How likely is it that God exists?

How likely is it that God exists?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Because god is so clearly impossible to precisely define, his existence isn't a question we can resolve using logical arguments based on evidence; it is impossible to provide evidence for or against the existence of god.

To be more precise: The claim that god exists is not falsifiable. If you don't know what falsifiable means, basically it means that, even if he did not exist, there could never possibly be a way to prove it.

That means the claim that he DOES exist is impossible to support, even if it's true.

People who argue over the existence of god (either way) do not fully understand deductive reasoning or the empirical method.

The existence of god does not come down to a question of probability.
    Christians who claim otherwise disrespect gods assertion that we must have faith in him (for who can have faith but demand proof?) and those who claim he CANNOT exist or definitely does not are pseudoscientific and as irrational as they claim theists to be.

A true atheist simply does not believe that he exists, and maikes no claim that he "does not" or "can not" exist.

A true believer simply believes. You cannot justify faith with anything other than first experience; that is, the actual, literal experience of the presence of god in your heart and mind. You can't prove that to another person.

1|3
    0|0
    • Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. 😊👍🏼

• 100%. Because of laws of physics, matter and energy cannot be created from nothing, they can only be converted from one form to another. Yet the universe is full of matter (and energy). So based on that, universe would never exist unless someone who is not limited by laws of physics (God) provided the necessary energy for the Big Bang.

1|2
    1|1
    • Not understanding how something is possible does not prove the existence of God.

• Show All
    • 7d

I also don't have to be part of a religion to have morals - this is another fallacy

• 7d

One of the core principles of empirical science is generalising observations. So results from an experiment under certain conditions are generalised to different conditions as far as the underlying theory allows that generalisation. So many scientific facts still require belief because they were only observed during certain conditions (e. g. laboratory conditions) and then generalised. However, you are right, there is a difference between scientific and religious statements. Sorry, I did not mean to call you personally an atheist. I never said people who are not a part of a religion don't have morals. However, morals are perceived differently if you know that God always knows what you are doing and you don't want to hurt or disappoint God who you believe loves you.

Most Helpful Girls

• Based on the total lack of good arguments and even the slightest bit of evidence - extremely low.

1|2
    3|4
    • 7d

There's just as much evidence to suggest that he doesn't exist. And there's really no argument for it either other than " but science". And that argument assumes that God and science are mutually exclusive. Which, again, there is no evidence for.

• 7d

@butterman129
      There are so many things wrong with that post.

"There's just as much evidence to suggest that he doesn't exist."
      Of course there's no evidence to disprove a god - It's an unfalsifiable claim. There's nothing I can present to you, that you would accept as evidence. The burden of proof is on those making the claim. Can you disprove any other god (s) claims that you don't believe in?

"And there's really no argument for it either other than " but science"." I've never heard anyone make an argument that could even be strawmanned as "But science". We don't dismiss god claims because of positive science, we dismiss them due to a lack of evidence.

"And that argument assumes that God and science are mutually exclusive. Which, again, there is no evidence for."
      Uh, no, it doesn't. If a god existed, it would be just as scientific as anything else. And I never said any such thing.

• I think there's zero chance that any deity exists, but people's faith is still a real thing.

1|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm agnostic-theist. I'm open to all theories! I think God exists but I don't think we know who or what God is. We just have our speculations that some people take too seriously. I've said this before and I stand by it:

"Personally, I don't believe in any religion that humans create or advocate because most of us haven't even experienced life off this planet and the ones that have, have not gotten far. there are 30 billion planets in our galaxy alone, with over 100 billion galaxies in the observable Universe... Not to mention that all the stars, planets and galaxies that can be seen today make up just 4 percent of the universe! The other 96 percent is made of stuff astronomers can't see, detect or even comprehend. So, how can I take people seriously when they say they know who created it all? I think we give ourselves far more credit than we deserve! Humans didn't arise until the last day of the year (according to the cosmic calendar), and modern civilization makes up about the last 14 seconds of that year! We are infants compared to the age of the earth and the universe! Like children, people claim they know best without actually having experience or proper knowledge on the subject at hand."

1|0
    0|0
  • Since there are only two possibilities, namely that he does or does not exist, I’d say it’s around fifty-fifty.

After all, there are as many concrete proofs of his existence than concrete proofs of his inexistence, which is none.

With those odds, you might as well decide whether you believe in him with a coin flip!

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you think God is the way we imagine him?

• That’s very unlikely, as we can’t even figure out if he actually exists.

If we can’t know if he exists, how can we even begin to know what he looks like? How would we know who is right among all the religions and cults venerating some kind of god?

Even if someone died and was faced with what he thinks to be god, there would be no certain way to know that it was really him.

• Not likely.
    The idea of a god is a way to control the messes.
    Can you imagine. Could you imagine. Of course you can. That's the whole problem.
    Mankind cannot control his thoughts. You can only attempt to control his actions.
    See unless it comes out of their mouth and someone else hears it then they don't think that way. Why are they so much different than us.
    Because they believe in God !!! You know the funny thing is if you believe in God.
    You also believe in the Devil. !!! You cannot have one without the other.
    There can be no good without evil ! There can be no Love without Haiti !
    Here's the real question. This is also why we think we're top of the food chain.
    When is man going to take responsibility for his own actions because we all know the.
    DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG !!!

That's what's wrong with our society no one. NO ONE !! There's your answer.

THE ONE= GOD. !!

It's so much easier to have someone to blame or to rely on then ourselves.
    When is mankind going to be responsible for his own thoughts decisions and actions?

1|1
    1|1
  • Its scary that in this day and age there are still people clinging onto ancient superstition

1|2
    3|3
    • We can't prove or dissaprove of a existence of a God. Only death shall show the truth

• Show All
    • 7d

Okay but even of science does answer that question; your argument hinges on the fact that God and science can't coexist

• 6d

It might possibly be that what we choose to believe is proof of the existence God is really just science that we don't understand yet.

• I find it much more logical to believe that everything and everyone were created, rather than everything just popping up on their own.

And for those who say that there is no evidence to God's existance, keep in mind that they still have not even figured out what is in a black hole or how it functions, only recently have they even gotten an image of one, so there is a lot that they do not know.

And since they do not know 100% percent, they are not really in a position to say that God does not exist since that is an absolute statement from one who does not know everything there is to know.

They are still discovering everything, and one day, they will discover God as well, but not on their terms, as God reveals Himself only to those He chooses, He is not some anomaly to be randomly discovered or happened upon, He is an omniscient being, to whom all of the brilliant scientists of humanity combined, cannot compare.

2|1
    1|1
    • Wow, really well explained! 😊👍🏼

• Show All
    • 5h

@Nadim171 no that logic is not valid and ill tell you why
      you are attributing principals that are valid WITHIN the universe to outside of it... that is incorrect reasoning
      example --> you can't cause cause and consequence also applies outside the universe because that principal is valid only for inside the universe for as far as we know. Outside of it cause and consequences might not exist --> meaning a match can spark a flame without someone ever striking the match...

• 5h

it also means a universe can be created without reason...
      more importantly --> if the universe is infinite, which is a very likely possibility... then it always existed and thus it never had a creator...

• 100%. Their's just too much evidence that proves His existence.
    According to biblical text, God is a spirit and a person, but some people choose to believe that God or the creator of the world is just a force or an energy. I remember one time someone trying to explain that the world and everything in existence was created by a force or energy, but when you think about it that couldn't be possible, since the energy is a property of matter.
    if the cause of the universe and all things that exist was from something material / natural, it would be subject to the same laws of decay as the universe. That means it would have to have had a beginning itself and you have the same problem as cycles of births and deaths of universes. So the cause of the universe’s beginning must have been super-natural, i. e. non-material or spirit—a cause outside of space-matter-time. Such a cause would not be subject to the law of decay and so would not have a beginning

The creator of everything in existence would of had to create time, space and matter. So from what we see, it couldn't had been an energy or force , but instead a spirit. Therefore I find the idea of God being simply a force or charge to be pretty low in ever existing.

From the looks of it, I see that an intelligent mind could have only created the universe and everything that exist. The world is filled with complex life and intelligence, so could a force created that or could a person of intelligence created that? Or could a force have created the electromagnetic spectrum that our eye can see billions of information together with all the laws and uniformity? This comes to the conclusion that an intelligent creator does exist.

Some people will refuse to believe in God because they have not found and physical evidence of Him existing. But of course their is no physical evidence for that. He stands outside of matter, space and time, which are the fundamental concepts that most scientist today choose to only focus on for evidence. Some people will call anything that they don't see as fake or unexisting, but that doesn't mean that God who they do not see is unexistent. Since God isn't listed under but outside those 3 fundamental concepts that we humans can see, believing in God is a matter of faith. You'll find billions of people worldwide from youtube testifying how God changed them, helped them and saved them in life, even from those who use to be atheist.

1|0
    0|1
  • Well there is definitely a creator and I do believe in the Christian God because if you look around there is definitely a spiritual war going on most people cannot see it but a lot of symbolism in the mainstream

2|2
    0|0
  • Doesn't matter if he is a real thing or not. People put faith in him and some even rely on him as their 'Father' and someone who looks out for you. God has different names in all societies and some even have more than 1 God, but in the end the idea stays the same and as long as people believe in him he exists in some kind of spiritual way. Looking from a scientific point, nope he doesn't exist.

0|0
    0|1
  • Thinking you know in itself lends to the assumption of you having omniscience, and some level of godhood. So likely. Anyway, depends on what you call god. God (s) of religions (for lack of a better term)? Or the [intelligent or automatic] universe itself? Either, God exists. See what I did there? From our current standpoint it's all mostly based on faith/belief.

2|0
    0|0
  • I believe in God, but I don't believe that God exists. Does that make sense?

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

No haha.

• 6d

That's fair. 😅
      To explain, for someone or something to exist, it needs to be in the universe; to EXIST in the universe. God is transcendent; not bound by the universe. Does not exist = not in the universe

• 6d

Oohhh okay.

• I believe it's likely. Our knowledge and understanding of existence and what is out there in the universe is just so minuscule in comparison to God that it takes a lot of faith to feel comfortable to believe in.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its actually more likely that a creator does exist than does not

1|2
    0|0
    • Do you think God will be how we imagine him, or some overlord alien king that created us?

• Show All
    • Okay that makes no factual sense.

• No the calculations are based on probability
      They factor in everything and end up wjth a percentage

But instinctively we think of god. That very thought is proof we have a link towards a creator

Of course it is

• It depends how you see God. Not everyone believes in the Abrahamic concept of God, which is an all-seeing, omniscient kind of God who is actually involved in human affairs.

A lot of people say there is no proof of God but I think this is an invalid reasoning. Centuries ago, there was no proof of the Americas' existence to Westerners until people actually sailed and discovered it. Moreover, the whole idea of faith is believing in God even when you have no proof. Proof is irrelevant to faith as proof is a scientific idea whereas faith is a personal, more tangible idea.

1|1
    0|0
    • That isn’t the best comparison. Westerners were almost positive America existed, this isn’t the case with society’s relationship with God, more people are becoming atheists faster than people becoming religious, and it’s evening out more and more.

• It is hardly likely that Westerners were positive the Americas existed, considering the West's most famous explorer thought he'd discovered a route into the Far East and designated the native inhabitants as 'Indians.'

Also, do you have any statistics to show that people are becoming atheists faster than people becoming religious? According to Pew Polls, though the number of atheists/agnostics is growing in the United States and France, they will make up a declining share of the world's population. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world due to high fertility rates so I don't think your claim that it's 'evening out more and more' is true.

• Depends on whether or not you want God to be an entity, or a force.

If God is an entity, then the chance of him existing seems pretty low. If God is a singular being, then taking a particular form is just humanity's way of perceiving God and finding comfort from the idea of a greater purpose.

If you want God to be a force, then the answer is totally different. Considering that the underlying mechanism which allows everything, EVERYTHING, to exist, is the observable phenomenon known as positive and negative molecular charge; I would say that the chance of God existing is either pretty good, or that we already know who/what God is. God is charge. God is electricity.

2|0
    0|0
  • Creation is 100% real but science can only say what they 'prove' to be real is real. Everything that isn't fully understood through experimentation can only be defined as theory. Science doesn't cover much material and the information is incomplete. It's all based on works in progress and most conclusions are just dead ends in research.

0|1
    1|1
    • Actually, I agree that most is speculation, because we're still at the surface of understanding biological processes. Science still hasn't set much in stone.

• Science probably will not say that creation is real until they create something.

• very not likely. even stephen hawking who was the most intelligent person in the world said god does not exist i believe him

1|3
    1|0
  • Let me put it this way. If we were to discover a computer on mars. Knowing how much intelligence is required to create it you would know that it it couldn’t just randomly have been organized by Big Bang. You would know that it takes intelligence to create it. However if person completely unaware of technology say 500 years ago were to find a computer it’s possible they could justify that it was randomly organized because they are not aware of how much intelligence was required to organize it.
    If you can’t recognize how complex the earth stars and how it’s organized to perfection maybe it’s because of primitive thinking.

0|1
    1|0
    • Terrible example. A cloud collapses to form a star and disk. Planets form from this disk. A star and its planets form out of a collapsing cloud of dust and gas within a larger cloud called a nebula. ... Eventually these clumps grow to become planets.

• Show All
    • Probably longer it’s possible the refining process isn’t only limited to this earth.

• Technically he's just as likely to exist as to not exist. There's no hard evidence he does exist and there's just as much evidence to say that he doesn't. In the end, we all find out anyway. So I try not to worry about it

1|1
    0|0
  • There's no proof but I just have to go with our tradition.

1|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Same.

• Show All
    • 7d

Eh I guess👍🏼😕

• 7d

Hehe don't get me wrong. What people practices is not God's law. Ehh sorry your choice :)

• i only believe what i can feel. can god be tapped on the shoulder?

1|1
    1|1
    • Can climate change?

• Show All
    • Churches are full of lies

• im going to put this bluntly. religion, in my opinion, is a crutch for people to stand on when they themselves have no power. see power of friendship in anime for more details.

• 99% unlikely. I have been waiting for 40+ years for someone to come up with any logical proof... still waiting.

2|2
    1|2
    • Logical proof
      Is. Intuition, conscious mind. All which seem to be separate from us. We cannot test for those things. Scientists try but can't

Also the fact we even think of a creator is evidence for one

• Depends on what you define as a "god". If you mean a being that created everything, then there are a lot og ways to answer that question, but I don't really know if any of those ways is true. But once we've answered that question, then we need to know who created our creator (if it exists). I personally just choose to say that we are our own gods, because that's just a never ending topic.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am afraid that the debate of whether God exists or not is no longer relevant.
    Sophia, or an AGI, will achieve The Singularity and will become, for all our feeble understanding, God. And there is probably nothing humans can do to change that. It will happen in less than 5 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • The idea of a god as a being or a sentient force that is all powerful is ludicrous. It is primitive thinking.

1|0
    0|1
  • As likely as it is for me to go from an A to a D cup overnight, naturally 👍🏾

1|1
    1|2
  • First, define God, then the hypothesis can be proven (tested).

Essentially, 0%. Same as Thor, Zeus, Buddha, etc.

1|1
    0|2
  • I think God is an IS, not an exists. But if you want to see it as exists, ok. How God got there is a toughie. who is God's god... lol!

0|0
    0|0
  • Would he allow an 800 year old church to burn if he did? I mean... how likely are you to burn one of your houses down? Could be all part of a divine plan that mere mortals can't understand..

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much as likely as Santa and the tooth fairy.

3|1
    1|1
  • 100%
    However specifically to prove God directly is 0% possible.
    Since God himself is a miracle, he created sience aka he is outside of sience. God isn't a phisical being. He's a spirit

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends what you mean by “god”? If by the word you’re referring to one of the three largest monotheistic religions of today, then no, it’s not likely that any one of those gods exists. It’s one thing to say that some higher power is out there that could’ve been the author of our creation, but it’s an entirely different thing to list out specific criteria of this creator. This is a matter of probability, simply put. I can say that there’s something out there beyond our comprehension, that could’ve created us. This statement seems probable, but saying that this something is specifically named “Jesus,” resurrected from the dead, walked on water, and turned water into wine is increasing the improbability of this statement being true.

0|1
    0|0
  • Meh I dont really know, but I see a lot of innocent people getting fucked over.

2|3
    1|2
  • No reasob wondering if there is or isn't a god or gods. Have faith or don't have faith.

1|0
    1|0
  • He exist just cause you can't see him in the flesh. Just like the devil exist. The difference is God gives you hope. Along with believing in him. If you prey like you are suppose. Then sometimes he answer your pray. He don't answer all of them. Reason being if he did. you might not be as likely 2 prey everyday like you should. If he answer all of them. That's when you might take for grantie. Meaning you stop preying everyday like your suppose 2. That's when the devil comes in 2 play. He gives you pleasures you don't deserve. Anything u desire that sounds good for the moment. He tries 2 get u 2 work less for something. He promotes being lazy. Remember the devil will give or promise you just about anything. In return for soul in hell forever. God gives you the opurtunity 2 live in the afterlife. In peace and harmony.

0|0
    0|0
  • Which God? Humans have worshipped dozens of Gods, so you really need to be more specific.

0|0
    0|0
    • Personally I dont see evidence of any God, so I think the chance is low, but depending on the description of the God it can change. For example the christian God is at 0% in my opinion. The God of the bible contradicts himself over and over, calls himself perfect and then throws a tantrum when someone doesn't agree with him. Such a God doesn't fit with our reality, nor does God fit into it's own description of being perfect, morally upstanding, or all powerful. I don't see such a flawed being having so much power, otherwise I expect all humans would be dead by now, he can just start over after all. I think the chance of us surviving would be very low considering the way God was okay with the murder Job's innocent children. Even if they went to heaven, it would be immoral as God would be needlessly allowing pain and suffering.

• As likely as Superman existing IRL. Dunno how to quantify that.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't think God actually exist but I respect other people believe and religions

1|1
    0|0
  • For those who believe I am one of them God does exist. He is there when you need him. You may not get what you want but trust and believe he is there

1|1
    0|0
  • I personally believe there is no god but that’s because there is no god to me others may have someone called a god although I still believe in the universe so it’s only as likely as you believe so

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard to put a number to it.

I forget the exact number, but over the course of only about 1 × 10^-30 of our universe's lifetime is there any chance of life whatsoever, let alone for complex intelligent life such as us. Even with this narrow window, a very intelligent species could open or create a "baby universe" where it can forever escape annihilation by entropy. Given the infinite possibilities of the multiverse theory, our universe could be a "baby universe" created by another species. But now this sounds like scientology

If consciousness is an aspect or fact of the universe, just like dimensions, time, space, and particularly energy, there could be an underlying or central consciousness that we could call God.

1|0
    0|0
    • If confused though, which how can any of us know this answer for sure, Dr Peterson says something interesting. I'll paraphrase, "I act as if God does exist, but I'm terrified that he might."

• I’m caught between the lack of evidence and the creation of what already existed before the universe to make it all possible

0|0
    0|0
  • I never believed in god or religion but if science can prove he exists, I’ll believe it.

0|1
    0|0
  • "The heavens declare the glory of God. The skies proclaim the work of His hands." Psalms 19:1

1|1
    0|1
  • Unlikely
    If there's a god wanting to be known, it didn't spend time on it.

0|2
    1|1
  • Over 90000% percent he does exist. I notice him accepting my prayers sometimes

1|2
    0|2
    • He always answers our prayers. Sometimes it's yes, sometimes no, or maybe a wait, but He always gives us an answer when we pray (:

• I think God is more likely to exist in comparison with likelihood that he doesn't exist

1|0
    0|0
  • 92% given the latest findings about our blood, the roles each of our bodies play and how food is needed for survival in all living things with a heart and lung system.

The fact that we have temporal body existence shows that God's existence is highly likely because we once had no existence, then existence, then no existence again. I mean in the body sense, not spiritual sense. Existence can't pop into existence from nothing. From nothing, nothing comes. This leads to there must be reality beyond the universe and thus, highly showing that God likely exists.

1|1
    1|1
    • "Existence can't pop into existence from nothing."
      You don't know that.

"there must be reality beyond the universe"
      Even if we accept this premise. There's an infinite number of things that could satisfy that statement. It's absurd to think "God" has any more credibility than the rest of the possibilities.

• Show All
    • @Soporific-san
      Everything dies is a prediction based on things we observed in the past but we can't prove the future will be like the past. To claim we will die because others have is a belief.

• "Therefore, the prime source and first cause, by definition, must be God. "
      No all that means that there is something that happens. In no way can you narrow don't countless possibilities to a single idea.

• I'd say it's a 50/50 chance. He exists or he doesn't but there is no way to scientifically prove or his existence, so we won't know for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is a one-in-a-billion chance that we are not just a computer simulation

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s pretty good odds considering how large the universe is lol

Show More

Recommended myTakes