Why do people think atheists go to hell?

I feel bad for them and they kinda make me uncomfortable or even mad sometimes but just because they turned their backs on god doesn’t mean that he will turn his back on them. God still loves them. He would be evil to send them to hell.

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I disagree that God "sends" people to Hell. The default destination for all of us is Hell, that's why he sent Jesus the save us.
    Think of life as if it were a river. We're each riding in a one-person raft. We're all headed for a waterfall (death) with a 1000 ft drop onto the rocks (Hell). We're wearing earplugs and blindfolds so we don't know when it will happen. Some people try to paddle with their arms to save themselves but it's useless. Thankfully, there's a catwalk right at the edge of the waterfall and Jesus the Messiah is lying across it with his arm extended down to us. All we have to do is stop paddling and put our arms up to Jesus, accepting the full pardon He won for us on the cross. When we go over the edge He will grab our hands and pull us up onto the catwalk. The people who reject Him are choosing Hell. Buddha can't save you. Neither can Mohammed, Mary, good works, saints, spirituality, happy thoughts, or anything else.
    You are right that God loves us. That's why He sent Jesus to pay for our sins and save us. That is God's escape plan for us and that's why they call it the Gospel. The "Good News". My name's Steve and I'm bringing you the Good News. Whether you accept it or reject it is up to you. You're making the choice.

0|1
    0|0
  • Your viewpoint is called "Universalism". There was a separate Universalist church, until they merged with the Unitarians and became the Unitarian-Universalists.

How or why do atheists make you mad? Are you harassed by atheists telling you that your beliefs are false? Or do they make you mad when you try to evangelize them and they won't go along? Or do atheist arguments that you see online upset you?

Other people think atheists go to hell because someone has to, and it's certainly not them.

0|0
    0|0
    • Atheists make me mad because they’re mean and say mean things about God and people who love him.

• Do they say these things directly to you unprovoked? That would indeed be quite rude.

Most Helpful Girls

• God is total righteousness. There is no wrong in him. He is light and can have no darkness around him. You might say it cramps his style. Since sin is darkness God can have no one whose sin has not been forgiven around him, including in Heaven. I don't know about hell but the Bible says "They shall be cast into the outer darkness. It is in that place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. So if a person refuses to be in God's light he has to send them into darkness, where ever that may be.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don’t feel bad for them it’s fools that still believe in religion. So many world problems are caused by religion it was a way to control the masses through fear. There’s over 4,000 religions so how could you possibly think that your god is the right one? Oh right because it’s all made up. We evolved from science and most people with a brain can figure that out.

1|0
    0|0
    • You don’t know even the first most basic thing about religion... lol

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Because their religion says so?

2|0
    0|0
    • This comment makes no sense at all... Atheism is the lack of belief in a religion and therefore they will neither go to heaven nor hell!

• Show All
    • @ladsin assuming people to be theists, then fair enough point; but in reality there are a lot of atheists and agnostics around so "people" doesn't quite work - that's the question not your answer though!

• @thealias Do atheists believe that atheists go to hell? Do atheists even believe in hell?

The questions is about people who both believe in hell and that atheists will be sent there. The only group that I'm aware that is applicable to is a few religions.

• Atheists are abhorrent and ungrateful people in the sight of a Holy and perfect God, and enemies as well along the other "self righteous" heathen degenerates even though athiests love to brag how "good" of a person they are according to this world fallen moral standards and not God's perfect moral standards.

Romans 1:18-32:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions.

For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

(Context continues)

Romans 2:1-11:

Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.

And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?

Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.

1|1
    2|0
    • Abhorrent and enemies? Jesus fuck, dude. That evangelical/dominionist shit really turns people into total wackos.

• Show All
    • @SanjaHanna and go to hell when dead

• @Poormanscomedian see you there! 😘

• I am an agnostic/atheist. I don't see any compelling evidence that a god exists, though I won't rule out the possibility. If a god decides to throw me into an eternal lake of fire for that, then that god has morals that don't resemble humanity' s (if it has morals at all). A god like that is worthy of my fear, but not my worship or adoration, but again, I'm skeptical of the existence of god, so probably nothing to worry about.

3|0
    0|0
  • Reason being everybody should believe in God and the Devil. When you say you are atheist. That's means you have no belief. Which makes you a person destine for hell. Another reason is if you don't believe in God. Then that's another way the Devil has sucked your soul his way.

1|0
    1|0
  • It's a defence mechanism. Not one against Atheists - Atheists don't believe in your hell.
    It's a defence mechanism of the religion, against the believers. It's designed to keep the theists believing. It's a threat. Keep believing or you're gonna get it!

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel bad too. Christians will be denied entry into Sibalba, Valhalla, Nirvana, Shangri La and so many other paradises...

But I get it - you're saying that if a person is Atheist, it doesn't automatically mean they are a bad person. True and quite obvious. Thanks for noticing :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Not all athiests turned their back on God.
    Athiests don't turn their back on god unless they previously beleived in one. Athiests do not beleive in the existence of gods.

It's always difficult with theological questions. And none of us will ever know for sure until we pass. Hence why it is a belief, and not a fact.

In my opinion, with what I have seen in the world... no divine supreme being could be happy with what is going on with humanity.

1|0
    1|0
  • You don’t know what atheist means. The concept that God exists is not in their mindset. It is inconceivable to them. They didn’t “turn their backs on God”, because there is no such thing, to them. If they don’t believe in anything after this life- they cannot go anywhere in the afterlife.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Lest a man Be Born Again, He cannot Enter The Kingdom of God."

1|4
    0|0
  • Because the Bible states that the unbelieving shall have their part in the lake of fire. It is their fault for refusing to accept Jesus as God.

It is a false dichotomy to see there is no God because atheists in t he purest form do not exist and any experienced and skilled theologian and philosopher can thoroughly show this and provide unbeatable results. They get mad because they don't trust you when you claim there is no such thing as an atheist.

0|2
    0|0
  • Depends what people you are talking about.

Atheists doesn't believe in hell and simply cease once they die.

Theists, I've no idea what they think. Some don't care, some care (for some reason) and others, like you, believes God (or equivalent) will do what they believe it is done.

From my interpretation of what God is to Theists, it seems that God is above good and evil, not subject to it. So if, assuming he is real, he won't be evil for throwing people to hell, no matter the reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • They have to repent and accept God as their father, accept God into their lives or yes God will send non beilvers and sinners the same to Hell. We all know He doesn't want that for us but if we give Him no choice then yep we're gone.

0|1
    0|0
  • God said the only way to him is through believing Jesus Christ saved us. John 3:16. Everyone else will be sent to hell. You also have to not intentionally sin. I’m pretty sure atheists don’t care about either of those things.

0|1
    0|0
    • What would you think is a sin, that atheists usually commit?

• Well the biggest one is not believing Jesus Christ died for you. I guess there’s others like fornication, cursing, etc.

• 1) It is not up to is us humans to judge or declare who is going to hell or heaven. Hell or heaven is not guaranteed for people by religion. We can only pray for others that their sins or shortcomings are forgiven and they rest in peace and get an eternal spot in heaven.
    2) Yes indeed God is kind and most forgiving but humans were created for a purpose and while God is kind, God is also just.

1|0
    0|0
  • In Judaism you don't need to be Jewish to have a good afterlife (though, what afterlife is is very vague, there's no real focus on it). Even if they don't follow some basic rules, they are not eternally damned like in Christianity.

But otherwise, I imagine it's just a ploy to convert more people. It also creates the annoying proselytism that they need to 'save' others by converting them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe in something that you hold dearly and that's understandable. I don't believe that hell exists. I think the human imagination is very powerful and conjured up hell as a means to soothe the living. There must be justice in the after life for the person whom raped my mother and hung my daddy says the boy so he has hell to comfort this mental wound. Knowing his terrorizer receives God's wrath after death is very comforting to the powerless.
    ~Mr Bails Extraordinaire

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell if I know. I just believe that atheists are lazy. I consider myself to be agnostic. I do believe there is a creator to not only us and all living beings that we may or may not know of, but of time and perceivably an ever expanding universe. Existence itself we may never have the answers to, even after death.

0|0
    0|0
  • Basically, because religious people are mentally challenged.
    Hell doesn't exist, therefore people who don't follow a fictional deity don't honestly give a fuck what fictional place sheep think they will go to.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why even believe in god or have religion, if there is no need? If all you need to get the good ending is just be a good person, why the fuck do we have religion?

0|1
    0|0
  • How about sending everyone to heaven :) (being sarcastic here)

2|0
    0|0
  • I believe in reincarnation and that we'll just come back as someone else. I can't say I'm really an atheist. I don't really believe In the whole God or devil. Heaven or hell either. I just think we come back as someone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Blessed is a mind too small for doubt. How simple your life must be to ask such questions. God doesn't exist. Nor does hell, so you have nothing to feel sorry for.

0|0
    0|0
  • Partly because the bible states point blank that the only way to avoid eternal separation from your god is to believe. Threatening people with the prospect of being forever damned is a useful tool to ensure people hesitate about leaving the faith too.

0|0
    0|0
  • aparently we go to hell if we dont repent at the last minute... as a none believer to me there is nothing to repent for and no one to repent to so bible bashers can believe what they like but when i climb into my dirt bed i will just be recycled

0|0
    0|0
  • How can i be sent to christian hell if im not christian (atheist/ pagan)?
    For me there is no hell, so in turn i can't go what dosnt exist.

3|0
    0|0
    • Why do you make assumptions that there is a Christian hell and a non-Christian hell? Just like people say there is a Christian God and a Jewish God and a Muslim God and a Hindu God etc...

• Show All
    • @Poormanscomedian well if you would study a bit, you would find that there are many different types of hell.

• The bible doesn't say that, it refers to just Hell. Now Heavens are mentioned in Bible. We know through logic that Satan copies God, so we assume 3 levels of Hell.

• Yes i do agree the way you do. God does not turn his
    back on atheist after all they are people too and God
    loves us all. But i do believe if you deny Jesus he will
    deny you in front of his father.

1|0
    0|0
  • They are going to bust hell wide open. The Bible says if you deny Jesus he will deny you in front of his father.

1|1
    0|0
  • That's what they believe atheist believe what they believe and religious people believe that if you turn your back on God your going to hell... Why does that shock you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Fear is a method that is often used to keep people in line.

3|1
    0|0
  • It's a scare tactic. "Convert or be tortured forever."

2|1
    0|0
  • Some people imagine themselves more deserving of others. Ironic since pride is one of those deadly sins.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, send me to hell, all the cool people are there anyways.

2|0
    0|0
    • In hell you suffer constantly, you will never sleep again, you have all diseases ever known , you are thirsty and never allowed water, you disfigured, you smell like death and can't get away from it.

• So the religious approach to being a good human is to terrify everyone of going to hell if they sin.
      And somehow that is better than deciding to be a good person, just because you want to be?

I treat people kindly, because I want to be like that and not because I am scared of going to a hell, that I do not believe to exist.

And somehow, thats what I shall be punished for, for simply wanting to be a good person.
      Screw your god. He (or she) is an asshole, if that is true.

• Because they are not believers , Jesus will deny them to the Father

1|1
    0|0
  • God doesn't exist so don't feel bad or good about atheists. Just believe your bullshit and stip. thinking about what smart people think

0|0
    0|3
  • You know some people weren't religious. in the first place so they didn't " turn their back" on god.

2|0
    0|0
  • That's true, not believing doesn't mean they are evil in any way, theoretically, even a guy like Hitler could avoid hell if he truly regretted it

0|0
    0|0
  • I do feel sorry for them but I think if they are good people. They would go to heaven

0|0
    0|0
  • they must think that, cause otherwise they can't legitimate their believe. it's where this pathetic and desparate delusion becomes quite obvious.

claiming that god still loves them is even more funny, cause that basically says "you don't need to believe for god to love you", when in the bible it says on many occasions is "not believing" is the single one thing god doesn't want. murder is fine, you can get away with murder but not believing will land you straight in hell according to the bible.

0|0
    0|0
  • I just believe in science probably later in life I’ll be hit by the light never know

0|0
    0|0
  • What makes you think that god does not favor the religious?

0|0
    0|0
  • You crazy? I ain't going to hell, I'm becoming a God after I die.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one can prove or dis prove the existence of god.

0|0
    0|0
  • We would be EVIL to send yawl Hail , but yawl call it climate change.. lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • They don't aknowledge God, they burn in hell. It is that simple.

0|1
    1|0
  • We live. We die. Its that simple.

5|2
    1|0
  • Lol atheist do y go hell lol all they gotta do before they die accept jesus . Just t make sure

0|0
    0|0
  • You cannot be loved by that which does not exist

3|0
    1|0
  • Who cares

2|0
    0|0
  • Hell oooo lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's fun to pick shit.