Myths and Truths: Squirting, Female "Cumming" and Female Ejaculation

Myth: Women Cum

Truth: Cum is a noun and it comes from the word scum, and relates specifically to male semen. Women do not produce semen. We do not cum. We come. Originally, in erotic literature, the male and female orgasm were both referred to as "coming" or short for "the orgasm came". People heard the word come and assumed it was the same at the word cum, so now virtually everyone uses the term cum wrong (as a verb, it's not a verb).

This misuse over about the past 25 years has led many people to think that most/all women also produce some sort of ejaculate, and women are even told they should be ejaculating and just need to be taught. This leads us to another myth...

Myth: All women squirt

Truth: Squirting is one of two things. One is rare and will happen on its own. The other is less rare, and when it happens on its own, it's considered a medical problem. Read more -

In humans, in the first stage of fetal development, the beginnings of what will become the male prostate form in both male and female fetuses. In the second stage of development, the mother's body feeds the fetus a sex-specific cocktail of hormones, and that causes the prostate to develop in male fetuses, but not much in female fetuses.

Very rarely this gland, called the Skene's gland in females, develops enough that it can produce fluid like what the male prostate does. This is incredibly rare. In fact, it is so rare that it took decades of study for doctor's to discover functional Skene's glands in women, as they are so often just vestigial.

These women will naturally produce the fluid in small quantity at time of orgasm, through the urethra, and it will happen whenever they orgasm with no special stimulation required.

This phenomena is so rare most of us will never see it. (Coates, 1991) That is true female ejaculation.

Then there is another phenomena. It is called coital incontinence. It is not female ejaculation. Coital incontinence can happen for many reasons, and it is often treated medically.

What is popular right now is manipulating the urethral sponge to irritate the urethra and then the woman forces urine out to produce a noticeable "squirt". That is essentially what is happening when it is seen in pornography. It is often associated with the G-Spot, but there is also not anatomical evidencefor the existence of the G-Spot to begin with, so the two myths have become intertwined, each adding credibility to the other.

What is often misunderstood about this kind of squirting is that is is not in any way related to orgasm, and trying to obtain it requires motions that may actually interrupt a woman's sexual arousal cycle so that she won't actually orgasm, just pee really hard. Many women are told this is some awesome ultimate orgasm experience, but it turns out to be just meh for them.

There is not some hierarchy of better female orgasms. Our orgasms are all clitoral, no matter how we reach the orgasm (even mentally). onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ca.22177/full

1739
MlleCake is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on your source. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/come shows at 2. j. that come is a verb: to experience orgasm.
    Also, the Urban Dictionary has it as a verb and for both sexes. www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=come
    Further searching I found
    "People use both come and cum as a verb to mean the experience of having an orgasm, and/or ejaculating, whether ejaculating means secreting semen from a male or (controversially) any fluid that may be secreted from a female, at orgasm; and as a noun meaning semen or (controversially) any fluid that may be secreted from a female during orgasm." at ell.stackexchange.com/.../49055

So verb or noun, and male or female.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Urban dictionary? That's your source? lol

• @yougurt - Urban dictionary is "one" of the sources (which anyone who can read could easily see - better brush up on your skills), and is one that closely reflects how a word or term is currently being used.

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank you!
    Kind of over hearing how all women can squirt and "you just haven't found the right guy to make you do it yet" 🙄
    I'd really rather not piss everywhere, thanks!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 38

• This is a pretty good note.

Regarding squirting.: I think women should relax and enjoy the pleasure they feel during sex rather than some end goal. It is the only way they can end up squirting. Some women squirt others dont. I have been able to get one ex girlfriend so turned on that she was as wet as cream. There was no need of lube. I had sex with another woman who squirted... A LOT. She squirting so much that she was squirting for 30 minutes and the bed was completely wet. The most recent girl I have been seeing gets very wet but neither creamy or squirts. She is more modest sexually. I have found that squirting really is often associated with the sensativity of the GSPOT. Those who like deep penetration and can feel more comfortable in deep sensations of pleasure are more likely to squirt. The recent girl I am seeing really gets turned on by shallow penetration. She doesn't squirt. What I found interesting is that her GSPOT was very shallow. It was only 1 knuckle of my my finger deep rather than the usual two. Every lady is different.

Also, you could talk about how each orgasm feels different. GSPOT orgasms feel different than Clitoral. And all of these orgasms feel different than the sexual release of squirting. Clitoral is the most intense in a central location. Deep spot or GSPOT orgasms are the most intense all over the body. A squirting is more of a release.

• No, G-spot orgasms are not the most intense. XD

• Actually, it's not a different concentrate. It's pee with some vaginal lubricants that contaminates it as it comes out. Also, yes someone could pee for 30 mins. Their research showed that the bladder fills more rapidly during sexual arousal, since they had all of the women pee before they stimulated their selves and ultrasounds during the process showed the bladder filling quickly. A woman takes only about 7 mins to get off. Yet, our bladders fill enough to urinate in that time. Think about that.

• @wolfcat87 Fair enough. You guys have convinced me that it is pee. I will fully be a man and admit that I was wrong. Will you forgive me?

• Finally description of the mythology of common squirters. The best description I have ever heard to a real "squirt" is a woman explaining it as an emotionally coupled event related to her emotions. With that the event proceeds with a fairly long build up of the Skene's swelling to the point of pushing the penis out. Near this point she then ejaculates real ejaculate. So anyways there is peeing which I understand well and then there is the actual "squirt" which many seem to claim do. Okay.

• The Skene's gland doesn't really squirt or bulge in size when it produces the fluid. That's the thing. When you notice the engorgement in the first third of the vagina, that is simply the normal erectile tissue of the clitoris, and occasionally you can feel the bladder bulge.

You don't have to manipulate anything in the Skene's gland to get it to produce fluid. It either will or it won't, and if it does, what comes out is not usually a strong "squirt".

The Skene's gland is non-functional in most women. So much so that it took many many many years for scientists to find out that the gland can even do something at all. Then the reasons some women had a functional one wasn't understood until the last few years.

You are still describing the forced urination kind of squirting yourself.

• Sorry, luv, but language changes over time. "Cum" is now a noun AND a verb, and does NOT refer only to male ejaculate. And "literally" actually means figuratively, most of the time.
    The rest is more of the same nonsense; opinion masked as fact.

• I appreciate that we have developed a cultural misuse of the word "cum" - but this error in terminology we have nursed for the past 20 or so years has just led to more confusion about how the female body works. That's why backing the terms out to where they retain their accurate meaning is a way of getting people to back themselves out of errant, medically inaccurate concepts.

I can and will provide references to new science of the female orgasm if you want to dispute the factuality of anything I have claimed herein. I generally don't include all the references because it's a bog down to read and GAG users are not usually keen on reading abstracts.

• And once again, when cornered about actual data, you resort to ad hominems. So, really, you got nothing. That's fine for an opinion piece; anyone's entitled to an opinion. But don't try to pass yourself off as knowledgeable on the topic. It's just sad...

• No. YOU have NOTHING. YOU. Nothing. You just THINK you do, and you're not big enough to expand your mind to adopt knew facts. You immediately dismissed the first "data", and now I simply choose not to waste my time discussing data with someone who has suspended the use of reason. You're a quibbling, small-minded tyrant and the only thing to say to people like you is that you're trying to fight out of your weight class.

Enjoy not ever knowing how a clitoris works. Good for you. Capital choice on your part. Hear! Hear! Bravo, and congratulations. You have surely bested me. Now, on your bike sir. Ta ta.

• orgasm is a mental thing, you can't have an orgasm no matter how hard you're penetrated if your mind is not focused on it !
    It usually takes me 30 mins to orgasm on normal basis and only when I'm looking for a break to cool down I concentrate and orgasm, yet I loved a girl so much and the passion was so crazy between us I couldn't hold my orgasm for more than 5 mins even If I wanted to !
    this is why many people try to drink more before sex so they set their thoughts on "flight mode" and their desires on the main track !
    I had a girl who was orgasming so hard from anal sex ! it's all in the mind, the real G-spot lays in the mind, and the squirting thing has to do with the stage of arousal and pelvic muscles strength, from what I understood it's the stage of mind where the female is so aroused and ready to orgasm so the pelvic muscles contract as if before an orgasm while the smaller muscles of the bladders opening gets into a relaxing stage and there you go a gushing show ! yet it's not an orgasm but since it's an extraordinary not usual common thing, the female gets a joy of having it which gives a similar "happy after orgasm stage" !
    as you said the only physical form is clitoral, others are all mental !

• Ne-ga-tiive. Only proles need to focus on it. It just happens to the Magical.

• Myths and Truths: Although interesting I've never been interested enough to research female squirting, ejaculation, and/or female orgasms.
    We do not cum, we come.
    Cum comes from scum.
    Virtually everyone uses the term cum wrong.
    Whoever said a female produces semen?
    I won't comment unless I'm sure about what I'm commenting on, a woman cumming/coming, squirting, ejaculating you're incorrect. The well written information you provided is mostly " Myth " and very little
    if any " Truth "

• I can only tell about my little experience with squirting girls. I had only 2 of them. The stuff tasted acrid apart from that it was neutral, color- and odorless. 5-15ccm of liquid. Hard to say precisely. It's really rare in noticable quantities. One only squirted when I pulled out completely and went in rather fast and violently again. So kind of sucktion and pressure took place inside her. The type of which you would apply when massaging her g-spot.
    If you are doing 69ners, you'll notice that all women loose liquids on the way, but from different sources (Bartholine's and Skenes glands, etc), in different quantities and different viscosities.
    In commercial pornography is all about faking it. Some have liters shooting out. Anyone who believes this to be real is a naive idiot of course. The few girls that I know who were potential squirters, didn't squirt because they resisted the "urge to piss" while in the act. They got rid of their juices later on the toilet, where they wondered, why their "piss" was transparent and odorless.

• Most women do not have a functional Skene's gland. The Bartholin's glands produce a squalene like lubricant to keep the inner labia moist, but they do not squirt, and they do not drain through the urethra.

If your woman had the urge to urinate and then relieved that urge, what squirted out was urine. By every medical means possible, it has been shown that even when very very light in color, its still urine.

The rare woman with a functional Skene's gland reports an entirely different set of physical sensations than that "rub this g-spot, make her feel like she has to pee" kind of squirting.

• My bladder never has anything in it. I'm obsessive about it because I hate the feeling of having anything in there.

• @Purplehigh86 You know, even if you pee right before you have sex, having sex is long enough for you to get more fluid in your bladder. Serious as a heart attack. Now, you can call that fluid magic unicorn juice if it makes you happy, but it's urine. Just is. Those are the breaks. Sorry.

• Interesting. Many pseudo-scientific words to say something that is against my experience. I know what I did to her and how she reacted.
    Fullstop. I know how her abilty to squirt came by my action on her.

• I'm sure it did. As I said "What is popular right now is manipulating the urethral sponge to irritate the urethra and then the woman forces urine out to produce a noticeable "squirt"."

• But her squirt was sweet, not sour like urine.

• You have not consumed enough urine to compile a data catalogue of how to tell urine by taste. That's the point. You do NOT know what substance came out of your woman because you didn't catch it and have it analyzed at a lab.

The people who do actually catch the liquids, and have analyzed them are reporting the same two phenomena that I am reporting to you. They have been reporting these same two phenomena now for many years. However, theories that were not based in anatomy, chemistry or biology still abound in our popular narrative because people prefer to think of them that way.

I haven't used any psuedo-science to reach any conclusion I have given here. I read, have read, and will continue to read the cutting edge science of the female orgasm, observe the scientific methods and technologies used, and report them back to people who desire such things.

You desire the illusion that it was not urine, and your evidence is that you know all the ways urine can taste. (Clue: you don't.)

• My opinion is that most female orgasms are clitoral, from what I've read. But, while certainly rare, I've had sex with at least 3 or 4 women who ejaculated. And it doesn't come out like, or smell or taste (or on the sheet, look that much) like piss. It usually pushes out with force, along my cock if Im inside her, or gushes out if Im not. Girls are also depressingly self-conscious and if they thought it was piss, theyd react differently. As I absolutely love it, I've looked it up, and the scientific name for it is 'prostate-specific entogens'. I expect that many girls just dont do it, but those who do, its the most awesome thing.

• Read my response to the thread, yo.

• If a woman squirts a liquid that pushes out with force, comes out of her urethra, and is watery in consistency, more volume than a teaspoon: every test that every scientist has ever done proves IT IS URINE. Even if it looks clear and doesn't have a piss smell or taste to YOU, the casual, untrained observer who doesn't have the lights on, and isn't having the substance tested for chemical composition, it is yet STILL URINE.

The other kind of female ejaculation, that is not pee, is not like any of those things you described. It took scientists a long time to prove that over and over, but they have done that now as well.

The only debate is whether it's ok to dig it if it is piss, and that, my friend, is up to you.

I decided the mess and the hassle were just not worth any gain I experienced 99% of the time because it actually isn't all that pleasurable, I can control it, it almost never has anything to do with an actual orgasm, and then sometimes I can't control the spasms for an hour.

• And I am among many women who have discovered these things.

But we get shouted down for saying these things because people just want the magic thing to be true so badly.

People must simply accept the fact that women, do not, by-in-large, ejaculate, and to expect it or demand it, or even fetishize it will lead to people faking it. And no one really wants to be faked in bed. So people need to dial back the common narrative a few notches. Not all women can do it, and not all women want to do it, because it isn't always the great magical pleasure of mythology.

A woman who does not squirt, or doesn't want to squirt did not have a worse, less fulfilling, weak or inferior orgasm. Each woman is different, but all our orgasms are STILL clitoral. No matter what stimulation got us there, even mental stimulation, the orgasm still happened in and because of the clitoris so long as some part of it remains intact/functional.

• very good article!

is too bad that I no longer care about this type of things anymore. I thing pleasing a woman is a major waste of time

• I know my girlfriend produces this creamy stuff. I guess she's rare?

• The cramy stuff is not ejaculate at all, and it's doesn't come squirting out, nor is it from the urethra. The creamy stuff is her natural vaginal lubrication (mostly blood plasma) that is made cloudy by three things: friction that oxidizes the fluid, cells that slough off from the walls of the vagina, and lactobacillus and other similar NORMAL bacteria in the vagina.

In some women, a lot is produced, but it isn't something that increases because of orgasm - it doesn't come like a flood. It's just the moisture that was in the vagina carrying the cellular material out of the vagina because that's how vaginas stay clean. It mostly comes out via gravity.

I refer to it as "creamy goodness" like it's the filling for a Twinkie.

• I think that may be an issue of perception on your part. While you're pumping in and out, I doubt you're measuring the amount of blood plasma that is seeping through the walls of her vagina.

• I guess it could be a lot over time.

• So what actually happens when woman comes? I know it sounds dumb, I'm aware that vijvajy relaxes when women orgasm and squirting is a myth but yet I'm not sure what consist of female orgasm. Is it physical action or just mental pleasure?

• And yeah I did ask question about it long ago but it got removed for "Adult content under 18" I hope they don't remove this opinion as well

• *which

• They did studies on squirters using ultrasounds during masturbation to show the bladder filling then emptying. It's likely a result of urinary incontinence which is common in women as they age. In 3 different studies 45-55% of women noticed fluid squirting out during sex. That matches the number of women who develop urinary incontinence and trouble controlling peeing.

• to be completely honest, what it is and where it comes from really doesn't matter to me too much. I can tell you is it is such a turn-on and so fucking hot when you get a girl to squirt all over you... Absolutely love it!

• That portrait is hilarious. But whatever the truth may be, I think trust is essential in discovering the truth. And be mature and understanding about the results. Women don't HAVE to be pornstars, they should be themselves. Takes patience.

• It's just fucking nasty it's cum, piss, and other bodily fluids flying out of a woman's puss like spit flying out of a ball player's mouth on a windy day in all directions. fuck that shit. Why are we even talking about this? Fogettaboutit...

• It's never cum. Cum is semen. Women don't produce semen. What we are discussing doesn't come out of "the puss", it comes out of the urethra. We're talking about it because it's educational about the female sexual response, and I happen to think that's a perfectly fine thing to discuss.

• Well OK. I'm following you. But my SO did something. She was on top. It wasn't pee, I tasted it, and if it wasn't squirting then what was it. It was liquid and tasted bland.

• regardless of what you want to write about it, it is gross. I was flinching every time I was eating her out. I just couldn't keep dating the last woman I was with. It certainly wasn't the only reason I broke up with her, but it was a big reason. Had she talked to me about it before we had sex, and had I been able to understand before it just happened, it would have been better for our relationship. My advice to women, especially older women, don't leave the guy in the dark until you have sex and this happens. Had she done that while I was eating her out I would have puked everywhere. And I am not bullshitting.

• So women rarely legit squirt when having an orgasm?

And that they often fake it by just peeing a strong stream caused by irritation and forced stimulation?

Am I missing something?

• I don't think women can urinate while turned on, so if you see a liquid coming from the urethra, it's most likely not urine

• Also, it's likely a result of urinary incontinence which is common in women as they age. In 3 different studies 45-55% of women noticed fluid squirting out during sex. That matches the number of women who develop urinary incontinence and trouble controlling peeing.

• Right.
      Thanks for responding ladies.

• I thank you... I've been trying to get the truth for so long, and you just gave me what I was looking for.

• Nice I love squirting pussies, it's my favorite porn! & Also my girlfriend leaks gooey white stuff that looks like semen when she orgasms.

• I guess I learned something today: don't stick your dick in the vacuum cleaner.

• I'm not sure how that plays into this, but yeah, I generally agree with you, I would say. Not bad advice. Don't stick your dick in the vacuum cleaner. I can get behind that.

You have any more eye openers to add?

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 16

• When I squirt it doesn't come out of my urthetha. When it first started happening I was very proactive in finding out how it works for me. It squirts out of the same gland that produces thicker white come. That little thing that keeps a woman's vagina moist during sex. It Also doesn't interfere with my regular clitoral orgasm that produces more come as it's happening. They go hand and hand. So although some women may have issues where what they are squirting comes from their urethra do to maybe an incontinence issue, it's not what I refer too as squirting. And I want the few ladies out there to not be ashamed about it as it is a normal thing that comes at a higher state of arousal. It doesn't taste like urine and most guys love it when they turn a woman on so much it happens. So whether it happens or not it's completely normal. Just making that point clear since the writer here would have you think it's a medical condition which sound like it's something bad. So you are normal if you do it and normal if you don't.

• There is not a gland that produces "thicker white come" in a woman. If the liquid you are speaking of comes out of your vagina, it is blood plasma that seeped through the walls of your vagina, essentially your regular vaginal moisture turned up a bit because your body is lubricating for sex. The Bartholin's glands also produce a clear squalene type fluid down near the bottom of the inner labia, not from inside the vagina.

If the fluid from the vagina is especially white, that simply means it has cellular matter like shed epithelial cells from the vagina and bacteria like lactobacillus.

Yes, women's vaginas naturally tend to lubricate more when aroused - not always, and it doesn't necessarily indicate a higher or better state of arousal. It doesn't squirt out in volume when a woman orgasms either. It's just been building up in the vagina during the arousal and plateau states of the female arousal cycle. It certainly isn't anything to be ashamed about either way.

• But involuntary coital incontinence is an actual medical problem for some women, and those women deserve to know it can be treated if it has become a hassle for them.

• When studied in a scientific setting, it was not cum. It was pee. This was checked on multiple women, and it was always mostly pee mixed with minor amounts of fluid from a wet vagina. The gland you speak of it too tiny to produce any noticeable amount of fluid. it's certainly not enough to "squirt". That gland is the size of a small pencil eraser. You do the math. Giant bladder squirting copious amounts of pee... tiny eraser sized gland squirting anything anyone would see...

• I'm just putting this here for people to see in general. I figured it's more of a summary.

• I remember my mother similarly clarifying cum to me over 20 years ago. The squirt topic only became an issue that applied to me when my boyfriend insisted that I actually did it. At first, I was embarrassed because I thought I squirted pee on him due to so much excitement and/or stimulation. Later, I got fascinated with the thought that I have excessive vaginal lubrication not only flowing out but gushing and squirting as well. That's probably the "top of the line" or "cream of the crop" orgasmic rush. Unfortunately, I have experienced this only a handful of times. It doesn't mean my usual orgasms aren't eyes-popping, body-quivering fantastic.

By the way, I like the water fountain touch. I thought it was amusing. :)

• Actually, squirting comes distinctly from the urethra, not the vagina.

• I was embarrassed like you because I thought I had wet myself during an orgasm. It didn't happen for me until I was about your age and it was when I had a wild streak and dated and drank a lot. After it happened if anyone squeezed my butt I would have an orgasm and squirt and I also would get really wet during sex when before I was always kind of dry. I dont know what it is or what actually causes it but I do experience it

• It's funny to read the replies from men to this. They really want to believe their ladies didn't just piss on them. It's involuntary, but they did. If it was clear and not smelly it's because they were hydrated. Good for them.

• I disagree with one section. The clitoris actually has two spots in the vagina where it can be touched. The deeper of the two (closer to the cervix) is WAY more sensitive, and the orgasms feel different. The mythical "G" spot actually produces what many call a "tantric" orgasm.

• *Some* women do find they have areas inside the vagina where the vaginal wall just happens to lie very close to a sensitive area of the clitoris. But it is still the clitoris that has the orgasm. Only about 25-30% of women can orgasm from simple vaginal intercourse, partially because these "spots" are not common to all women.

The thing is, each woman has orgasms in her own way/ways. There is not a better or worse way, a right or wrong way. Women who do not orgasm from simple vaginal intercourse (most of us) go around wondering what is wrong with their bodies. Women who find they like only external stimulation are treated like they are not having as good of orgasms as women who have these internal "spots". And now women who don't squirt are treated like they are "missing something" by people who don't even know what squirting is.

How YOU orgasm 1. deserves to be explored 2. deserves to be given equal priority in sex 3. deserves to be treated like it is good, and "enough"

• Great piece! Unfortunately, the one time i had sex in my life i did not achieve orgasm. I am somehow only able to achieve it during masterbation. Is that bad?

• I dont know the science or biology of what happens-I just know it happens to me when aroused

• wow, this is more informative than actual sex ed b (=^‥^=) o

• It's a god given talent unfortunately i am not one of these special breed

• It's not really a talent, and it's not that incredible. You're not missing much.

• I never been able to squirt no matter how hard i tried

• Good, that means your pelvic floor muscles are healthy and functioning properly.

• Very good written and explained :) Thank you :)

• Great post. Unfortunately I cannot squirt.

• Thank you.

• Thanks so much for writing this. So many idiots online are always like "oh I squirt, I'm so hot." and deny it's urine until they're blue in the face. It's really not possible or even appealing for me. Pissing over your partner is not hot lmao. People who think women squirt ejaculate shouldn't have sex until they learn female anatomy and that includes dumb women.

• did you write all this jargon to compensate for being an unorgasmic non squirter that can't cum?

• Neither. My Skene's gland doesn't squirt like most women's don't, but I based this in the current science on the subject. I also know how to produce the other kind of squirting, but since it's pee, I don't really care for it.

I am remarkably orgasmic when I receive the kind of stimulation I like.

• Dude, I've felt the stimulation described that is supposed to make women pee all over the place. it's not nearly as nice feeling as the many other types stimulation in the bedroom. No, thank you. I cum left and right, but I keep my pee in while I do so. Yay! Also, just about any man who's had tons of good sex can prolly vouch that even men can have dry orgasms that feel exactly like wet ones. No loss there, just less messy.

• @wolfcat87 : you're talking about non-ejaculatory orgasm. Those in touch with their body can have a full-body orgasm by thinking about it. I can.

• Thank you.