Simply explain to a non-Christian the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant?

The task is to explain the difference between Catholic Christians and Protestant Christians in such a simple manner that even people who aren't familiar with Christianity would understand when you explain it. I feel like people expect everyone to have knowledge about Christianity but I certainly don't and even when I tried to understand the difference I couldn't. Best explanations get MHO.
27 d
To Christians who don't understand the difference between Catholic and Protestant: it's ok I'm Sunni Muslim and don't know the differences between Sunni and Shia despite having a Shia friend who tried to explain to me earlier.
26 d
Also guys please stop pushing y'all's personal opinions or agenda onto answering these questions. If you don't believe Catholicism is Christianity, fine, stop dissing Catholicism for it.
34
10