What do you think about people offering "thoughts and prayers" in the wake of a tragedy?

Particularly in America every time that there is a national tragedy people politicians and citizens immediately start responding with "keeping X in our thoughts and prayers." Then they seem to do nothing else about it. If you're an American do you also see this as a trend? If so do you have a problem with it?
  • It's insulting to those who went through the tragedy
  • It's all well and good, but they should get up and do something.
  • Thoughts and prayers are enough.
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D

1125

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people are genuine when they say it. If something happens to a loved one or friend, I'll tend to message them to make it more personal and assure them that I'm there and am willing to do whatever I can to help, if any help is needed. It feels better than just leaving a "thoughts and prayers" comment.

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously a lot of people said "well and good but they should do something." To which I'd say... yes if they're able that's a good thing for them to do... but what if you've lost a loved one? What are they supposed to DO? Say they fell asleep and never woke up are people supposed to come do something about it? Sure you have those people willing to make meals and such but for many people empathy/sympathy is all they can really offer, or at the very least all they think they an offer, and knowing that it's the most they can do... I find it very encouraging that they're doing it.

• I personally wouldn't feel anything if someone offered prayers after a loved one died, but to clarify the question was about "thoughts and prayers" in the wakes of tragedies, not a solo death. Ie in the wake of a hurricane or something of that nature.

• Oh apologies. I didn't pick up on "national." I didn't read the description too carefully xD

• All good