Lack of Male Nudity in Hollywood Strikes Again

With the new Fifty Shades Freed movie coming out, there was buzz that Jaime Dornan, aka, Christian Grey, would finally appear in all his naked glory instead of cut away shots of him almost exclusively wearing pants whilst having sex in the last film. The actor did oblige, and if you believe the stories, happily so...but you'll never see it on the big screen because all his full frontal scenes were cut by the director.

The director said, "...in the final cut, I'm being totally honest, it just didn't come off... Full frontal would have been a kind of deliberate cut, to see that for no reason. There's plenty of dailies where he's on, but it just didn't make the final cut. For dramatic reasons."

Um, isn't this a movie about two characters discovering each other through a fetishist version of sex? Who has sex with their pants pretty much entirely on? This is the part of Hollywood movies featuring sex scenes in general that drives me crazy. We can see a woman fully naked in every other scene, but showing half a second of a penis is just way too much and wouldn't serve any purpose? Then what purpose does it serve for female characters to be fully naked all the time either? I mean, once you've seen the Anastasia character naked in films one and two, you've seen her. And geezus, we've seen her front, back, side, everything, so if someone wants to talk about what is or isn't driving the story line...that.

If you're going to make a movie where the content is sex based, then make it that. Regular people have sex without clothes on or at least not covering their privates. I think it's far less about what women don't want to see or can't handle and more about the same usual over objectification of women in movies, especially those of a sexual nature which has been going on long before there was even a Hollywood to speak of.

We're a society that has made it so common in films to see a woman naked, that it's barely even the least bit shocking to anyone who routinely watches R rated films whether the content be sex based or not, but how many films ever feature a man fully naked, and not only that, but for the same amount of time on screen of his female counterparts? Kudos to Jaime for doing the scenes in the first place and not being "that guy" that's okay doing a nude film as long as he doesn't have to do nudity, but it really is about time that movies about sex specifically paint a more truthful portrait of what goes on behind closed doors instead of this lopsided reality where men apparently always wear a full suit and tie to have sex.

1957

Most Helpful Guy

• Males will get nude when THEY feel like getting nude and not on demand by Women.

1. Men are visually stimulated more than women.
    So women nudity is promoted.

2. Asking men to be nude is again a Feminist propaganda to destroy more self respect of men.

3. If male nudity is promoted , then there might be fake rape charges, fake sexual assault charges against that man.

4. Males don't need to prove themselves that they are sexy and they want liberation against Female dominated society.
    Males don't want to compete.

5. Males have more self respect and ego then women.

6. Males don't want to Do as women dictate and comply like an obedient dog. Males have been terrified by laws made against men in favour of women.
    Now women want males naked.

Some males will do as Feminists will want them to do, but most males with a little bit of self respect will refuse to comply to Feminists.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Umm I never watched this, I think it's one of the few movies friends never asked me to watch... It would probably be awkward...
    I can't imagine how it is and I wasn't really interested in watching it myself, even less interested after reading this take, thank you for writing it ^^

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 56

• Could you see her vagina in it? If not, then there isn't complaint to be had. Plus, the problem is how women don't find the rest of the male body sexually appealing enough to get the kicks out of seeing it other than his dick. It's not the lack of nudity, it;s how the male body is not sexualized which is why a man's butt or shirtless body shown is not considered nudity and nothing to get women going. Because if we're to go in that direction, actually it's more of the male body shown more often than female body. Men are shirtless and bare torso more often in movies whether action or romance movies or sex scenes and it seems a man's ass is shown just as much as a woman's. So body part per body part, the male body isn't shown any less. It's just the dick, but that's porn territory going that way. Plus when a woman is fully nude, it's more in an artisitc way and not graphic way. It's not like you're seeing a woman's legs spread and look at her vagina. That would be porn territory like man's dick shown. So since a woman nude, can hide an graphic view of her body based on her anatomy it can be shown before man's dick as it prevents from providing an explicit view which would make a film nc-17

• We live in a world where women cannot even breast feed their own hungry babies without someone oogling them or telling them to cover up, let alone go for a jog braless as men are freely allowed to do in society. The female breasts have been over sexualized even when they are not doing anything that should be considered sexual like breast feeding.

If we're talking full frontal nudity, that means full frontal for men or women. How is a man standing naked any more or less sexual than his female counterpart? NC-17 comes into play if you're showing fluids, or certain actions, or actual sex. It should not be used for someone just standing naked about to do something, otherwise, all these films with women doing full frontal would be NC-17 and they aren't.

• But men's show more of their bodies other than their dicks compared to women. If women got excited seeing men's other body parts except their dicks, this would be irrelevant. Men are shirtless a hell of a lot more than women topless and a man's bare butt is shown more than a woman's bare butt.

• You're missing the point. We do not over sexualize a man with his shirt off. A man plays basketball, goes for a jog, does yard work without a shirt off. A woman cannot without being arrested unless she is at least wearing a bra top. She cannot even breastfeed, as I said, without someone walking by and making it seem like she's doing porn. Does that make sense?

We're not talking about playing basketball here or even breastfeeding, we're talking about sex. Do you have sex with all your clothes on? Is that how sex happens in your world? There is a reasonable expectation that if this is a movie, or real life, where sex is happening, nudity is there on both the parts of men and women. I don't know why I need to explain this? So why is it that in that context, men are never featured in full frontal as women are? If we are so horrified by the idea of male full frontal nudity being available in an R-rated film, where is your same outrage over a woman being full frontal in an R-rated film?

• It's not a rated X movie, so...

Seriously, if women really wanted more male nudity, Hollywood would give it to them. Money talks, but women in general like the suggestion more than they like the actual imagery. Men are the exact opposite, so they play to the most common denominator on both sides.

• And what gender are you... and basically everyone else who has made this comment? Women want... how the heck do you know what women want, and besides we are never even given the option to see R rated films with full frontal male nudity which doesn't even allow us to decide for ourselves what we do and don't like. And if you think full frontal male nudity deserves and X rating then please explain to me why full female frontal nudity only gets an R and why you should be the only ones "allowed" to see it? Most directors of such films are, no surprise, men which is also cannot be discounted.

• Because women are easy to read, despite what they like to think. Next question.

• yea its so strange that its not that rare to see a full frontal nude women but you never ever see a full frontal penis.

I think if we are gonna do it, then it should be both ways. I mean its just a body part. Especially a flaccid relaxed penis isn't that scary is it?

• That's because society thinks that male nudity is obscene and female nudity is "tasteful". That's societies standards not the film industry. Why do you think male nudity is used as a joke but not female nudity? That aside, I couldn't even watch the first movie, the previews alone made it look so utterly terrible both as porn (because that's what it is, its female porn) and as a film (the characters are well not people).

• Serious question:

Why don't you just use google image search or any porn site to look at any amount or style or quality, or quantity of male nudity that you could possibly want?

And comfort yourself in the sure knowledge that if they really did film a bunch of this dude's pecker, it'll probably be made available in some uncensored version to be released later, that way they dupe all you females into buying the stupid shit twice.

Because you know that's why they go to the trouble of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to produce this shit, right? Because you and the other 70% of females will pay out the nose for something that you could find more of, and better of, for FREE, as long as they manipulate you correctly.

Men don't pay for porn, idiots. Just saying. That shit's free and it's always five seconds away. We don't have to get dressed up and pay $20 damned dollars, NO WONDER YOU GIRLS ALWAYS COMPLAIN YOU NEVER HAVE ANY MONEY, BECAUSE YOU SPEND IT LIKE A NAKED COMANCHE ON Saturday NIGHT IN CHIHUAHUA!

• This is pretty much a double standard, the same people who want to see this actor nude are most likely the same ones who complain about women being objectified in society. Just imagine the outrage if a bunch of male fans demanded to see a actress go fully nude in a movie.

Look, I can understand that since you are a woman who is into men, you want to see this actor go nude but I don’t think it’s fair to keep demanding it especially if the actors aren’t comfortable doing that.

• I came to this post solely to upvote this.

• You did read the part where the actor was fine and did the scenes but they were cut by the director

• @Waffles731 I’m not specifically referring to this actor, I’m referring to any actor that may feel uncomfortable going nude on screen.

• Most girls say penises are gross to look at and I don't think Dakota has actually had her vagina visible in any of the movies.

• Fifty Shades of Grey, featured full-frontal nudity on the part of its lead actress, Dakota Johnson; the film carried an R rating. By contrast, “Shame” featured an image of a fully exposed Michael Fassbender; the movie carried an NC-17 rating. If a woman can stand somewhere fully naked on film, then a man standing naked should receive equal ratings of either R ratings or NC-17 ratings, but this is rarely the case. If a penis is even glimpsed, a majority of the time, the film gets and automatic NC-17, yet on screen you can see a woman lying in bed naked, standing up, walking around, sitting in a chair, whatever for minutes, not seconds, and it's R-rated.

• I agree. Nudity is important to some storylines but often pointless too. A film like... Gray shouldn’t be ashamed to show it in telling the story.

• The director of the last film said that Grey's character's nudity didn't make the film basically for artistic and dramatic reasons and found that it would have not furthered the story line, but we're not talking about a film about a school teacher who saves inner city kids, we're talking about a film and a book about sex, graphic at that. Where else on earth is it more appropriate for two characters to both be naked? Pointless nudity... is indeed pointless, but if you're going to make a sex movie... make a sex movie.

• This movie is meant for women, women are generally not aroused by the male body naked, while are actually aroused by naked women (seriously you can look it up) . The lack of sexual attraction women have for the male body is why this happened in this movie

• You're wrong unless you mean bisexual or homosexual women. Don't believe fake statistics. There are straight women and straight men.

• Not statistics, actual scientific peer reviewed studies, women who claimed to be straight where aroused by naked women to a far higher degree than they where aroused by men. Also lesbian porn is by far the most popular genre to the female demographic according to pornhub.

• This whole movie is retarded, all of these are. It's porn for the big screen. She shouldn't be allowing herself to be naked on screen either. No one should.

• And the circle of life continues.. Males doing this. Females doing that.
    Don't you ever get tired :'D

I'd even imagine a bunch of people whining if a male genitial is "FINALLY" shown.

• We don't need more male nudity... we need less female nudity. Being an actress shouldn't mean also being a stripper or a soft core porn star.

Films don't need any nudity in them. Directors are just perverts.

• There shouldn't be anything perverted about the human body.

• @Kkaos
      Saying the writers and directors are perverts is that saying the body is perverted.
      Intellectually dishonest of you to try and play semantics and word games. I would say that a vast majority of these women would much rather work as actresses and have good/fun roles without that requiring them to go naked on screen. That only occurs because the directors choose to have some meaningless T&A scene in every other film.

Believe it or not, most people choose to get naked when they are alone with their mate, not in front of a film crew and not to have their body on film for millions to see... for eternity.

Not being pressured by directors (to get jobs) to strip on camera isn't calling a persons body perverted.

• Well it's not 'every second film' and the films you're watching are probably big budget films where the cast are paid a huge amount. They can easily choose not to feature in them if it makes them uncomfortable. They're grown adults and it's their choice.

• Well, it's not that surprising. The movie industry is an international business and there are many places in the world where audiences and, more significantly, the relevant authorities, won't allow movies with nudity to be shown.

• Women are always saying they don't want to see random guys naked! lol :-P But I do notice it's become more and more slowly. Like Game of Thrones for example.

• Fifty Shades of Grey is a Twilight fanfiction with a bland girl of no personality a girl can project herself onto. The soccer mom pantheon of movie reviewers don't approve of the female orgasm or male nudity. Welcome to now.

• Studies have found that women don't like full male nudity in the way that men like full female nudity in movies.

Some years back Playgirl magazine quit having full male nudity because most women didn't really want it.

• I see I've been downvoted by women in denial...

• Everybody talks about the kinkey sex, he owned a helicopter, no one mentions a helicopter, I'm old a d fat and fly, but I bet I could pull of I was a billionaire with my own helicopter, that's what turns women money. It's based on a yrie story, I bet on teal life Christian Grey was an ugly day cunt like Peter Stringfelow and he only got laid because he was rich
    I wish I had a billion quid and my own helicopter.

• I agree, we shouldn't prevent the guy from being naked where it makes sense as there clearly is an audience for that and it would ultimately make the movie a lot more realistic.

• Considering the viewer base of the movie series, it's a bit strange they cut them from the movies. The hollyweird execs are a bit delusional about what people want I think..

• A woman's tits are allowed in R rated movies, not her genitals. In so-called female nude scenes, the actress (or body double) is usually wearing a merkin. There's never actual pussy shown.

• More from Guys
    36

What Girls Said 18

• Well, I can think of one film: Magic Mike. And a French film called "Lay with me". But that's about it. This is a really good take. I definitely think it's the usual objectification of women's bodies here at work. More male nudity -- if it's context based! I wouldn't complain about that :)

• It's not a porno lol. Nobody really wants to see this guy's penis. Half the women who say they would like to would probably complain that it wasn't what they dreamed it would be. Better to maintain the illusion, like the monster you never see.

• Yeah women aren't really attracted to the male body, they are more aroused by the female body in fact.

• @Markfish nope.

• Then why don't women want to see random naked men?

• Because we don't want to see them naked, no one wants to unless it's their favorite celeb.

• Yeah women aren't attracted to the male body, they are more aroused by the female body

• If women and men who cared started writing the producers of such movies weekly like the guy in the shawshank redemption to complain about the lack of male full frontal nudity, do you think it will happen?

• Women in particular, have complained to the movie ratings board specifically about their being qualifiers for male nudity, as in, movie goers get warned if a film has male nudity, but not for female nudity specifically. The MPAA though operates largely in secret (you can't know who's on it) and often those that complain, as in movie directors/actors/etc about censorship, get the cold shoulder. Add to that, a lot of directors in Hollywood are male, as are writers, so they're going to tell a story more so from their POV which further complicates the issue. As I pointed out to someone, the majority of people saying women don't want to see this are male, and if we're never even given a chance to see male nudity, how is it we've already decided we don't want to see it if we've never seen it or been exposed to it on film the way we have for female nudity.

• I don't know, I can't imagine MPAA members reading through movie rating boards. There's got to be a better way.

• I saw "FIFTY SHADES FREED" Saturday with my sisters and some boys and I have to agree with you totally.
    I most certainly loved what I saw from behind but please, are we still half way in Victorian England for Pete Sakes... see I even used virgin language... lol
    I absolutely loved this movie but don't keep the shades over my eyes please while I'm watching it.
    I mean after all it was R rated... aren't adults allowed to see adult things in adult movies?
    What am I missing here? ... lol

• Ya there's a lack of male dancers in music videos too

• I don't want to see a naked male or a naked female, gross

• You really did a great job-raising such goo issue! Appreciating you from heart.

• Preach. I need to see naked men yo.

• you're taken :o

• That's so good to see ☺☺☺

I love it when women show us some much needed love 😍 and desirability.
      In dire times like these it's a sunray from the ever dark clouds.
      *sigh*
      If only more women were like you.
      I love women.

• All "HAIL THE PROUD WOMAN" cuz She accepted the truth.

• I agree, Hollywood needs more naked men.

• God he is so hot🔥

• there was a penis in the tim and eric movie

• Poor straight women. Being objectified by the media and not even getting to see the bits they enjoy

• For real. Bring on the dongs.

• go watch porn?

• I do. I just liked the assonance.

On a serious note, I did see Shame with Michael Fassbender and think the nudity was well done. We need to stop treating men’s bodies like they’re something off limits. Showing a nude man, especially when he’s soft, really highlights his vulnerability in certain scenes. Showing him briefly during sex is just realistic. Why are we ashamed of the human body?

• Huh never even thought about it

• Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the insight!

• In the movies defence Dakota Johnston showed as much flesh as Jamie

• Why women arae grossed out seeing a male full naked in a movie? I mean when they are gettign laid and having sex with your SO, aren't they suppsoed to be naked as well? So what is the difference between seeing a naked guy on screen tan seeing in live in your SO?