Why Most Women Are Not Bisexual

Why Most Women Are Not Bisexual

The purpose of this post is not to imply that bisexuality doesn't exist. It's to clear up a few misconceptions surrounding the popular notion that "most women are bisexual". This phenomenon started around the year 2000, well after my formative years, so I've always been suspect of it.

First of all, it is important to note that according to US Government statistics, only 0.7% of all adults identify as bisexual. This percentage goes up (a little) when it comes to Caucasian women 18-30, especially in progressive areas, college campuses, and those who work in the sex industry (porn and strippers). But that's cultural influence, not biology.

Also, the influence of porn is quite substantial. Couple that with the entertainment industry's use of it as a money-making tool, both these things have normalized this phenomenon to the point of it actually being ingrained into our culture.

Also, many women think this what men want. However, it is such a psychologically lazy way to garner male attention in order stand out in the dating pool. Perhaps they feel they have nothing else to offer, so they play this up.

Let's get into the 'studies'. The studies are done by horny old men, very small sample sizes, and tons of selection bias / confirmation bias. They show nothing other than women being aroused by the act alone. It does not show them being sexually attracted to the participants of that act. Otherwise, they would be chimpanzee-sexual as well, since they show arousal by chimp sex, too. 'Nuff said.

Why Most Women Are Not Bisexual

There are guys who obsess about this daily. Some are excited at the thought of all women being bi, others are very insecure in their manhood, and worry about the opposite sex finding them attractive.They watch too much tv, and too much porn, and don't get out and socialize with actual women.

The internet is generally a liberal and progressive place, especially sites such as this one -- plus we skew younger. And bisexuals generally flock more to the sex topics.

In reality, women are hardwired to be sexually attracted to masculine features and attributes, so the idea of most (or a good percentage) of women being bi falls on its face. Many young women (especially the hypersexual ones) are brainwashed by the popular culture to think they are bi, and that it's even the "default".

Are there bisexual women? Yes. But it's not most, and it's not even a high percentage. The cultural factors I just mentioned shape our perception of reality.

2932

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an odd social phenomenon...

I think bisexuality is a lot more socially acceptable for women than men, and as you said it's even sometimes viewed as an attractive quality by men.

Therefore, I think a lot of women adopt the label as a social statement. On this site you get 13 year-olds claiming that they're bisexual. I've had a conversation with a young lady, and she eventually admitted that even though she was bisexual, she hadn't experienced sexual attraction yet. Okay, whatever, I guess it's mostly just a fashion statement.

• Yep just a trend.

People always want attention. Notice how its always the youth 12-25 going through the usual self-identity crisis and wanting to belong.

• @bente2

By definition, you have to feel sexual attraction to be bisexual. Can prepubescent kids feel sexual attraction? I don't think so.

I think it's funny that you'd say something like that. You think it's any better being a heterosexual male in this day and age? Now that most women are either fatasses or whores... Utterly worthless. You're just lucky men are desperate enough to be with you wenches. Stupid biology.

• I know what i’m worth and I don’t have any trouble finding a guy... seems like not being able to find a partner might just be a “you” problem.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 28

• What they don't seem to understand is that simply finding another woman beautiful, or being aroused by sex acts in porn, does not mean you want to have sex with other women, or have relationships with them. To be a bisexual or lesbian woman, you must desire actual sex with actual women, at the very minimum.

@Markfish?

• A girl getting turned on my another girl in porn means she would want to have sex with her if the chance was there. So simple answer, she a lezbian or a bi

• @Markfish Wait, I thought this was voluntary.. they just picked a random 500 girls and made them watch porn, then checked to see if they were sexually stimulated? Please tell me this isn't right, because that sounds sick.

Also, how do you know that your knowledge is correct? What makes you think that most women watch porn? And not just women our age, because that is only a ten-year span. That's not even close to the majority of women.

• Just because they were sexually stimiulated doesn't mean they were intellectually stimulated.. hell I'm sure plenty of rape victims were 'stimulated'. Also about the child porn thing... yes it is totally possible they aren't a pedphil.. especially if how they watch it is putting themself in the position of the reciever of the 'goods'.. in which case they are simply imagining a scenario that did not occur in their past experiences...

• Thank you so much for this!
    It's getting sickening seeing men insist women are all bisexual. There's nothing wrong with being bi sexual it's just not the "norm" for every freaking woman.
    As I'm not a male, I can't say for sure but the one point I might disagree with is that a lot of men do want the bisexual chick. One of the top male fantasies has got to be girl on girl... that's just based on guys I've had conversations with though. Of course not ALL men want that but I'd guess a majority.

Thanks for the take! 😊

• Yeah, actually if you seriously sit down and talk to men, there are many that would not want anything to do with a bi women, as many women wouldn't want to be with a bi man.

Of course, young idiot guys get instantly turned on, and encourage this kind of feigning in clubs and gatherings.

• @ManOnFire I think what you mean is that you hate brainwashed straight women. Not actual bisexuals. I don't hate anyone, but what I do hate is our idiotic culture.

• @ericclayton Yeah I think that's fair.

• Thank you for taking clarifying this to all the heterophobic people who keep calling everything and everyone gay.

*Heterophobia:

The fear of heterosexuality.

(Often in strongly liberated areas where being heterosexual is taboo and unreasonable, due to being opposite of homosexuality.)

Lol no lie, some people are horrified at the idea that someone, especially womwn can be 100% straight. They feel it is "oppressive" for women to like only men and must secretly all ne gay.

*Science looks for biological proof of homosexuality and has conclusive studies.

-A bisexual or lesbian's brain was found to have changes on parts of the synapses that made her have sensations of love and adoration for women, just as a man did.

A heterosexual female brain does not have these synapses.

So for lack of the biological element, its impossible to love and adore another woman romantically.

If you never have the gene for blue eyes, how can you claim to have blue eyes? Especially when yours are brown.

If homosexuality is biological, this means heterosexuality is biological.

If gays are "born that way," how in the hell can one say heterosexuals are not?

Somr dude on here was like:

WOMAN HAVE MORE GREY BRAIN MATTER WHICH MAKES THEM ALL BISEXUAL

Strang because the heterosexual female brain and bisexual / lesbian brain in the study were both women, having the same grey matter amount.

Yet the homosexual brain showed differences.

-------

I know, heterosexuality is just so scary for being a normalized thing compared to the bright, flamboyancy of homosexuality.

You get more attention and people assume you are cooler for being gay because you're fighting "the man" and its trending right now.

But seriously, no one liked it when homophobes told gays they were really straight: no one likes being force fed that we are gay for your lack of basic logic.

Its a form of hate based on someones sexuality.

My coworker was legit shunned by her LGBT club when she started dating a guy being bisexual. The even asked her, "girls not good enough for you?"

Wow. Fuck that lady.

• What people say it's oppressive to be straight?

• Heterophobia isn't real...

• Lmao cry me a river, heterosexuality is accepted everywhere you go, you don’t get disowned, denied services, killed, or bullied for being straight. Stop trying to be a victim, heterophobia doesn’t exist.

• I agree and disagree at the same time. I think you’re onto something but there are more elements involved. I come from the school of thought in which all people are inherently bisexual, we lay somewhere on a spectrum, at certain levels we identify as gay, straight or bisexual but none of us have a “pure” sexuality. Biologically this exists for two reason, for humans sex is primarily social and humans have a very complex concept of identity. Similar to our closest relatives the Bonobo, we have sex for pleasure, fun, mainly social reasons. It’s much more effective as a social mechanism if we are able to have sex with two genders, not just one. More importantly as humans are such complex beings, pure sexuality cannot exist. Women and men do have levels of feminity and masculinity within themselves, along with varying sexual interests. We will never fit into the simple roles that biology has outlined for us, because we are individuals and our experience revolves around who we are not what we are. Saying that I think society has done a great job of manipulating sexuality, women are congratulated for being bi, straight men are suppressing any element of homosexuality they made exhibit.

• For some, it's a trend, for others, it's just recognizing that sexual attractions is equal toward men and women for that one person. I don't care to label myself, but people would consider me bi. I prefer ladies. I am rarely attracted to men, but if a guy comes along that is super attractive on the indies, then i MIGHT give it a chance... maybe.
    Labels are stupid.

• It's twofold. I think some men actively promote this stereotype because they find it hot, others because they want to shoehorn women into some kind of sexual box because they have no clue how to figure them out. It all has to do with a skewed view of female sexuality.

• I'd say 50% of girls in clubs are Lipstick Lesbians for sure...

• Statements like that is a major reason this myth propagates.

• Yeah, definitely means something else in other parts. A lipstick lesbian means a femme lesbian who's attracted to other femme lesbians.

• @chronicsingletitis yeah I've heard that definition too...

• Some (minority by far) women have a curiosity period about other women and may or may not go through with it on a sexual level but that dont make most of them bi-sexual. Some are yes. They know themselves where they stand. Most like myself get the yuk outs get out da here by the talk about kissing another woman lol

• Love this!! Well done.
    I don’t think most women are bisexual. I think more people whether it’s guys or girls are more open to different experiences. Different fantasies etc. Especially since books/films like fifty shades has come out, it’s made the taboo not so bad.
    I think people are more willing to say, kiss a girl to see what it’s like- this is then being classed as bi if she likes it. That’s not always the case. These days things are labelled and blown out of context

• Men are crazy
    I’m bi but that doesn’t mean every women is.

• Girls are there to go shopping with and tell your weirdest secrets to and mabe drink too much with. Not lick each others vaginas. I know you get strap ons. But thats fake

• Goodness! It's about time! We don't all like women...

• Culture can brainwash you
    But thay can go in both ways
    Like for me it s more being brain washed thay I should only be attracted to man etc...
    I ve come to terms now that I am bisexual cause I am capable of developping romantic and sexual feelings to both genders and it is genuine. Like I can see myself being with bith if society doesn t force me to behave a certain way since I live in an middle eastern society where people aren t open to it moreover homosexuality is even illegal.
    For me gender is irrelevant cause I don t think you should have a set of characteristics based on your gender, most people have a fluctuation of masculine and feminine traits in them anw (by stereotypes )

• I feel your struggle and totally agree with you.
      I live in Lebanon and people are so close minded :-(
      Not to mention Racism and Discrimination and Sexism !!!

• Unless women submit themselves to loser men and women start doing what men wanted them to do, they will forever bark about it.

She rejected me and went out with that dude, she is a friendzoning gold digging bitch. She's a non-virgin so I internally cursed her the entire time I was in bed with her (as if every woman is supposed to save her virginity for HIM when he clearly didn't do the same, what a hypocrite). I'll put no effort on my own looks but when one girl compliments another on her getup, she is bisexual. I'll do whatever I want in bed and if she doesn't enjoy it then she's bisexual.

Boo.

• Grosssss lmao

• finally!! a guy that understands XD

• Most women are aroused by lesbian porn yet erroneously think they are straight.

• @MlleCake

If you're not attracted to the same sex, you'd think their body would be unappealing to see nude as far as sex with another of the same sex. The reasons of women not desiting sex for each other despite likining lesbian porn, sounds pretty arbitrary. Like they don't want sex with women just because they don't desire women or have interest and their preferece is to men. So not enough or nothing that would push them to feel the need to try something with a woman. It can't be, because having sex with a woman would be gross. That wouldn't make sense, because the reason same sex is gross to a straight person is because of the physicla and visual. The body parts and stuff are not appealing to your eyes, but if that's the case, seeing that on a porn clip should be unappealing.

• Then people who are aroused by child porn aren't pedophiles. "Otherwise we're also all into bestiality too, if you're going by the study." The response to monkeys was the lowest measurable amount, about 200 fold less arousing to lesbian porn to women. Even the control of snow falling got an arousal rating so... what is more accurate to say? We are aroused by everything? Or the lower levels on the graph aren't actually arousal? @MlleCake

• Yes they are. I'm not though.

• Good take.

• What does it matter if same sexes experiment?

• good

• More from Girls
    8

What Guys Said 31

• Preach it! I am NOT a fan of all this new age bi stuff, and ya know what? I've actually had some guys call ME gay because I'm not into it. Wtf?

All this stuff is is a way to brainwash today's young women into believing they're more "sexually fluid" than men, and they are not. And don't get me started on that other stuff - "pansexuals." *rolls eyes*

• Yep, it's critical that you don't let the media mindrape you.

• Well said. What I dont understand is the mentality of, "being more like a man makes you more of a woman."

Since when is having a fluid sexuality make you more feminine? MEN like women. If you like women, its a masculine quality, just as a man liking a man is feminine.

How does it make me more appealing as a woman to adopt so many masculine traits lol?

And when are men only defined by their sexual protagonism?

• @dancing_in_nebulas Agree completely.

• I totally agree with @MlleCake , @PrettyKitty31 , @SarahsSummer , @archiz
    Thank you for those nice opinions. you saved me from typing a lot :-P
    Thank you my friend @ericclayton for this post.
    I guess all i needed to say have been already said from the post or opinions.

Cheers!!!

• I don’t think every woman is bisexual or lesbian but I do think that liberal places like Los Angeles California, New York City etc tend to attract a lot of bisexual women which gives the impression to some of those that live in those places that “all women are bisexual”. As someone who has some libertarian views and is from Los Angeles California, I notice that many millennial generation women identify as bisexual or are in the process of questioning their sexual orientation. But I know that if I move to a more traditionalist state like Texas, I’ll find a lot of women that are 100% straight.

I guess the real reason why this trend of believing all women are bisexual won’t end is due to the fact that many bisexual women are still in closet, so that raises the suspicions of the guys that worry about this. I read another take by a anonymous bisexual woman in which she said that she will never come out of the closet.

By the way, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with bisexuals.

• Most women are bisexual, what they say is irrelevent, as they still make out with chicks and masturbate to lesbian porn when they think they are straight.

• Mytake owner! tell me how women who are aroused by lesbian porn are straight! Why women who masturbate to lesbian porn ARE NOT STRAIGHT! ↗ even scientists say are women are bisexual on the basis That women are aroused by naked women and lesbian porn indiana.edu/.../Chivers_Seto_Blanchard_2007.pdf read that and read Dr Reigers (university of Essex) work, he flat out says "women are either bisexual or lesbian but never straight".

• Exactly, as you can't bring points to prove me wrong, I am right, and you know it. If I was wrong you could tell me why right? But I am not wrong.

• Hahahahaha, tell me how I am wrong! You can't.

• I think girl on girl is hot as fuck, but I don't kid myself that all or most women are bisexual.

I think women are less averse than men to playing up the same sex appeal, and even to putting on a show for men, but again, this doesn't make them bisexual.

• Thank you.

• @MlleCake

But straight men aren't though and gay men don't like lesbian porn because the bodies in it are too much of distractor I'd think. If a person finds body parts unappealing, even if the enjoyment is about sex acts and good sex, like you can ignore the unpleasant view on the screen. Like the anaology of the fat hairy ugly man having sex with said fat ugly woman. Many people can't ignore that visual to get to the supposed good sex. Shouldn't it be like that watching same sex if you're straight? Like don't you to some degree have to have some attraction to same sex bodies to find it pleasing to watch and not bothered and aroused by the same sex acts. Don't women visually kind of have to like tits and women's face if seeing said woman's face sucking tits? Same with pussy eating? Gay men don't want to see close up of woman's mouth to another woman's pussy because they aren't attracted to said parts and would be boring, gross or unappealing, not a turn on for sure

• If you're truly straight, shouldn't you be strict visuall for the sex you're attracted to? You are attracted to opposite sex, you want to see it and can only deal with same sex in porn as a prop to imagine you fucking opposite sex. I think that's why men are seen as more polar in their sexuality and why women have been labeled as their sexuality more "fluid", which suggests not as concrete to straight or gay, which can mean a little bi to some degree and women falling somewhere on the spectrum but not as likely on the far ends like for men

• Failed attempt to white knight. Most women ARE bisexual. Facts 💯

• There's so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. But you do you, bro.

• The only thing wrong is your ass kissing take. That's about it. Later ✌️

• I'm no expert on this topic, but my layman's assumption is that a woman's sexuality may sometimes be a spectrum rather than binary or trenary, and I guess everyone has their own definition of what makes someone gay or bisexual.

• I think that it's just normal that most women aren't bisexual.
    The reason is just the same as most men aren't bisexual or
    something like that.
    When for 100 years every thing on earth was gay, there wouldn't be any life left.
    Except for (in my opinion) disgusting artificial pregnentation...

• I would say that I can agree that most women are not bisexual because I really have not seen the stats. However, who you claim stats are coming from, the "horny old men", and I'd like to know the source of this. I do agree these studies were widely dusky get, but not because they are old men, but it's a known fact that there are a lot of half-assed studies that are only put out to garner more research money to study other things.

But, yes, women are no more generally bi than men, I'm sure.

• The "horny old men" quip was a liberty I took. I stand by everything else, however.

• Informative, people do things for a lot of reasons, probably half of those reasons are erroneous. Bisexuality is probably the same.

• What amazes me is that the one writing this post acts as if bisexuality 'should' be the norm, as if its bad not to be bisexual. lol

• Only the stupids on here think most women are bisexual

• " the studies are done by 'horny' old men"
    Seems like a useless statement, without any proof.

• I thought the same lol, they are studies done by actual scientists or doctors, but were overexaggerated by heterophobic gays or men.

www.thecut.com/.../...re-a-little-gay-lesbian.html

"Why didn't the title say," All women are a little into monkeys?"

Heterosexual women showed arousal to monkey sex and same arousal to men to men sex, men to women sex etc.

The "horny old men" lol just grabbed one part on bias - which is horridly fallacious logically and scientifically.

• The response to monkeys was the lowest measurable amount, about 200 fold less arousing to lesbian porn to women. Even the control of snow falling got an arousal rating so... what is more accurate to say? We are aroused by everything? Or the lower levels on the graph aren't actually arousal?

• Why females are not Bi?
    (short answer) Females are not as stupid as I sometimes like to think.

• Interesting myTake

• I think everyone is born straight.

• Someone wants to be someone else

• Bi people aren't picky. Just greedy.

• There's no reason to ruin my porn fantasies.

• Not a bad article , pretty good take there

• More from Guys
    11