Can atheists go to heaven?

A kid once asked Pope Francis:"will my father go to heaven, he was an atheist but he was a good man"
The Pope said:"yes of course, good people make it to heaven, God won't let a good man down"

Is it really or the Pope just didn't want to make the kid sad? There is good atheists who doesn't beleive but don't do bad things either.
https://youtu.be/bRbUTfSds0U

1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• That's for God to decide. A question for the atheist, tho: if you don't believe in God, why would you want to go to heaven?

2|4
    1|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The pope is a liar and of the devil. No, ain't threatening nobody, I am telling the truth. You got to have a relationship with Jesus and know that he died for your sins if you expect to go to heaven. You got to repent, and believe that he is your savior. You got to convert into the things of God you cannot be of the world and expect to enter Heaven. If you're going to enter the heaven the only thing that you going to deal with is the Judgment seat of the Lord before you are sent off into the fiery pit. Sickening to know people don't think about these things seriously into the end up in that position. I've heard many stories of atheist who died and had to experience spiritual things are both heavily, and the demonically for them to really make a choice whether or not they're going to continue to live like the living or repent of their sins and tell the world of the Gospel of Jesus. You know how many good people went to hell because they did not repent? What God has said there was no one that is good, not one. If people really wants to know if they're going to make it to heaven or not, they better read that Bible, and not be listening to every single tongue. I have atheist friends as well as family members. And I pray all the time for them as well as others to come and serve the Lord before it is too late. Because we only got one life, life is short, and time isn't going to wait on anybody. But everybody has choices on how they want to live and where they want to go. The one thing I try to correct as I'm sure a good amount of other believers do as well, is that God does not send us to hell but we do do our actions. So if he says throughout his entire word that no Liars, fornicators, adulterers, drunkards, extortionist Kamasutra is not going to be welcome to the kingdom of heaven, then the question is what do you think? Plenty of atheists have said that they do not believe in either heaven or hell but the reality is is not what I'm not they believe it it's a fact of life that heaven and hell do exist it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to accept it. They don't have to accept it. but they will go to hell according to what the word of God says. My dad always said. His word, his rules. You didn't make hell just to put us there. Hell was never meant for human beings. That as long as people choose to do wickedness and be diluted in lie, God has no choice but to allow them to go where they choose to go. Like Morpheus said in The Matrix to Neo, there's the blue pill, and is the red pill. What will you choose?

0|3
    0|4
    • paragraphs anyone?

• Show All
    • God's Own creation, and son was jealous of him, and wanted to be God himself. Satan is a spoiled brat mad that his own father disowned him. Why do you think so many of you atheist has such a God complex? you hate God but yet you don't know him either. Many of you knew him at some point but you forsaken for the world. And now you want everybody else to be bitter along with you.

• U do know that it's just a story which hasn't been written down.

• To ask if an athiest can enter heaven is like asking if any stranger can just enter your house. Because they chose not to get into a relationship with God and be part of his family, the answer would be no.

Good works and deeds don't send people to heaven. Simply accepting Christ, his death for your sins and following him is what saves people an and allows us to enter his house. To Pridfully think, you don't need to believe in God but do good works, is a sin. Its pride. It's not about you doing a small amount of bad things in life, because we all have fallen short under the grace of God, from justing sinning.
    Also what may be morally "good" to the athiest, may not be good to God.

Heaven is like God's house. An athiest would be no different than a burglar or stranger coming into His house ( as they never chose, throughout their life on earth, to be in a relationship with God, despite God calling them to be part of the family). God says believers of Christ are His children (john 1:12), but since Non-believers choose not to be His children and part of his family by accepting Jesus, then they have no relationship with Him.

1|3
    0|1
    • Here are some scriptures that state how Accepting Christ and having a relationship with Him, is the only way to enter the kingdom of God.

(Matthew 7:21-23) “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.“Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

(Luke 18:17) “Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child ( humbly accepting Christ, and not Pridfullyhoping that your works can just make you saved) will by no means enter it.”

• Show All
    • @House5plusforth
      Well sir I don't follow religion, churches no people in this world. I choose to focus on my relationship with God alone, listen and understand what He speaks in his Word and not on lies. Thank you for explaining to me what you meant by form and of the religion freedom act, but because accepting christ is simply about having an intimate personal relationship with God, I choose to just focus on Him and not position him to a "religion".
      I don't follow pastors I only desire to follow christ.
      I would go to church to praise God alone, not the pastor, priest, or anyone else.
      I go to church also to listen on what the pastor says about Him and what he also discovers from God in his personal experiences with him; not to follow the pastor nor to abide his own ideas that go against God.
      If a pastor were to preach on anything about God, they would have to provide scriptures and understanding from Gods word to me to back it up. If they simply believed in the idea of creating and making lies of God, I would go from them, since I know their lies are false, dangerous and against whats true. So I would just stay away from any church that speaks lies of God; not to mention that the bible itself warned of false preachers and philosophers rising up to decieve individuals.
      Jeremiah 23:16
      " This is what the LORD Almighty says: “Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD."
      Overall I stand with what I understand God says in his word, not forms, pastors, popes, the 5 churches and etc.

Have a good day sir. I wish you blessed healthy days.

• Matthew 24:24 also shows His warning of false prophet's. But yeah have a good day sir

• The question implies that God or heaven is real, which is highly debatable in and of itself. In order to believe in it, you really do have to deny facts and have "blind faith", but when we actually look at the facts... We really don't know a single thing about the afterlife or lack thereof.
    So hypothetically, if Heaven is real and God is actually as loving as we're told he is, I have a hard time believing that he'd hold someone's belief system as more important than their values, morals, and character. Being religious does not make someone a good person and not having a religion does not make someone a bad person. Amazing people have been atheists and absolute monsters have been Christian. A truly benevolent, fair, and loving God would allow someone into Heaven based on who they were as people and nothing else.
    Besides, God was the one who created us (hypothetically) exactly as we are. Why would he give us free will, scientific minds, and the desire to find objective truth in the universe around us and then punish us by sending us to Hell for using those exact skills?

0|1
    0|1
  • The Pope is a deceiver from hell. Athiests are haters of God.

Athiests hate God so much that they refuse to even acknowledge or be thankful to the very being that gives them sunlight, rain, food, oxgen etc.

Atheists are going straight to hell upon physical death.

1|1
    0|2
    • Many of them are like this, and I agree about that. But some are simply more agnostic like, who are searching for a reason to beleive. Probably everyone came to a point where he questions the existence of God. And some never even heard about jesus or know his story like people in south Africa or Afghanistan etc

• @Hispanic-"Cool"-Guy lol how can I hate something that doesn't exist?

• It's not my place to say.

I am not God, therefore, I cannot decide who goes to heaven and who does not. Only God can judge, not me.

0|5
    0|1
  • If Catholic pedophiles and Terrorist psycho Muslims think they have a shot... why not?

Religion is not proof of character but often just a cover to mask the bad ones

0|3
    0|1
    • Catholic pedophiles don't beleive in catholicsm. They just become priests because it's hard to suspect a priest. As for terrorists it's what the Quran says. Kill non believers and go to heaven.

• Show All
    • Have a nice day.

• "Catholic paedophiles". LOL. As if other sects of Christianity don't have a problem of paedophiles? There's A LOT of paedophile evangelical preachers. As if there aren't paedophiles in other religions or those that don't have a religion?

• If he was a good man and he didn't go to heaven just because he didn't believe, or because he couldn't say something without having a proof, wouldn't that make God rather cruel?
    Since this is about Christianity, in the 10 commandments it's not written that you can't believe. It just says that you shouldn't believe in another God. Wouldn't that mean that you can be a good person in the eyes of a religion without having to believe in it?

0|0
    0|0
  • That is sweet he didn’t have to say that p, I love it when priests, Christian and Catholic’s actually do so, etching that is spiritual.

As a heathen I don’t believe in their God but that is still nice and made my day.

0|1
    0|0
  • The last few popes did not follow the catholic faith at all and they have ruined the catholic faith even catholic's say themselves.
    Now with Islam no an Atheist cannot go to Heaven but with that being said. Everyone has free will. And I'm saying live your life how you wish but I believe in Islam so I will follow it.
    It won't matter after I die if I go to Heaven or Hell.
    Of course the goal is Heaven.
    But it is the Unknown.
    And I wouldn't be the only one to go to Hell if I was wrong.

0|1
    1|0
  • No, if you do not accept God paying for and taking away your sins, then you are still guilty, and God cannot allow a criminal into Heaven as He is holy and just.

And considering an atheist attempts to convince him or herself that God is not real, they will die in their sins.

0|1
    0|0
  • The only way to get to heaven is by accepting Jesus as your savior or whatever. By that definition, no. If heaven was real, I would rather not be there with forgiven rapists and such.

However I do think it's sweet and adorable that the Pope was consoling him, even with the comfort of a lie.

1|1
    1|1
  • The Pope was very misleading. The Pope and the Catholic church have become way too liberal. So I'm glad I left the Catholic church for another church.

0|1
    0|0
    • You really don't have to leave the catholic church for a Pope, Catholicism is based on saint Peter and jesus not Pope Francis

• According to Catholic doctrine the Pope speaks for Jesus and Peter.

• The pope just said that so that the kid wouldn't be sad. Which was wrong of him, he shouldn't have lied to him.

But who all we know maybe the father had a revelation and accepted him before he died, it is possible and it has happened before. Not saying that did happen but that it's possible.

Unfortunately the truth of it is only those that believe in and accepting God and follow his word are allowed into heaven.

0|2
    0|0
  • No they can't, just as they've always said anyone born before the spread of christianity can't, and unbaptized babies can't, etc.

You can pretty much just ignore anything the current Pope says, most of what comes out directly goes against the teachings of Catholicism.

0|0
    0|0
    • Anyone before christanity can't? Doesn't that involve moses, David, etc?

• No because they were Jews, so they're still in the Abrahamic line.

• Well it won’t be good for PR if the pope says ‘sorry. Your dad is rotting in hell right now being eternally tortured. But Jesus still loves you!’

1|2
    0|0
    • Homofuge: Fortunately, the bible does not teach an ever burning hell. It teaches that the wicked will burn for their sins, but not for all eternity. The burn for ever is misunderstood as burning through all eternity, but actually means burn up. Just as a match burns forever, once lit. It burns, is consumed by the flame, and burned forever. The bible also teaches that the wicked shall not be. To not be, they must die, and not be burning.

• Show All
    • 1d

@markscott perhaps you can quote some scriptures to support your statements. Revelation 20:12-15 states that anyone's name that is not in the Book of Life on Judgement Day will be thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 21:8 says the same thing. Revelation 21:27 says anyone who is unclean shall not be entering Heaven.

• 1d

@Gavyn The chasm was talking about everyone who had died and were waiting in a holding place. On one side were the righteous, and on the other side of the great chasm were those who died in their sins. This is before the Great White Throne Judgement where everyone will be judged according to what they have done, which seems to indicate there may be levels of punishment. So good people will be less harshly judged than wicked and evil people. But the fact is you don't get into Heaven by your good deeds, but by believing that Jesus died on the cross for the sole purpose of being a holy sacrifice and shedding his blood for all who have sinned and believed in Him. If you don't believe there is no redemption for you and you will die unsaved.

• If I were God and there was a heaven, I'd say yes. I would recognize that judging people based on their ability to accept my existence without evidence is obviously nuts, and good people deserve my love whether they believe in me or not. Moreover I would understand that very few people truly believe in me at all, because if they trusted in me and the devil to sort them out, they wouldn't bother judging each other on their side of eternity.

And yet they do. Funny how that works.

0|0
    0|0
  • to my understanding, they have to be baptized and accept Jesus as their Lord and savior according to Baptist Christians. Apostolic is more complicated.. If an atheist is willing to lie to get in I mean I guess.. I don't know.

0|0
    0|1
  • Here's , me as an Atheists going to haven (heaven) when I am High on weed and I pass out from being Soul High.
    I then is able to WAKE up from all that being high.
    We go to heaven our way, DON"T DEW ME AS AN ATHEISTS, ok.
    Little One Stay in school don't think of nothing else and Mind your PARENTS , Nadim171.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty sure that belief said something about doing works and how that was just fine but then again it also said you had to believe soooooo who knows in that belief but if I were a betting man given the fact that god in the story would have created a hell in the 1st place I would say no

0|0
    0|0
  • The Pope is a lair.

Romans 10:9 (MEV)

"That if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Theirs no other way.

0|1
    0|0
  • If they don’t have Jesus in their heart, then they go to hell

1|3
    1|2
  • If atheists don't believe in heaven, why would they care? But most Christians, myself included, would say no, probably not. It's up for God to decide, not us.

0|0
    0|0
  • The tenants of religions are whatever the people will them to be. Hell didn't even exist as a concept when Christianity first appeared, it was added only later.

0|0
    0|1
  • I believe denying the Holy Spirit is the only thing guaranteed to keep someone out of heaven, so atheists are not allowed. Acts of pedophilia, murder, rape, or any other combination of sin will be forgiven through confession

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not Catholic anymore, but Pope Francis's words are wise.

0|1
    0|2
  • Humans made up the concept of an afterlife because we fear death. We are a narcisstic species that want to be eternal.

0|1
    0|1
  • No because heaven doesn't exist so no one goes to heaven

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not the title that gets you in heaven, it's how well you listen to God speaking to you. God speaks to everyone, whether they realize it or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on which branch of Christianity or religion you believes in. Some religious believes only believers can go to Heaven, while others believes every good people can go there. Some even believes even the most sinful humans have a chance because they think God is responsible for bringing sin into the world and giving the humanity a bad nature.

I'm not a Christian though. If there's a God and a Heaven, only God can judge and we won't know what it thinks. But if God is nice, it would make sense it would take responsibility for it's mistake in bringing sin to the world and therefor allow everyone to go to Heaven. I don't think atheism is a sin though. It's just critical thinking and questioning things. If God exists, it may have made them that way and can only blame itself to teach them critical thinking. So sending them to Hell would be unfair.

0|0
    0|0
  • no. if u dont believe in God then u can't possibly live by his standards which makes u ungodly. there is no place in heaven for the ungodly

0|2
    0|1
    • 1d

No one can live by God's standards for His standard is to be perfect, like your Father in Heaven is perfect. Even one lousy sin is enough to make you not perfect. But God sent his Son to die for us and shed His blood as a sacrifice to forgive sins once and for all. Before Jesus died men had to sacrifice innocent lambs and sprinkle their blood on the mercy seat on top of the Ark of the Covenant. That forgave men their sins for a year and then another sacrifice had to be made. This was like a charge card and putting all the sins of man on it until it was paid off by Jesus when He shed his blood for all time, no more blood sacrifices.

• The pope was lying to this boy to make him feel better, which he should not have done. You need to submit to God's will, and ask to be accepted, and you will get to Heaven. Doing good deeds alone means buying your way into Heaven, and you can't earn it, you must understand that it's a gift you have to ask for.

That's one of the main reasons why the Protestants broke away from the Catholic church. Catholics think that if you do enough good deeds, that's enough. Protestants believe that you have to ask God to enter your heart, and doing good deeds is just a reflection (or by-product) of God working through you.

As for atheists going to Heaven, if you reject God in this world, he rejects you in his world.

0|2
    0|0
  • I agree, I think God cares more about what kind of person you are than who you pray to.

0|1
    0|1
  • No, there is door left to heaven and that's where all atheists go, it's called "go back down to earth and suffer because you didn't believe in heaven, bitch"

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think God is that selfish to put anyone who don't believe in him in hell when he don't even prove his existence to people in later generations.

0|0
    0|0
  • Remember the passage in the Bible. You must know Jesus, and truly believe in him.

1|0
    0|1
    • True but only if you've heard of him. Many haven't and many lived before he ever came.

• Well it’s still in the bible. He doesn’t contradict himself

• I might agree with you that in Christianity you won't go to heaven if you aren't a believer but you can't say the bible isn't contradictory.

• Apparently all dogs go to heaven, and I’ve never seen them build a church.

0|0
    0|0
  • That raises an interesting conundrum: does a Christian who commits terrible misdeeds in his/her lifetime while practicing their faith still go to Heaven, while an atheist that simply didn't believe in God but was otherwise a morally-good person burn in hell? Because, if its the former, you could basically rape, murder or swindle, but if you believe in the Holy Spirit, you're in the clear.
    I'm not too familiar on Biblical teachings, so someone far more knowledgeable than me would have to answer that question, but very few people would accept faith if it were THAT easy to reach the afterlife and just as many would find religion in general unconscionable if being a saint in all but literal religious conviction condemned you to hell.

0|0
    0|0
  • how would i know the answer to that question? why would you trust that I know the answer to that question? what is wrong with you? what? huh?

0|0
    0|1
  • Pope Frances is a communist, he's an atheist himself. He'll pretty much say anything he's been bought off by the globalists long ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • Assuming there is a heaven for the sake of the question; would an Atheist want to even go there?

I usually find that I do not want to be around some Christians, a lot of people are usually respectful of mine not being religious (especially since I am ex-military and I want everyone to enjoy their freedom of religion).

Another issue is, how would a devote practitioner feel about me, someone who never took religion as a serious part of my life, being allowed into heaven?

I feel that some people would feel anger over it, some would feel it is not up to them, some would feel happy to have more people in heaven; the Christian demographic is very diverse, for better or worst.

0|0
    0|0
  • there is no heaven

2|2
    2|4
  • I wouldn’t believe the Pope for shit, especially when the Bible contradicts him. Perhaps people get a last chance at the end, though I personally think on makes the choice in life.

0|0
    0|0
  • All 3 main Abrahamic religions state you must be a believer to go to heaven, in all 3 not believing within itself is sin enough to go to hell.

0|0
    1|0
  • That's what I was wondering. What happens to those people who don't believe in heaven? Have never heard of God!

0|0
    0|0
  • i dont know what kind of heaven it will be, but i definitely believe that Atheists will go to even

0|0
    0|1
  • Only if they repent of their sin of unbelief. The Bible states that the unbelieving shall have their part in the lake of fire.

0|0
    0|0
  • My honest opinion:

There will be more atheists than Popes in heaven.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well I'm sure some popes like Pope urban are in heaven

• Show All
    • Not really most of the old popes weren't bad.. but only God knows who is going to heaven

• "most of the old popes weren't bad"

You should really do some more research.

• God is nothing more than an attention whore craving for attention and power. Nothing worthy of a worship.

0|0
    0|1
  • Ah nadim you are too young to be brainwashed in Christianity. I was there once. Seek the truth, you will be shocked to see what you discover

0|0
    0|0
  • The Pope isn't even following his own rules. But anyway an atheist wouldn't want to go to heaven because he doesn't believe that such a place exists.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes