Do you think the bible is taken too literally?

For example, In my opinion history repeats itself and the man described as "jesus" can be a man we cross paths with repeatedly based on his works throughout history such as Martin Luther king, Cesar Chavez, Dr sebi, a malcolm x , John Lennon. They all were leaders, philanthropists, and spiritual individuals who has a "judas" around them. Everyone has a "judas" around them some way and some how.Do you think the bible is taken too literally?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Why am I getting DM'd by a user about this question? he dm me because a laughed at his comment. stop dm me over dumb stuff especially if u dont have a profile pic its annoying

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• only religious zealots take the bible literally and usually bend the literal to fit the spreading their fanatical agendas

3|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think some minds interpret things literally. To me, there are a lot of "stories" in it, like garden of eden, some view as literal some as an explanatory analogy. In that time, knowledge was communicated by stories.

your example though, I don't see how any of them line up to what Jesus said and did and communicated. Multiple people recorded (e. g. the Bible) people being healed of ailments. Majority of those I think can be explained by Jesus healing them emotionally... by faith and belief... as emotions influence the body. But some I cannot. Jesus had a different angle than these other people. His life's purpose was to "save" people, help them see they are in a fallen state and get past that so they can live and have eternal "love". The others were human beings, with flaws, many which rooted off of what Jesus or others said. For 2000+ years ago, I give Jesus the reward for smartest of all time... in terms of understanding humanity and delivering a solution to save people from it. Try to pull off what he did... can't be done... beyond Genius! Thus was he actually representing God, that is love, in person. That's the difference.

The new thing seems to be what "don't take it lierally", all spiritual is good, take the good from it. I suspect there are reasons for that beyond your question, so I won't go into it. But that's what I see with most people... they resist Jesus as it is associated to religion. And so people are diverted from the message.

0|0
    0|1
  • The Bible does contain metaphors and passages not meant to be taken literally. But more often than not they're easy to identify as such, and the literal parts likewise. And whilst there may be parallels and coincidental likenesses to Jesus' story and Judas' everywhere, Jesus is one, the Son of God, the Messiah, this is the unshakable fundamental of Christian faith.

2|3
    0|0
  • By "too literally" do you mean people bring up bible verses that Christian's don't like and claim it was taken out of context?

"They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open."

"Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated."

"It is for the greatness of your iniquity that your skirts are lifted up, and you are violated. . . because you have forgotten me and trusted in lies. I myself will lift up your skirts over your face, and your shame will be seen."

"O daughter Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back what you have done to us! Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!"
    If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

Ah yes. Don't take this literally. It is just wisdom and insight you must abide by.

1|0
    1|0
  • Disagree with your statement. No one else, not even Buddha or Mohammed ever gave their lives in gruesome ways for the sins of mankind. Believe or not that Jesus is the Son of God, he is the only one of all the prophets or so called messiah's that gave his life like that. That should make anyone think.

0|1
    0|0
  • People taking it too literally is where all the ones claiming it is a fairy tale come from, one has to use their head when reading it and do so with God's direction, otherwise, you get a lot of these common ideas that agnostics (atheists) and the like get about the Bible.

0|1
    0|0
  • You mean to tell me that a geriatric man didn't build a giant boat capable of holding 2 of every animal in the world?

1|0
    0|0
    • Novis: It wasn't just Noah, and there is no reason why Noah could not have others helping him for long periods of time. Also, when you consider how the ark could work, you need to understand that God was guiding the process, and he could use miracles to make it all work. Along with this, consider that there may have been far fewer types of animals in Noah's time. Such as wolves, but no dogs, etc. Certain birds, but not all the sub-species we have today. And if you read the bible a little closer, you would know it wasn't just two of each always. As just humans, the ark situation likely was impossible. With the guidance, and direct intervention of God, it was very possible.

• I think people bend the Bible to what they want it to mean based on personal opinions.
    For example, anti-homosexuality. Only in Leviticus does it say homosexuality is forbidden. FYI, in Leviticus, it also says mixed fabric (polyester) is a sin, and so is wearing gold, braids, playing football, and eating bacon.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is literal.. A lot of the Bible is history.. Even historian use the Bible as reference.. The only parts they don't use are the supernatural events.. It's best to know the literary intend of the author, some part are metaphorical, some parts of only for story tellin purposes, many parts are literal.. Also Jesus is considered a man who really existed..

0|0
    0|0
  • People tend to forget that the content of the new testament was voted around three hundred years after the death of it’s prophet, and is at such no divine creation, but a flawed man-made construct.

So yeah, of course it’s taken too seriously. Critical thinking is vital for the interpretation and analysis of any "holy" text.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you read the Bible (hopefully not a waterdown modern version) you have to use your literacy skills in context to know when something is literal, metaphoric, poetic and symbolic.

For ex: In the psalm it says God is our "Rock" Is God a literal rock? No! The rock symbolizes foundation and strength.

About 95% of the Bible is literal except for the Song of Solomon which is poetic in a sexual manner and a few here and there parables etc.

0|1
    0|1
  • I believe it is taken too literally and out of context. I also dont believe it to be without fault. I believe the general story concept of the bible but feel it was likely corrupted as the wealthy and powerful changed text to hide or absolve their crimes/sins.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and those aren't proper comparisons either. How many of those people claimed to be the Son of God born of a virgin sent to die for the sin of the world? How many of them claimed to be the only possible way to be saved? How many of them claimed to have existed since before time began? I don't know about you, but if I heard or saw someone make those claims in a 100% serious fashion, I'd at least look into it.

0|0
    0|0
  • This question is to complex to write out a full response, so I pasted a couple of links which explain my views on the situation pretty well. Happy reading!

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-literal.html

https://bible.org/article/taking-bible-literally

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't think the Bible is taken seriously enough. Have to actually read it to see what it says... to many people judge it without reading it instead of researching for themselves

1|3
    1|1
  • Always, its a book stories which are meant to impart wisdom on the reader.
    Jesus Christ however is infallible he had no faults. He shouldn't be compared to those men, you listed.

Also the bible, is written in parables and poetry. Its been translated from Greek and adapted over 2000 years. What matters is the essence of those stories.

Bible is about achieving freedom.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure how to vote here.

From what I understand the bible is just a collection of morality/cautionary tales. Looking at stories by themselves then some are good whereas others are terrible by modern day standards.

But if you're a christian I think that people should take it more literally. If you believe the bible is the word of god then there should be no room for interpretation.

0|0
    0|0
  • God's Word is Not Taken as Seriously as it Should B e Here, dear... Tis HIS TRUE WORDS. xx

0|1
    0|0
  • it fits the modern world to say such a thing but when it was written it was done so as a strict set of rules based on what was supposed to be a statement of fact

0|0
    0|0
  • The Bible was intended as a historical account. Whether you believe in the miracles described depends on your faith.

0|0
    0|0
  • Religion is all about belief, sadly many people have been brainwashed from very young to follow one religion.
    I consider myself agnostic, over the decades I have come to realise that all of the worlds major religions are a rip off.
    All they are interested in is brainwashing youngsters, and screwing "believers" to fund the religion. They are, in the main, self serving cretins, it is the same with every organised religious group.
    Including Roman Catholics, Jews and Muslims, they exist to promote their own organisation and use fear to keep you in line.

1|0
    0|0
  • Jehova's Witnesses literally take it too literally. They pick up random words here and there in the bible and give that whole shit a whole different meaning.

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy got nailed to a cross. Definitely shouldn't copy him.

God: Ho ho what's this? The Old Testament! I totally forgot about this. I wonder what is says.

*Reads*

God:... shit.

God: Yo, Jesus. Get in here. My book is filled with horrible stuff. We gotta fix this.

*Editing*

God: Stone men lay with other men... Burn cheating women...

God: Stone... Burn... Stone... Burn... Stone...

Jesus: Wearing mixed fabric is a sin? Who wrote this?

God: It's Lucy. He thinks it's hideous.

*Sometimes later*

God: All the horrible stuff are gone!!!

Jesus: Sure looks a lot thinner.

God: Children! It is I! God! I bring you the NEW old testament!

People: Is that a book? Who reads book anymore?
    People:Shit-tier writing skills, called himself God!
    People: I am buddist and vegan.

God:...

God: Grabriel, prepare the lizard nuke. Locust 1st then toads. Nuke the bastards for me.

Gabe: Yes, sir!

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say about literalists are around 30%. Most people do not think Jesus is a literal rock.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do you think the bible is taken too literally?

Total number killed by God in the Bible
    - Using biblical numbers only: 2,821,364
    - With estimates: 25 million

(The table has been updated to include God's killings in the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical books.)

dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.be/.../...-bible.html

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think Jesus goodness and teachings are too much or "taken too literally".

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

A lot of Jesus's teaching was parables. The listener had to work out what they meant.

• Yes, some people take it to full Extreme, to the point that those people freaked me out and some people use it as a guidance which i do , I am no holy roller but i believe in God and I accepted God into my life to guide me , i am far from perfect but i feel better knowing i have a purpose on this Earth when there r times i feel what is the purpose , why am i here , so accepting God into my life has kind of put me on a positive path. Helped me see things differently in life how to love differently etc.. , again I dont force my beliefs on anyone but i am not scared to admit that i have God on my side. Whether I am right or wrong it doesn't matter , i rather live my life knowing there is a Heaven after i die , cuz we are all going to die 1 day.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s a collection of stories and lessons learned

1|1
    0|1
  • Yes. People take it to literally, misquote it, and use it to put themselves above others.

0|0
    0|0
  • hey, are you familiar with the BOOK OF ELI?

0|0
    0|0
  • You are brilliant!

0|0
    0|1
  • It is pretty much black and white

0|1
    0|0
  • The Bible should be taken literally

0|0
    0|0
  • trust me you don't want to hear my view on this

0|0
    0|0
  • No not enough actually all homosexual acts and trannies should be banned in the United States it is a country built by Christians for Christians anyone who does not ahhere to God's rules needs to go live in the middle east or something because they are trash.

0|0
    0|0
  • People treat it like it's a holy grail they are so fixated on the actual words written in it than the meaning of said words and try to use them in defence of everything

1|0
    0|0
  • No I just think we should focus on the 10 commandments and what is and is not accepted like thou shall not kill or steal and other important things and LGBT is wrong no one should support if they are a Christian. The bible is clear on those things but the stories and stuff you can take them any way you want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Jesus said He'll come back, and He did. He didn't mean literally He, Himself a Being called "Jesus". He was a Manifestation of God, and more Manifestations will come throughout hundreds of years. For instance, Muhammad...

1|0
    0|1
  • Yeah definitely, since it was written in a different time of history

0|0
    0|0
  • In some ways, too literal, and in others not literal enough. I don't necessarily agree with you about those historic people being parallel to Christ, but that's beside the point.

For instance, in the garden of eden story, god told them that they'd die the same day they ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge. They ate it and didn't die. People twist and turn the rest of the words to suit their own ideas, claiming that one day could have been a thousand years or the death could have been a spiritual death. And they do all this to avoid admitting one simple fact: the god in the garden lied. Attainment of wisdom is a spiritual awakening, and a day is literally defined as "the sun and the moon"

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes