meat-eating itself immoral. Conditions for labourers picking bananas in South America are atrocious, but eating bananas isn't immoral. If you don't like how animals are treated in the big business slaughterhouses, don't buy your meat from those guys. Those guys are greedy and immoral, the business is greed-based and immoral. Eating meat is simply being an animal, like so many others that we share this planet with. If you can accept where meat comes from and are willing to pay more for/work harder for/think more about the meat on your plate, then you should be allowed to eat meat.
    Oh, and no one has a soul. Souls are make-believe. Some animals like humans have fairly evolved consciousnesses, and some don't. Let's leave it at that. Don't mix valid scientific arguments or moral objections with spirit-based mumbo-jumbo!

• This, "it's natural" argument gets thrown around a lot, and I agree that it is natural. We're omnivores, but we curb many of our natural tendencies because we view them as immoral, ie killing our fellows.
      I'm a meat eater, hell I ate half a lb of beef, 2 eggs, a can of tuna, and a chicken breast today (also one salad to be healthy lol). I just can see an argument that it is immoral if the creature has notable cognizance.