Do people continue to have wishes, desires and think after death?

According to a study I quoted in one of myTakes, https://www.girlsaskguys.com/religion-spirituality/a51374-two-reasons-for-belief a research study showed that up to 50% of adults believe that dead persons/ agents still have wishes, feel love, etc after death.

I was wondering what the rates were amongst the GaG community.
  • Yes I think they do.
    Vote A
  • No, I think all of that stops at death.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Because all that stuff comes from a brain. After the brain shuts down there is no 'Me' to be having desires.
    There's just no good reason to believe otherwise, other than wishful thinking because death is scary.

2|5
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Will you hold me?

• Show All
    • @jimyee What about it?
      Either my brain is in a mechanical body and I'm still alive, or you're talking about some sort of saved consciousness, that's not a continuation of me, but rather just a copy of me. Like a clone. The original and the copy are completely separate entities, that just happen to share the same personality and memories.

The game SOMA touches on the latter, actually and it's pretty interesting.

• @Jimyee
      If that were to be done (and I'd love it) will there be wishes and desires? Regrets, I think, yes. But without the body requiring your conscious effort in matters of survival, procreation and such, I think your desires in that case will become more or less ghost-desires or phantom-desires, whatever sounds better.
      Wishes will probably continue being a thing though.

Most Helpful Guy

• If there's an afterlife, it's a possibility people can think in it and most likely they've to be able to do it since it's an afterlife. But if there's no afterlife, then people can't think after death. I'm not sure if there's an afterlife or not, but maybe it's it.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• All desires come from the source to servive and not to die to begin with. This is an old knowledge and saying.
    But there are different ways of dying also.
    it is all psychological.
    The fear of what we might lose.
    And the fear of pain.
    So there is no desire for food for example or other desires in reality but the will to servive in happiness what gives the feeling we live.
    With no desires we like to die and find peace.
    so there are the restless souls.
    They find no peace.
    They have many fears. Like becomming unhappy if things are going not well.
    They are afraid of being abandoned.
    Of being left alone.
    Afraid of being lonely.
    In a way they fight against going to hell or the state of hell psycholical a state of extreme unhappiness.
    they fight against it and are extremely afraid of it so they seek the opposit to get rid of that fear and they think if they have this or that they would remain happy but is not true in reality but they believe it and so they can not let go of such thoughts.
    They also like to teach others to live as they do and they see themselves as great examples but in reality they do this not to end up alone and it is also called the guru fear or the fear of the guru to end up alone with no devotees.
    That is why they are teachers.
    They like to teach so they have devotees. They many times left their families and pretend that is good but have the option to have people around them they know will not walk away from them.
    So they find a new bound and new connections and fight as dogs not to lose those connections. So they look materialists. But in fact they fight against loneliness. that is why they are only busy with the outside world how things must look like and the planet venus is important to them to attrack beauti so people will not leave them.
    If beauti does not work they try caracter etc..
    Most live in boundage this way.
    And they can not escape because of the fear of lonliness and so they tell others their live is not as good as theirs because they want those people to join their group because sometimes they have not enough people. Ghosts are guru's. And guru's are ghosts and their spirit flees to catch souls in their spider web to call it love and beauti and it is to many adictive. So yes ghost have desires in the psychological realm. and so does our society and wel live in a ghost world full of desires that brings down to destruction in hell eventually because it is all plastic and fake. The wrong way to find happiness indeed.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I do, however, think that consciousness extends after death. Kind of string-theory wise. Essentially, your "soul" (or at least some manifestation of your energy) has to keep living on; or else it all falls apart, held by the "strings" of the theory. Thus, I believe, our consciousness transfers somewhere else. Maybe not on this plane of existence, but on the next level, and we'll continue to be forever.

1|1
    0|0
    • If your consciousness continues than you would have thoughts after death... It doesn't matter if it's this plane of existence or the next as that is what any religion thinks.

• Show All
    • Lol no worries :D
      It is pretty difficult even for professional researchers unless they are invested in theoretical physics. If any of them saw how butchered the explanation, they'd kick my ass for sure...

• *how I butchered

• I don't think you have desires your dead you have moved to a better place. Where all of your desires are fulfilled. But I think you can still miss your loved ones that aren't there with you anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • i believe that after you die and all and when you are taken to your grave and than you will be asked 3 questions and than after that on the day of judgement it will be decided on if you go to hevan or hell

0|1
    0|1
  • I don't think so, what is there to wish for when things are more accessible. I bet a dead person can transport themselves wherever they want, not sure if it's whenever since ghost encounters aren't reported often

0|1
    0|0
  • As far as I'm concerned death is a transition of energy. However the brain stops being fueled and so you lose well "you". All of your hopes, dreams, memories.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know but what I know for sure is that nobody goes to heaven right away after death.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. You’re dead. The end.

0|4
    0|1
  • I believe in reincarnation. So sort of

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 20

• Assuming that by use of the word "think" you mean to believe, I do not believe either. I simply acknowledge that I do not know. I would like the answer to be that there is some kind of continued feeling, but I do not know, so once that is said it is no longer worth thinking about.

Exactly the same way I think about God. I will not allow God or religion to have any influence on my choices, my thought and behaviour patterns, because what I do know is that I do not know.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope. If you're dead you're dead.
    Besides, where do all our desires come from? I think our physical body, is where. Like for instance the desire to have sex. Pretty hormonal. The desire to eat. Pretty much our survival instinct. Aesthetic desires require functioning sensory organs.

If on the other hand it is argued that a spirit can do all of those (if it exists, that is) then what is the point of having a human body in the first place for all these years?

0|1
    0|0
  • An organic clone would still be alive and still You, you would just split into two different entities. But I am speaking of mechanical where it takes all the thought functions from your organic brain inserts them into a mechanical host. Your organic brain would cease but you would go on existing in the mechanical.

0|1
    0|0
  • A dead person has no knowledge of what is going on earth anymore.

But according to the lord Jesus Christ a person is in a spiritual realm and are conscious of their current state upon death and can have desires.

Luke 16:19-31:

There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.

But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table.

Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.

And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

“Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’

“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’

And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

0|0
    0|1
  • It's a complex subject considering there are thousands of ideas of what the afterlife would be like (for one who believes in the afterlife). I mean some of these ideas include regret, progression, learning, family relationships, etc... From an atheistic perspective it's rather simple.

0|1
    0|0
  • If we're still something after death (I won't deny this), I think what we become is not the kind of thing that can think, desire and have wishes whatsoever...
    Still, I think we're far more than a bunch of cells, but I think our consciousness is more "bunch of cells" related...

0|1
    0|0
  • no i don't think we have wishes, desires, or think after death. when the brain stops i think those things stop

0|1
    0|0
  • At death the brain stops working thus none of the above CAN continue.

0|3
    0|0
  • Speaking from my experiences with death as far-fetched as it sounds there is still more that goes on after you die

0|1
    0|0
  • All jokes aside I believe that the organisms living inside us may retain some consciousness of our personality and trasmute that to the outside world after death. The organisms that decompose our body consume our mass which provides nurishment but I also believe some aspect of our corporeal self as well. We are dead but we are part of the chemistry of earth and mother nature, therefore our essence can be preserved in a limited sense, a possible rebirth with those organisms going into other sentient lifeforms.

https://youtu.be/Ndj5KjKyr3E

https://i.imgflip.com/1hr2ga.jpg

0|1
    0|0
  • I think we are eternal, so I believe we go to our next life.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everything stops at death. It's not something humans can comprehend.

0|1
    0|0
  • None of us can answer that objectively seeing as we are (presumably) alive.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, when is "death"?

0|1
    0|0
    • Death is the cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism.

• Show All
    • Yeah, you've got some imaginary hyper-distinctive definition of science in order to say that science tells us nothing. Yet at the same time gives us knowledge XD

• You just dodged your own error trying to bring up another one of your own errors (confusing Truth for Knowledge) which ironically you blatantly stated you don't believe in knowledge.

Part of me worries for you. Rather, not you, but the world surrounding and denizens within. If this is the portrait of a "college education" what a waste.

• Wishful thinking

0|2
    0|0
  • Well i dont know , ask them

0|2
    0|0
  • I believe so

0|1
    0|0
  • Who ever say the Bible supports that, is lying..

0|1
    0|0
  • No, they're dead

0|2
    0|0
  • No, I think all of that stops at death.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes