Should Men and Women wait until marriage?

Is waiting until marriage some outdated christian dogmatic rule, or is it something sacred and beautiful between a man and a woman that society has lost? Leave your opinions below.
  • 1. Wait until marriage
  • 2. Sex before marriage
  • 3. Don't get married
    Vote C
Genuinely suprised how many people are waiting until marriage.
Thought it would be around 2-5%
I come from a traditional family so it was kinda normal to wait.

84123

Most Helpful Girls

• I personally still feel that sex is a sacrad act of intimacy that should be shared with someone whom you trust and love - does it have to be a person whom you're married to though? for me personally, no. Because if I love and trust the person I'm with at that moment in my relationship, I care to show and express my affection towards him physically as well.

• Listen. The whole purpose of courtship is to build love and trust and understand who you claim you love. So after courtship (called dating without sex) then you can proceed cause you have proven this person trusty of you Love. And you have proven this person to be the one you will like to be with.

• @Gord777 I however am not one who personally does "courtship". My values and standards of dating seem to differ from yours. I believe that showing ways of intimacy comes in many forms of expression, physical intamacy as one of them with one whom I'm in a serious committed relationship with.

• Your opinion isn't factual. There is no evidence to back it. So it's your personal opinion. And guess what you on your own (God doesn't support you).

• Yes
    get out of your bubble, western world is a minority. Muslims, Hindus, Asians still wait until marriage because they have self-respect and dignity. Marriage was made to protect women from playboys and womanisers, from boys who use and dump women, who get women pregnant and then run away, to prevent guys using girls for fun only. Marriage was made to prevent confusion that a girl goes through in terms of whether she should trust a guy or not. It prevents trust issues.
    If a guy truly loves a woman, he will marry her and he will wait until marriage.
    If he is just after lust, fun and timepass then he will not marry her.
    Marriage makes everything crystal clear.
    Girls, if a guy cannot marry you then he doesn't love you, he has commitment issues, he is not serious about you, he doesn't respect, he only lusts you, if a guy can't marry you, don't give him your body.

And guys treat girls like you would your sister, daughter and mother to be treated.

Marriage makes sure a girl is not used as an object. A lot of men pretend they love women just to get sex, a lot of men make false promises like, "I will spend the rest of my life with you, I will never leave you, I will take a bullet for you," They say these things to make girls fall in their trap. They play games. They fool girls and take advantage of their innocence and vulnerability. Those are the same guys who would resort to violence if someone tried to lay a finger on their sister, daughter or mother. A woman is somebody's daughter, sister, somebody's future wife and future mother. Western culture ended marriage to treat women like objects, like garments that can be worn and taken off any time. It made it easy for guys to come and go whenever they want. Now, a woman's dignity, relationship and true love have become a joke.

True love= marriage

• I live in Asian and Muslim nations and they don't wait for marraige. In fact their morals are way below western standards

• 2d

@MementoMori_ nothing in front of millions of Muslims killed in those 8 places.

• 2d

"nothing in front of millions of Muslims killed in those 8 places. "

The majority of Muslims killed in this documented list of 129 Islamic attacks in 25 countries, in which 646 people were killed and 729 injured... **** JUST IN THE LAST 30 DAYS ****

*** WERE MUSLIMS SLAUGHTERED BY OTHER MUSLIMS ***

These are not human beings, they are BARBARIANS who murder their own people like some kind of brain damaged animals. They have no concern at all for human life. They are monsters.

www.thereligionofpeace.com/.../attacks.aspx

Most Helpful Guys

• Generally there is no right answer. It depends a great deal on the people involved - their age, maturity and so forth.

In my case, I lost my virginity at age 16. Was I ready? Hard to say but it worked out well enough and I have nothing but fond memories. Over the course of my life I had sex with 11 women. I have gotten three women pregnant. One that ended in a miscarriage and I did not even know about till much later, then one that ended in an abortion and that haunts me to this day. (I would have loved that baby with all my heart but the woman I was with had other ideas.)

Then there is my girlfriend, whom I have lived with for over a decade and with whom I have three children. They are the center of my universe. I love them with all my heart and nothing makes me happier than when I am with them. (The first two were unplanned pregnancies, the third was planned.) Sex with my girlfriend is magical. Whether romantic or more animal, it is like the whole universe shrinks down to just us.

We had talked about marriage and - being otherwise rather conservative and even religious to a degree - had every intention of getting married. However, somewhere along the line we just got the feeling that an expensive ceremony, a pricey ring and a permission slip from the state would cheapen what we have - a combination of the deepest emotional connection, intellectual attraction and - yes - raw animal instinct and so much more that I can barely describe.

So why go through all this? Because at any point on that continuum the wise decision would have been to wait till marriage. (Especially with the woman who aborted my child. I still even now cannot tell you how much that hurts and how I feel like I failed to protect someone I loved.)

Suffice to say I can hardly claim that men and women should wait till marriage as my girlfriend and I don't even want to be married. We love what we share - just us - natural and beautiful and elemental.

Still, I cannot deny that as a rule it is wiser. Certainly the data are clear. People who wait till marriage stay together longer. (In that, my girlfriend and I are the exception, not the rule.) Children do better. Society is more stable with far less crime, child abuse, child abandonment and abuse of women. For that matter, men who get married live longer than unmarried men.

In that, it is not just religious - though religion is important to it - but deeply cultural. So the answer is that what is good for society may or may not work for the individual. Sex is among the deepest drives in the human animal and without some societal regulation of it there is a tendency for it to lead to very destructive behaviors.

So I find myself in the awkward position of advocating a sort of "do as I say, not as I do." SHOULD men and women wait? The data says yes - and I take refuge only in the fact that there are exceptions to every rule.

• I would have waited if not for my first girlfriend convincing me we WERE going to get married so it was okay to have sex. That being said, now I would do what I did. Only have sex with a very few and only if the potential for marriage is there. Sex is my number one priority in life as shallow as that sounds it is true. Therefore I would need to know she is compatible with my needs and has the physical traits I require. Nipples, labia and skin/hair preferences. I am super picky about the way women look in those areas. More so than the face. That’s how important it is, to me anyways.