Are you afraid of dying?

A lot of answers I know...
I’m just feeling philosophical lately so I want to know how you guys feel about life’s biggest mystery: Death
As of now I’m feeling pretty neutral about it.

Inspires by a Pink Floyd song
  • Yes. The idea of death frightens me
    Vote A
  • No. Only part of life
    Vote B
  • Only the possible pain from death (chainsaw)
    Vote C
  • Only the effect on the lives around me ex: loved ones and associates
    Vote D
  • As long as it’s not death by Ron Jeremy’s salami then I don’t care
    Vote E
  • I’m neutral
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
MHO anyone?
Super sorry I couldn’t respond to all your answers
I hope the upvote makes it better

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

Most Helpful Guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 23

What Guys Said 38

• Said F.
    Being dead doesn't scare me, its not being alive that bothers me. It may seem like a silly distinction, but I have a reason for it.

I'm not afraid of any afterlife being hellacious or any such nonsense, I just like being alive, and the concept of no longer being alive is not appealing to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, but I sure will desperately miss watching my Dolphins playing football. 😢

If you're not saved by the blood of Jesus then you better be scared of dying.

Once the physical body dies you will feel a transfer into the realm of hell, there you will experience the sting of sin and death.

Born again Christian don't die, but rather experience a transfer once their body dies, they go directly into the presences of the lord waiting the new glorified body fit for the new earth according to the Bible.

1 Corinthians 15:54-57:

So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

“O Death, where is your sting?
    O Hades, where is your victory?”

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 9:27:

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment.

0|1
    0|0
  • In November of 1998 I was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given around 3 months to live. The hardest part was preparing my family and friends for my passing.

When I woke up from the surgery that removed a huge tumor from my gut area my first memory was from the surgeon leaning over me and saying, "You are the luckiest son of a bitch I ever met." Those are his words.

Before the surgery he put me through all those tests two times. The second time was to verify the first tests were accurate. I had cancer and had it bad.

I believe I was cured by prayer. Not mine as I never asked to be healed. I prayed to get my soul ready for the transformation of what follows. Someone else prayed for a healing for me and their prayer was answered. I have no idea who this person is. One day I believe I will find out.

During the time I thought I was going to die I felt very peaceful. I remember looking up at the winter's night stars and thinking I will soon be a part of it all.

There is nothing to fear. We are forms of energy. Energy can not be destroyed. It can and does change form. I believe when we leave our human containers, our bodies, we enter a different dimension to prepare to be "recycled" into a new container. Maybe that will be back on this planet as a newborn baby or somewhere else as a different form.

Ya gotta love this eternal ride we are on! :)

0|2
    0|0
  • Honestly, yeah. It's probably my grandest fear at least. I thought about my age of 22 one day, and I realized that my life is (being kinda optimistic) a fourth done. In a more pessimistic view, I could die quite suddenly by premature heart attack, a car accident, or whatever. It's kind of unnerving to see various friends or people my age get more-or-less randomly selected by 'fate' to die an early death. It's naturally a scary thing, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Now, the possible pain of death doesn't bother me. Statistical odds would probably show that I'm at least not going to be killed by a chainsaw or tortured to death or whatnot. There is a higher chance that I'll fall [without a life alert], have cancer, have a heart attack, or some incredibly lame and boring way. It'll probably suck regardless, but still. That's not what bothers me.

The difference between the fear of death and other fears though is that this is a sort of ignored fear. Unlike the vast majority of other situations, death is, by all current reason, completely unavoidable. As such, I can't let it cripple my life. I just push it to the back of mind and move on.

The fear of death (at least for me) is spurred more so by what exists after death. If there is nothingness after death, there is no reason to particularly fear death, because dead people don't have feelings. The things that keeps one alive in that sense is the fear of absence of life.

The idea of an afterlife is kind of a bit like a roulette wheel though. You may place bets on various "numbers:" religions, moral standards/ethics, whatever... but you have no idea what number is being called (if there is a number), and you have no idea how many numbers are being called (aka how "open" the gates of a Heaven/Hell are). It's the fear of the unknown. There are things in life that make sense and don't make sense. I. e. the existence of the universe. Where did matter to create an occurrence like the Big Bang Theory happen? If a god made it, where did the god originate from? How can something just be "always there?" It just leads to more questions, until you're left with a realization that there are things you just don't know and can't find out... and this realization is truly terrifying.

0|1
    0|0
  • Actually , I'm waiting for my death. Because either you fear or not death should reach you. So, feeling tense for a bus which we know will come for us definitely is foolish. So, live in present.

0|1
    0|0
  • As for me: I think it will be 100% over. I will become a memory to all of my family and friends.

As for the rest: I don't know. I'll be dead.

1|1
    0|0
  • Anyone who says death doesn't frightens them is either religious, or hasn't thought about what's after death.

0|2
    0|0
    • Or maybe they've thought about it more than you.

• Show All
    • @Celtero Never said there is. Religion has always been about rationalising our existence, be that through an eternal skydaddy, reincarnation, eternal souls, or any kind of bullshit. Humans have had trouble coming to terms with their own death since the dawn of their existence as a species.

• @Celtero
      Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses". Do you know what they used opium for? It was a painkiller and a sedative. Religion is meant to pad your miserable existence, because the sad reality is that your life is pointlessly short, and anything outside of its scope is meaningless.

• Yes. The idea of there being nothing instead of something terrifies me greatly.
    I'd rather live in misery for the rest of my life, than not be alive.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never was unhappy before I was born, and I'm sure that'll be the case when I return to dust.

0|3
    0|0
  • I'm more afraid of the things I'll miss out on if I die. Like Half Life 3, which is totally happening guys.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am not affraid i will die some day, its required to make space for the new. But i am not yet ready to die, i haven't completed what i came here for.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not afraid of death itself but I find it a little unnerving to think about how I might die. I just hope it's in my sleep so I'm not in any pain and I don't have any prior awareness of it.

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • Which pink Floyd song?
    and I’m not afraid. If it was possible to life forever I’d still choose death

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really. I'm just afraid of not being able to accomplish my goals because of dying.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I fear dying before ever having a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not much I can do about it other than try to live a reasonably healthy lifestyle, so no.

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m more scared about losing a loved one than dying

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not afraid of myself dying. Why live if you don't wanna die?

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all, I actually quite welcome the idea.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, bring it on. I really don't care.

0|1
    0|0
  • death is inconvenient end to my simulation

0|1
    0|0
  • Only the possible pain from death (chainsaw)

0|1
    0|0
  • I can't wait to die.

0|1
    0|0
  • I want to die

0|1
    0|0
  • I think we all are, to some extent.

1|2
    0|0
  • Not at all