What would it take for you to change your belief (or lack thereof)?

If you're religious, what would need to happen for you to scrap your belief entirely?

If you're atheist/agnostic, what would it take for you to strongly believe in a God/Gods?

I feel like a lot of people will chicken out of this answer so in the essence of comradery, allow me to go first.

As an antitheist/atheist, for me to believe in God/Gods id have to have an interaction with it/them. This interaction would have to also be experienced by a range and number of other people with whom I could confirm details and rule out other possible explanations such as drugs or mental illness or some sort of trick. I would then need to establish some sort of proof that would separate the God/Gods from advanced aliens.
So I guess you could say that the only way I could believe is if God/Gods were able to provide me with the necessary proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.

#BakedHaggis #Cammyscontroversialquestions

2743

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm Christian. What would it take for me not to believe in God? Quite a few things, to be honest. For starters, the world and society would have to not be turning out how it states in the Bible. The Bible would have to be a complete misrepresentation of society and the future of the world. The testimonies and teachings of Christianity would have to make absolutely no sense and just be completely unreasonable, which it doesn't to me. The very existence of a God, or a higher power would have to be COMPLETELY outside the realm of possibilities, which it isn't. I would have to somehow enjoy my life more being an athiest, rather than a Christian and that wouldn't happen. Being an athiest would have to give me some sense of fufillment in my life, which it wouldn't. Being an athiest would have to objectively be more reasonable in the long run, which it isn't, because I would much rather end up in Heaven.. even if there is a only a possibility of it existing. All in all, I would never give up Christianity.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Lots to unpack here. If you'd like to talk about some of your points in detail I have some questions. (Idk even know if this site has a PM feature though?)

• Nothing would make me renounce my faith in God because I do not want to go to hell after I die. Before I was secure in my faith there were things that could make me renounce my faith

1. If God stopped forgiving me when I did wrong
    2. If God was proven to be unjust or morally corrupt
    3. If God was proven to not be real
    4. If God's standards were unattainable and I didn't think I could ever life up to them
    5. If God told me I had no chance of going to heaven after I die

Basically that is all

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Right but thats a strange way to look at it. If you stopped believing in God then surely you wouldn't believe in hell, right? So the question is what would make that happen rather than actually asking you to renounce your faith.

• Fun fact: Big Bang theory was first proposed by a Catholic priests Lemaitre and was originally rejected by atheists like Hoyle for being too Christian, as it suggested that the universe had a starting point like in the Book of Genesis. Hoyle believed universe had no beginning and end.

• I am aware of the origins of the term "big bang theory". Well, you do you, brother! Whatever works!

Most Helpful Guys

• If some omnipotent & omniscient god or gods exist, why not some definite, irrefutable proof? A personal experience, a public display, just something that I can experience that cannot be explained away by any other means.

If it / they are truly omniscient, then it / they already know what needs to be done. And if it / they are omnipotent, it / they can pull it off effortlessly.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I think my atheism has hit a point where there is literally nothing that could convince me of a “god” that deserves worship. Here’s why:
    1. A God can’t exist in a duality. If there was a god and something external to said god that that god could interact with the possibility of something being out of that god’s knowledge or control would be created. To me if you are not allknowing and allpowerful you’re not a god. You may be a being more powerful than me but there are humans far more powerful than me and I choose not to worship them.
    2. If god doesn’t exist in a duality then everything is a part of god including me. I see no point in my body’s cells worshiping my body. It wouldn’t change how I functioned in the slightest. In the same way I don’t think me as a part of god would have any reason to worship myself, the collective god. Respect and avoid damaging yes but worship no.

So to me a god could exist and I’d do my best to treat it with compassion but I’m not devoting myself to it just like I wouldn’t devote myself to the US president or the company I work for. So the existence of god has no relation to my decision to avoid religion. I call myself an atheist because as far as I can tell the only god I’d be willing to acknowledge as actually a god is the one that encompasses everything and so far that god seems to be fairly indifferent.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • However I do think religion has purpose.