Why doesn't our government encourage us to live by Christian principles?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matt 22:34-40
I do not want to argue rather God is real that is beside the point. The principles they live by should be encouraged because if we followed this or at least strived too think how perfect our world would be.
I am not trying to argue the existance of God. What I am saying is if we all lived by the above verses there would be no crime at all. No reason for divorce or abortions. No STDs. So why doesn't our government encourage us to live by these principles instead of hating on Christians. This is proof to me they do not want what is best for us. In fact, encouraging buddism would get the same result.
35
11