What would it take for you to change your belief (or lack thereof)?

If you're religious, what would need to happen for you to scrap your belief entirely?

If you're atheist/agnostic, what would it take for you to strongly believe in a God/Gods?

I feel like a lot of people will chicken out of this answer so in the essence of comradery, allow me to go first.

As an antitheist/atheist, for me to believe in God/Gods id have to have an interaction with it/them. This interaction would have to also be experienced by a range and number of other people with whom I could confirm details and rule out other possible explanations such as drugs or mental illness or some sort of trick. I would then need to establish some sort of proof that would separate the God/Gods from advanced aliens.
So I guess you could say that the only way I could believe is if God/Gods were able to provide me with the necessary proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.

#BakedHaggis #Cammyscontroversialquestions

2|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm Christian. What would it take for me not to believe in God? Quite a few things, to be honest. For starters, the world and society would have to not be turning out how it states in the Bible. The Bible would have to be a complete misrepresentation of society and the future of the world. The testimonies and teachings of Christianity would have to make absolutely no sense and just be completely unreasonable, which it doesn't to me. The very existence of a God, or a higher power would have to be COMPLETELY outside the realm of possibilities, which it isn't. I would have to somehow enjoy my life more being an athiest, rather than a Christian and that wouldn't happen. Being an athiest would have to give me some sense of fufillment in my life, which it wouldn't. Being an athiest would have to objectively be more reasonable in the long run, which it isn't, because I would much rather end up in Heaven.. even if there is a only a possibility of it existing. All in all, I would never give up Christianity.

0|2
    1|2
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Lots to unpack here. If you'd like to talk about some of your points in detail I have some questions. (Idk even know if this site has a PM feature though?)

• Nothing would make me renounce my faith in God because I do not want to go to hell after I die. Before I was secure in my faith there were things that could make me renounce my faith

1. If God stopped forgiving me when I did wrong
    2. If God was proven to be unjust or morally corrupt
    3. If God was proven to not be real
    4. If God's standards were unattainable and I didn't think I could ever life up to them
    5. If God told me I had no chance of going to heaven after I die

Basically that is all

0|0
    0|1
    • Right but thats a strange way to look at it. If you stopped believing in God then surely you wouldn't believe in hell, right? So the question is what would make that happen rather than actually asking you to renounce your faith.

• Show All
    • Fun fact: Big Bang theory was first proposed by a Catholic priests Lemaitre and was originally rejected by atheists like Hoyle for being too Christian, as it suggested that the universe had a starting point like in the Book of Genesis. Hoyle believed universe had no beginning and end.

• I am aware of the origins of the term "big bang theory". Well, you do you, brother! Whatever works!

Most Helpful Guys

• If some omnipotent & omniscient god or gods exist, why not some definite, irrefutable proof? A personal experience, a public display, just something that I can experience that cannot be explained away by any other means.

If it / they are truly omniscient, then it / they already know what needs to be done. And if it / they are omnipotent, it / they can pull it off effortlessly.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think my atheism has hit a point where there is literally nothing that could convince me of a “god” that deserves worship. Here’s why:
    1. A God can’t exist in a duality. If there was a god and something external to said god that that god could interact with the possibility of something being out of that god’s knowledge or control would be created. To me if you are not allknowing and allpowerful you’re not a god. You may be a being more powerful than me but there are humans far more powerful than me and I choose not to worship them.
    2. If god doesn’t exist in a duality then everything is a part of god including me. I see no point in my body’s cells worshiping my body. It wouldn’t change how I functioned in the slightest. In the same way I don’t think me as a part of god would have any reason to worship myself, the collective god. Respect and avoid damaging yes but worship no.

So to me a god could exist and I’d do my best to treat it with compassion but I’m not devoting myself to it just like I wouldn’t devote myself to the US president or the company I work for. So the existence of god has no relation to my decision to avoid religion. I call myself an atheist because as far as I can tell the only god I’d be willing to acknowledge as actually a god is the one that encompasses everything and so far that god seems to be fairly indifferent.

1|1
    0|0
    • However I do think religion has purpose.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

• I don't believe in God anymore because there's no real proof of the existence of God itself

2|6
    0|0
    • Truth, sister.

• Show All
    • That's your opinion. I can only lead the horse to water... I can't make it drink.

• Its not an opinion, its a fact. You didn't present any evidence beyond saying that everything is evidence (without so much as a reason why that's the case). You then followed that up with the claim that we should agree with all the opinions that people smarter than us hold. When i highlighted why that was silly, you ignored my point.

• There’s so much evidence that shows God is real. Not only that, I think that if you don’t search for God with an open heart and open mind, you’ll never find him.

3|1
    2|4
    • So to answer your question, nothing will be able to change my mind. I went through a time in my life where I didn’t think God was real, I actually didn’t know how to process that he was real so I just ignored the fact that he was. So now that I know what I know, I’d never go back. Nothing could change my mind or heart about the loving God I follow.

• Show All
    • "Why are they demonic?"
      I imagine it is because anything that causes you to doubt your faith is demonic. Maybe even something that tries to cause you to doubt your faith; which would include all atheists.

• I figured that might be her answer but I wanted to be sure.

• He has kind of showed me He is real by the number of times I could have died in my life but was spared. I've counted at least 5 incidents that I remember that didn't seem like a coincidence that I didn't die or at least got really messed up, but there are probably a lot more I'm not aware of.

0|0
    0|1
    • The question is what would it take for you to abandon your belief as opposed to what makes you believe more.

• Me being dead would kind of make me wonder.

• But if there is no God then there is likely no afterlife so you being dead wouldn't offer you the opportunity to ponder anything

• I would need definite absolute proof that God exists. I am not entirely sure how that would be proven to me, but it would have to be something more than just a miracle (right now I explain miracles as coincidence or luck ). It would have to be something that could not be staged in anyway. Even if I did become religious , I wouldn't go to church services or become deeply involved with the religion , so I am probably better off being non-religious or atheist.

0|1
    0|0
  • If my life genuinely made a complete 180 degree turn after praying or believing which hasn't happened out of all the times as a child that I prayed when I did really believe. We only became worse and worse. Some would say I'm not a TRUE CHRISTIAN yet they make it out to be as if you're chosen to have a good life, and not if you believe wholeheartedly. Doesn't make sense in my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not a lot. Although god makes no sense to me logically, another really desperate part of me wants the comfort you can get from god. i kinda want to believe in a god but my logic just keeps cancelling the possibility out. just some sort of outworldly experience where i like 'see the light' or sth lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • If religion wasn’t an excuse people used to be hateful and violent and barbaric then I maybe I’d give it a chance.

0|4
    0|1
    • It's very sad that all that people see are the bad apples, but they don't see the true believers who love other people and help others. Also, atheists are also capable of hatred and violence, and actually the greatest genocide of people in the history was done by atheists (communists).

• Show All
    • I’m going off of textbook definition. What you’re on is something you made up in your head.

• I don't know why someone keeps deleting my reply, but I did not make the definition in my head, I was taught it and it is compatible with dictionary definitions. Which textbooks are you using?

• Was religious as a child. Became atheist as a teenager and young adult. Turned back to religiosity as an adult.

I don't think there'll be an argument to make me change my belief at this point, since I found I can have my atheistic doubts, delve into the concept of God, and enjoy the collectivism of religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • As an agnostic I fully admit to not knowing wtf is going on as far as creation, the afterlife possible guidelines or rulebooks for life. I guess I’d want to see where their logic for many of the writings is or if they have been tampered with by man why it is they felt it should be allowed to occur etc. It’s truly difficult for me to just believe that one of these many paths is the true one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Real, undeniable proof. Hard facts, evidence, that anyone can see/support and can not deny what it is.

1|2
    0|0
  • Actual proof or at least a proper set of different evidence that leaves no plausible room for other explanations. Basically the same criteria that are necessary for a scientific hypothesis to become accepted as a scientific theory.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm atheist, The only way for me to believe in god is to see him. But since religions are all about faith, I guess i'll stay atheist for the rest of my life! 😆

1|3
    0|1
  • I'm agnostic and for me to change my belief it'd have to take loads and I mean LOADS of peer reviewed research in order to confirm the proof of a higher being and the universe in general. Id have to go through it and make sure its logical and all. A Thousand and some year old Bible does not count by any means.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a atheist the only way i would believe in god is if he parted the clouds right now and smacked me across the face.

0|1
    0|0
  • Id scrap mine if it turns out something else was actuallty defined. Like dying and its totally different truth or seeing the defined source of life (if one,) or defined links that fill the holes to life.

So same as you. Actual seeing, proof and something defined. I've seen God, in fact people are presently just flying out to see God now. 16 hr trip from America.

My friend went last autumn. Bible prophecy builds a timeline and defining link to observe Gods work and behavior so.

Ill be pretty shocked if this isn't the needle in the wood.

0|0
    0|0
  • If someone proves that their belief is more accurate than mine and their beliefs has no flaws at all..😊😊

0|0
    0|0
  • Jesus would have to come Himself to make me believe he's Buddha

0|1
    0|0
  • I probably need to go to hell or meet God once to Change my belief.

1|2
    0|0
  • I was pretty catholic as kid/Teen. Then my grandpa died and I was so mad and disappointed that I'm now very inactive and full of doubt

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolute empirical physical proof, I'll pray to whoever if there's actually abundant proof that they exist and what I'm doing does matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 41

• Atheist. I’d need some sufficient positive evidence to point towards a god, or god like thing.
    Most gods make verifiable claims like prayer, order of creation, and much more. If these could be verified it would at the very least give me a suspicion, and when we’re able to demonstrate a causal connection I’d believe it.

If the god proposition produces no verifiable claims than its existence is no different than its nonexistence and I see no reason to believe it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm agnostic, in order for me to be something other then agnostic I would need evidence. We have no evidence for atheism or theism (both are equally absurd yet valid when you actually think about it) so evidence would be required. That would mean testable evidence, and as you pointed out something that can be confirmed from multiple sources, something that can be experimented with and shown to be true or at least shown to be not false.

1|3
    0|0
  • I'm not religious because there's no evidence that religious practice is useful, except perhaps as a way to create community.

0|1
    0|0
    • Says religion is not useful... Then says it can create one of the most unique and important things in the human race

• Show All
    • We now have majority secular nations that are functioning very well, and by most measures are happier than more religious nations.

• Almost all "Muslim" countries you think of were secular. Turkey, morrocco, Egypt, Syria

• Im pagan and I've had enough interactions by this point my core beliefs are pretty set. I do think we aren't actually able to understand it while we are alive though so my views gradually change as I find new information.

But as for what could maje me stop believing in gods and goddesses? With trance states I've encountered them too consistently to be able to discount it at this point. The word god or goddess is just a label though so that part could be changed I suppose.

0|0
    1|2
  • Well disproving the existence of Gods is basically impossible by definition, so the only option here would be if a god appeared in person and was like "You, fuck you. You are our least favorite human and I will make you suffer forever". Then, I would pretty quick stop following any religion cause regardless of whether it's all true, I now know the gods are dicks lol

0|0
    0|0
  • As an athiest, I'd probably have to see some real "divine intervention" to believe it.

1|3
    0|0
  • Its funny how a lot of people say God is not real, there isn't any proof that he isn't but if you believe in something else or in nothing thats your stuff, a lot of people also laugh at people who are religious. For me I would never change my religion, I don't know how is called correctly in English but recently i got "confirmation" not sure sbout correct translation because Im from Croatia, anyways Im still full of hope.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a confirmed deist you would have to prove to me that my experiences (gnosis) was somehow faulty. Further I have no. problem with aliens as gods. A sufficiently more advanced being who. is willing to help me along my path (my gods don't require worship per se') teach me things about myself and the world around me, then I don't see any conflict.

0|0
    0|0
  • Christian and I would have to say that I would need to see what is in store for an afterlife if one existed. And, if an after life existed, what sort of god governs it. Like you proposed, I would need to be able to rule out any corporeal explanation for why I saw what I saw.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was a very religious person about 3-4 years ago, but as I grew up, I started to realize the idea of there being God, Heaven and Hell was absurd and although I still think there is a supreme entity that created us and the universe, I believe the religions are a fraud and were created to manipulate people and give kings more power over them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m an atheist (kind of agnostic in the sense that I think many things happen for a reason) but for me to believe in let’s say Christianity for example, god him self would have to come down and prove it to me in person, but that’s not going to happen because the bible is a myth, my point is I need undeniable proof not a book and like I said the books are clearly not true which is why there is none

0|0
    0|0
  • It's all hypothetical, I think like all humans who crave social-relationships that are based on a mutual understanding of the world around them religion is the foundation and the basis of my reality, the enemies of the Christian faith and any weapon they may have could not waver my faith in Jesus and an afterlife. It is also the reason why I have respect for other faiths.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being an atheist all the way there is nothing that could get me to change my view and make me believe in a god because I am that convinced that there will never be the physical proof of a divine being. We humans and our desire to not have any unknowns in life conjured up religion as a way to explain what happens after our life ends. And found it also serves to help control the masses so it's a win win. I believe more in astrology being a thing than I can ever believe in religion being a thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I admire Jesus, he taught a lot of great common sense. I try and live my life the way he taught. I don't follow a religion to the exact letter of its script. The written word can be manipulated too, so I believe some of his teachings were corrupted by the humans writing the bible for their own power hungry agenda. I wish Muslims would also do this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and belief but my belief in God is entirely due to common sense. If life is just random evolution, explain the infinity of space? Also the infinity of things getting smaller. What was there before The Big Bang? These things are unexplainable. Their has to be a higher power behind this world.

0|0
    1|0
    • That doesn't really answer the question

• I wouldn't change my belief for anything. It is based on common sense. It is not a religion, just a personal belief. Anybody that follows a religion to the letter, what ever version (denomination) is a fool. Some man made religions have some proper evil rules in them. The people who carry them out, thinking they are justified deserve karma to eventually pay them back brutally. Karma always does in my experience.

• "the only way I could believe is if God/Gods were able to provide me with the necessary proof beyond a shadow of a doubt." This^^^^^

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't think anything will make me religious at this point. I was born Catholic, but by my teens I'd basically stopped caring, and by twenties I was done with it

1|0
    0|0
  • Literally not possible because I 100% believe in the testimony of the Holy Spirit bearing of Christ and the gospel, but to answer your question.

In order for me to entirely scratch Christianity out of my life if ever possible, I will have to find a error in God's word the Bible.

Trust me, when I tell you I have sought for errors out of curiosity and even spent like a hour in a half on a athiest site reading all their supposed Bible contradictions, and I admit, some scriptures look like a direct contradiction, but when you properly divide the word and know the scriptures entirely, you clearly see there isn't contradiction at all.

0|0
    2|1
    • What if something completely contradictory took place. The example i've been using is this one: what if aliens came down to Earth and explained that all life that exists on this planet exists because of them. They have record of an early Earth being selected, they have records (and examples) of the first species of bacteria placed here, and they have records of everything that took place since. They are able to show the gradual evolution of life on Earth, the development of the first modern humans and ultimately the creation of all religions, displaying them to be nothing more than stories. They beings are able to demonstrate a deep understanding of science and have found a way to explain to us how the universe works, how it was created, whether there are other universes, etc. They can create planets, they can create life, they can create entire galaxies if they choose and while they appear God-like in some ways, there are not.
      Would this impact your belief?

• In that case I will abandon my belief completely, because only God can create life, galaxies etc.

• I used to be agnostic, but I realized I liked having someone to pray to when things that were out of my hands got bad. So I started being religious. I don't think it works, but having something to do helps with my anxiety issues.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really would prefer to believe, but I don't know what it would take. Proof or a convincing sham. Even if I were duped, it would be preferable to not believing.

0|0
    0|0
    • Say aliens had been recording all life on earth as part of an experiment. They had placed early life here and had monitored literally everything that took place on Earth with species cameras that are more technologically advanced than anything we've created.
      They can trace back through all of human history and demonstrate the creation of religious stories and this includes highlighting all the untrue parts (which for this example is almost everything).
      Would that sway your belief?

• I already don't believe, I guess that unlikely scenario would make me not believe a little harder? I'm not sure what you mean otherwise...

• Ah sorry, I misread your comment. My mistake!

• As someone said, undeniable proof. Once there's a god smiting people and flying on the skies I'll start believing lol. Unless it's aliens trolling us

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes