What Is The Distinction Between 'Religion' and 'Spirituality'?

I have a big interest in the Religion/Spirituality topic on GAG, but every so often, I'll come across replies that make this seemingly arbitrary distinction between the two or that a particular religion, isn't actually a religion at all, with no more explanation given.

One example, I saw a guy say 'Oh, Christianity isn't a religion - it's a revelation through Christ'.
Like, what on Earth is that supposed to mean? Is a belief based on a 'Revelation' somehow mutually exclusive with being a religion? Why?
I'm interested in anyone's input on what the difference between religion and spirituality is, but I'm even more interested in hopefully hearing from one of these people who makes a distinction between the faith they belong to, and why it's not actually a religion -

How do you define religion?
How do you define spirituality / your non-religious idea of Faith X?

My understanding is that 'Spirituality' is just a catch-all for a variety of supernatural beliefs that frequently appear outside of specific faiths, or across a range of faiths - For example, 'Karma' or souls/ghosts. These beliefs are often held by people, regardless of whether or not they fit with or conflict with their religion/lack thereof. Is Spirituality just a choose-your-own adventure religion?

841

Most Helpful Guys

• Religion is basically organised spirituality. Besides the fact that one of them is individualistic and the other is a group of people, there really isn't a difference.

• That is incorrect.
      Religion is man made. It could be completely false and based on nothing more than ones imagination.
      Spirituality is worshipping the creator of the universe.

• Rigorous? Jesus dying on the cross for all our sins wasn't rigorous enough for you?
      If you have already made your decision about faith after it first appeared in you like I was talking about, what do you want from me? Why are you arguing or debating depending what your view is?
      Science is now realizing that fossils and formation of geology is more consistent with a flood than anything else.
      Look up in the history books where there were over 500 wittenesses who saw Jesus alive after her was buried. It's there if you want it

• @penguin1965 Yeah, but here's the thing, we only have anecdotal evidence, not to mention these anecdotes were made decades later. I mean that is very very unreliable.

Funny you should say that. We can actually calculate using logarithmic functions how old fossils are. Yeah, the flood was a myth.

• "Is Spirituality just a choose-your-own adventure religion?"

I agree with your take on it.

I'd separate them most based on organization, commit and the effect on everyday life. A religion can require a lot of commitment and really change how your daily life operates, while spirituality is just clinging to the ideas of the supernatural without any real commitment to it.. it's vague and pretty much whatever the believer wants it to be.

It's difficult to classify "spirituality" though, since beliefs concerning the supernatural is of course nonsense and doesn't really follow much, if any logical patterns or structure.

• Thanks for mho cutie.

• You're welcome.

I must admit, I'm disappointed by most of the answers from theists/'spiritualists'. Too many try to explain an ambiguous concept, by appealing to meaningless gibberish and one liners.

Most Helpful Girls

• To me, religion is a group of people who believe strongly on their God/Gods. Spirituality, (I think) is where you believe in Spirits/Ghosts, maybe even Angels and a God, but are not Religiously following some bible.

I think Religion can go too far sometimes. There's believing in a God/Gods, then there's being obsessed with it and sounding crazy when they quote the bible all the time.

• I think religion is essentially just more specialized form of spirituality but somehow religion intrinsically implies to me that there’s some focus on one or multiple deities.

• Like there’s some belief in the divine or sacred, totemism is a good example for that believe in more primitive religions

• Spirituality just implies that you have an open mind in a way - spirituality can also encompass beliefs in magic and/or ghosts

• Neat picture, I just love the way you capture yourself fantastic job.