Is religion a cult?

Updates:
The definition is listed as “A system of religious veneration and devotion towards a particular figure or object” isn’t that on the head what a religion is? Not “do you attack people” that’s slightly different

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• The term cult comes from the Latin Cultus which just means worship. Anthropologists aren't really settled on any set definition for religion or cult, but they've got a few elements that are characteristic of both. Sacred objects or books, a system of centralized beliefs about the supernatural, etc. There's also the other sense in that a cult is a derivative of a larger parent religion. Many would say for example that Mormonism is a Christian cult, as they believe in some of Christian teachings, but have rather queer beliefs that differentiate it. In this sense I'd say that Christianity as a whole is also a cult, they're a Jewish dying/rising salvific god cult. This is pretty obvious, but they believe a lot of the same things Jews do, but they have rather queer beliefs that differentiate them from the parent religion.

In the common parlance cult is a pejorative term to reference small religions. In this sense it'd be hard to say that any of the major religions are a cult because people think of it as only referring to a smaller group. I don't think this is appropriate though.

0|0
    0|1
  • not sure, but I've never seen my religion attacking people for not being a member. I HAVE seen plenty of non-religious people frequently attacking those that are in religions though. So maybe, atheism is the real cult. "Believe as we do or be attacked".

0|0
    0|0
    • Posted my reply above by accident

• oh I see. no prob. It happens. :D but no I don't believe worshiping or being devoted to a religious person defines a cult. A cult to me is a group that says you have to join or else. And that's what atheists do. My religion has their own beliefs, but they accept those who do not believe. A cult would not.

• I’m an atheist, but I don’t say to religious people you’re wrong join us, quite the opposite. I’m happy to accept people religious beliefs and if they have a coherent set of morals behind that belief and it enhances their being then I’m all for it. I just don’t have anything in me that believes in a deity and therefore am an Atheist and in my opinion I don’t believe in the God or Gods part of religions. The moral points of each however are different, weather it be the community aspect of Christianity or the family values of being a Hindu i get all of the above, so I would disagree on Atheism being a cult, I just think (in the case of people like Dawkins) it’s gets represented as hostile towards those who are religious

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Which one?

Here is a list of what makes a cult :
    1. Loyalty to one living charismatic leader
    2. Opposing critical thinking
    3. Isolating members from their family and penalizing them for leaving
    4. Crossing moral boundaries of behavior (versus sexual purity and personal ownership)
    Not every cult does ALL of those.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is more than one definition of "cult", and what you refer to is NOT what most people mean when they use the word "cult". However, even if we use your definition, no, religion is NOT a cult. Religions HAVE cults within them. However, Marxism also has cults. Many atheisms have cults. All the major political parties have cults. Sports teams have cults. Singers have cults.

0|0
    0|1
  • If the religion isn't Bibical fundenental Christinity then its hot trash to me or cult or whatever.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is an old saying that the difference between a cult and a religion is the number of adherents.

0|0
    0|1
    • There are a lot of old sayings that are bullshit, though.

• Show All
    • Well, you have no clue, do you? Sorry, I'm not a "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezus Freak", I'm a zero-bullshit man. Putting authority in an "old saying" is the height of bullshit. You should go join the Southern Baptists, you think just like they do.

• @HereIbe you are composed of bullshit. Completely.

• Absolutely!!

0|0
    0|0
  • To most people, yes. Sadly!

0|0
    0|0
    • Are you using HIS definition or your own?

• Show All
    • At least I'm not too stupid to use the definition given for the purpose of a thread.

• Thanks again smart ass 🤣🥰

• You could call it that by definition

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I don't believe it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on how popular it is

0|0
    0|0
  • Varies by person.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not

0|0
    0|0
    • How, in terms of the definition of "cult" that he provided?

• Show All
    • I understand it quite well, and you're the one so stupid you can't spell "you're", thus, a moron.

• @HereIbe Being a grammar nazi doesn’t prove anything

• Depends on the religion.

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s interesting, what religions represent a cult to you?

• Show All
    • The definition he proposed is “A system of religious veneration and devotion towards a particular figure or object”, so, what would not qualify as a "cult"?

• The definition you proposed at the start of this thread has nothing to do with "hierarchy".

• Indeed

0|0
    0|1
  • no atheist are a cult
    and if you say other wise you are an idiot

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes