Can't one just be a Christian today? Where did all these denomination come from? Are they even necessary?

Bethmelan123
A few months ago, i overheard 2 gentleman sharing about the corona virus and how God decided to punish the entire world. Tbh that really interested me and I asked a few questions. I could tell they were Catholics because they wore golden rosaries. I introduced myself as a Christian and told them that I didn't identify with any religious sect. They gave me that look that most people give when I tell them I belong to no denomination. I later learnt that one of them was an apologetic and actually lived a few blocks from mine. We have since shared on several subject of major interests such as the Pope, Peter being the first Pope😊, baptism of infants, celibacy, confession to the priests, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the prayer to the saints etc.
Now, he wants to have me convert to Catholicism. Each time we see each other, he tells me stories of people that abandoned their churches and decided that the Catholic Church is the true church of God. According to him, the Catholic Church is the original church built by Jesus and the rest are departures from Catholicism. My question is, where did all these denomination come from? In the Book of Acts, the world had never heard of denomination at that time. Why do we seek to speak where the Bible is silent? Is it a sin for a Christian to have no denomination?
Cant one just be a Christian today? Where did all these denomination come from? Are they even necessary?
22
6