Fifty Shades of Grey Was Mostly About One Thing - Women's Sexual Repression

The Fifty Shades phenomenon has baffled many people since the book first starting selling like a wildfire in 2011. Many men especially, are confused by it. Why do women seem to like this story so much? In the era of # me too, and the fight over greater equality on a social scale, why is it that women fantasize about a vapid rich jerk, who emotionally manipulates them and sadistically dominates them in the bedroom?

He then whipped out his
He then whipped out his "hellacious... cock?"

I believe the biggest factor in all of this, is the one that is most often overlooked - women's sexual repression in our current society. For so long, men have had more freedom to be open about their sexual interests, to be regarded with praise for their sexual endeavors, and to gloat about their borderline addiction to Internet porn use. Women on the other hand, have always been expected to remain proper, polite, and squeaky clean, or face societal backlash and be labeled.

I think this all came to a head with Fifty Shades. It was the first mainstreamed, cultural push of a product that was aimed explicitly at women, and was also overtly sexual in nature. It created something of a bandwagon effect. Many, many women latched onto the books not because it was the most riveting tale they're ever heard of, but as a way of saying "Yeah, I'm interested in sexual stuff. Don't judge me, all of these other women are too".

Personally I think it's trash. I only went to see the movie because ya know,
Personally I think it's trash. I only went to see the movie because ya know, "all my friends were going".

It wouldn't have mattered what the story was about exactly, or how it was written. All that mattered was that it was a sexy book that all women were "allowed to be" intrigued by. It just so happens that the story was a poor blend of the Beauty and The Beast trope, mixed with porn-inspired ideas of what S&M relationships were like. Nobody was particularly thrilled with it, but more so the idea of going to see a smutty film with their girlfriends so that hopefully their man would start to raise an eyebrow.

You'll notice that most women, even those who've read the books and watched the movies will admit that the writing is bad, the story is stupid, the characters are dreadful... but they're still supporting the material, purchasing movie tickets and buying books. Not because it's good stuff, but because that's what they feel like they should be doing to send across the message that they just like any man, can be interested in trashy, sexual things as well.

Beautiful.... such romance, such passion!

It's not as though most women actually even endorse the series. Just because they supported it, doesn't mean it's actually their own fantasy. It's more-so an exploration into openly having their own sexual fantasies. However, I think a lot of this has gotten lost in translation. Many men are taking it to mean that women more than ever don't know what they actually want. Thinking that they may say they want to be treated with dignity, but really they want to be treated like trash. I don't think that's accurate.

I think a lot of women simply jumped on this Fifty Shades bandwagon to be part of the collective message that says "women are into sex too, and you men just don't understand us". I just wish that it could have been a better piece of literature for a jumping off place. I actually think Fifty Shades has done more damage than it has helped, in any regard.

Aha!! Women DO want to be treated like sub-human sex slaves! Porn was right all along!!!

In closing, I think the Fifty Shades was an unfortunate novel, that came around at a particularly troubled period in history, only further confusing women's sexually repressed state in society. Sending mixed messages and poor representations of what women want in terms of sex, the ethics of S&M play, and what a glamorous or ideal relationship looks like. It's all a big mess, and I think people often misunderstand what it all means. That's my opinion, anyway.

1749

Most Helpful Guys

• I know you said you read the books but it sounds like you haven't read them at all.

I've read the entire series THREE TIMES

First off men of the world have nothing to do with this or gender politics. In fact what made this book so popular is the opposite. I'll explain later.

People make the mistake of thinking this is a SEX book believe it or not it is NOT a sex book, if you count the actual number of pages in the first book that are actual sex it is somewhere around 30 pages.

Again this isn't a sex book this is a ROMANCE novel. If you don't know it the book is admittedly... by the authors own admission... a fan fiction piece based on TWILIGHT.

The reason everyone thinks this is a sex book is because it is the most unique feature of the book. And I'll get into the story's frame work soon.

People accuse the author of being a bad writer... she isn't. But what she is bad at is prose. There is a big difference between using poor descriptive words and writing a good story.

EL James wrote and intensely focused novel. Not one word is wasted in propelling the story of the characters in the story (<= bad prose). And this novel was born out of the "30 day challenge" or whatever it is called... a writers challenge to write a certain number of words within a certain time frame. James actually received a lot of support in the revision history of the book and released it as a "little ebook" and it exploded.

This book isn't popular as some sort of rebellion of the repression of women sexually... at least not by men. It is appealing to NON political women, it struck a never and resonated with women because it appealed to something in them that they were previously not allowed to like namely... being dominated.

Twilight and 50 Shades have the same outline... an all powerful man. More powerful than any other man in the world. A man who is wanted by ALL women who he is not at all attracted to. This all powerful man only has eyes for the heroine of the story (Bella/Anastasia). Not only that Anastasia throws this all powerful man (Christain) off his game. His always very well in control of his world but not when it comes to her. Despite his best efforts he loses his internal battle to resit her. The key to this story is their "emotional entanglement." Neither of them know exactly where they stand with each other and it is the emotional journey they go through discovering who they are and how to navigate their relationship.

One major thing is that Christian is very powerful and very dominating but his actions the things he does frustrates the hell out of both of them... especially her "defiance" of him and his struggle to gain control. But what is never lost is that his intentions however frustrating or conflicting are all based in his desire for her uniqueness and his wanting to possess and protect her. It is exactly he ability to NOT be able to dominate her that makes her want her more.

Every move he makes to take control is taken with much effort and every bit of control/power/dominance he fights for and Gaines... she ultimately wants him to have.

When push comes to shove she is in control... but so it he and it is the meeting in the middle that brings them together.

But the one place she doesn't want to be in control is in the bedroom. Submissive men are a massive turn off to most women and a dominant man is a massive turn on... IF his heart is in the right place... and if she knows this deep down.

People act like it is a crime to dominate or be dominated... it isn't... only if control is take without consent.

If you've ever been with a girl who likes to be dominated you will know how turned on and slick she gets when you take real control. I've had girls demand that I dominate them choke them, slap them and fuck them hard and when you reach down and feel how turned on she is there is nothing political about her excitement.

The story wasn't popular because it was fight sexual repression. The only sexual repression is was...

• fighting was the right to feel great pleasure in being aggressively dominated by a man. A book... and E book was the perfect way to read a 'naughty' book with no one knowing what the reader was reading. I was popular not because the book was pubic... it was/is popular because it is private. Literature is the female equivalent of porn.

One thing... especially younger guys don't know... is female sexuality... strong female sexuality doesn't take place in the body... it takes place in the mind. One thing people who don't know about BDSM relationships is that it is mainly psychological... yes psychological... it isn't the physical actions that drive the pleasurable experience... it is the psychology behind the "roleplaying" There "props" are catalysts for the role playing (its not always true but mostly true). The talking is what makes it so powerful. That is why safe words exist, because the more real the dialogue the better the experience, so the protests of the sub need to "feel" real without actually being real. Without the realistic words in role play, a large part of the psychological experience would die.

Christian would never actually knowingly ever hurt Ana physically and especially psychologically.

Get this straight... many if not most women love to be dominated or lead in bed... if not anywhere else.

A man taking his pleasure from a girl is her pleasure and in turn is her pleasure is his pleasure. Dominant sexual relationships don't work if there is a genuine loser. In the BDSM world everyone knows the person ultimately in charge is the sumissive. The submissive grants the dominant power and that power is revokable at any time. I've never been in to BDSM or the lifestyle but that community trusted me to let me see into their world.

And of the things that surprised me is that everyone in the BDSM world is extremely respectful of each other. And when you think about it they have to be, because they are taking each other to the edge... where nirvana is for..

• The opinion whether the story is actually appealing to women, or not is debatable. The brunt of women who comment on it (who have read it) said it was not good. It gets more flack than almost any story I can think of. Like some of the others, I think you read a little too far into what my take said. I didn't try to suggest it was political, or men oppressing women. But more so an outlet for them to express sexual interests. That it's a safe bet since it's become something "all women should" be interested in, few feel inhibited to use it as a jumping off point. But I still don't think the majority of them actually think it's a good story.

• So you think the book is a best seller for months and month and all three were best sellers despite its it being a bad story? I fully disagree that the brunt of women think it is a bad story. Just because the story polarizes opinions doesn't mean it is thought of as bad by the majority. People don't line up to buy book 2 and three if the story isn't good. How is a story both appealing bad. Just be being a runaway best seller proves it is a good story... it is undoubtedly NOT the first BDSM book. So its "mass appeal" is proof that it is better than all the BDSM stories that came before it. Especially because it rocketed up the charts after being released as a little under the radar ebook. Yes it is an outlet to express sexual interest but it wouldn't sell like crazy if it was a bad story. And I equate its appeal to being a good story... good enough to read... good enough to read two more books. Twilight gets ragged on too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How do you calculate the numbers of love vs. the hate for the story?

• You have missed a whole collection of older literature. 50 Shades is certainly not the first, not even the latest, it just was a very popular one. Further Mr Grey was more of a stalker then anything else. As far as women's repressed sexuality women are not sexually repressed. Men are, but women are not. The so called double standard or a virgin woman vs a virgin man is based on the very old notion that men are inherently dirty while women inherently clean. Hence a virgin guy is disgusting and a virgin girl is something to be sought as she cleanses him while he pullouts her. it's the same standard only from two different perspectives.

• Again, didn't say it was the first. Said it was the first to go as mainstream as it did. And again... repressed means you hold back from your own desires. I get tired of having to explain what I actually wrote versus what people somehow take away.

• How do you manage to turn this all into some I'm a male, woe-is-me rant?

• No, I just pointed out the fallacies of your argument. I also anticipated some of your objections and countered them. There is no bad guy good guy thing here, it's just your initial argument is factually incorrect.

Most Helpful Girls

• Women like it because the dude is rich and hot. Let him have been a poor average dude and everyone of them would realize what a rapist asshole he is, instead of "omg I want him to fuck me so bad". It has nothing to do with women's sexuality. It has to do with them being shallow

• I agree completely.

If you see the demographics of women who read this trash fiction, it's mostly:
    - middle-aged women who are probably tired of their mundane sex life, or nonexistent sex life if they're single or divorced. This shows that they are not satisfied with their sex lives
    - young women from countries where it is not normal for women to desire sex. So they read this book to fulfil their curiosity, and to entice their imagination without seeming "like a dirty whore"
    - people who are NOT avid readers. I've never heard an avid reader praise this book. That's because avid readers have standards regarding good literature. People who don't read treat this like YouTube porn, at face value and they have no comparison, nothing to make them cringe. Whereas avid readers can't stand how badly this Shit is written. I mean, even the sex scenes are horrible. I've read better sex scenes that actually made me wet from books written by Kathy Reichs and Robin Cook, a crime author and a medical thriller author. 50 shades didn't make me wet, it gave me a headache from rolling my eyes too much.

• It’s odd that a women can be unsatified in life and it not be her fault.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 47

• Well, your wrong. First and foremost where did you get this idea that men where more sexually free? You kind of have to prove that point. That's like me saying that humans overcame Neanderthals because we tamed dinosaurs and it gave us an advantage. Yeah I can claim that, but I have no evidence to back it (and substantial evidence against it). So when you make an assertion you have to be able to actually prove it which you cannot do (because its not true). SO right from the get go your argument is wrong because the foundation of it is flawed. It also ignores the long history of these types of novels in history (Story of O (1954, author female)) and erotic novels in general (9 1/2 weeks (1970s, also female author)). So already we can say this did not come out of nowhere, these things have been around for quite some time, written by women themselves which also means that they where not "suppressed" sexually, well at least not by an overbearing society, no more then the men where anyway. So again, your premise is entirely false, provably so. Any conclusion you draw now is entirely wrong because again, your starting premises are entirely wrong. This also ignores the history of the vibrator which was invented because they believed sexual repression caused physical symptoms (hysteria) so they created this device to help deal with that meaning that society was rather open to female sexuality (and has been for all of history). Just because they expected it to be within the confines of a relationship didn't mean that they didn't think it shouldn't exist or didn't exist (which is really rather sexist of you (not suprising, we live in an age that demonizes male sexuality at every turn and masculinity in general).

• Just the fact that even today, women's sexual promiscuity is judged in a much more negative light where men's is not, is proof they are not equally free.

Nowhere in this did I say it was the first book of it's kind. I said it was the first to receive such a mainstream exposure and widespread adoption. An all-time best seller book series that was turned into three top grossing films. Did that happen with other erotic novels for women before?

Again, I have to keep telling those who can't read, "repressed" means something different than what you seem to think it means - it means willfully holding back. Also I'm talking about the masses, not the author, or any one person. I'm talking about the wider population being repressed, sexually.

Sorry for the butt hurt, that really wasn't the intention of this take.

• Oh lord. No I am not a feminist. No I am not opposed to dom/sub sex. No I do not “demonize” masculinity. You either cannot read, or your so incescure you can’t comprehend. You are the one getting preachy about this. I don’t know how many times you said the word “biology” but it seems pretty important to your particular world view. Like you clearly don’t get the point of my take but it clearly struck a nerve of insecurity in you.

• Sounds like something an insecure person who got caught would say. I don't give a damn personally, as I said the only issue I have is that your argument is based upon a false premise, it uses assumptions instead of facts, ignores the long history of this stuff, ignores the data while trying to act as if women are oppressed (sexually) even though all evidence shows the exact opposite is true. Also yeah, your a feminist, clearly. If your proclaiming right from the start that women are oppressed and men are not, your a feminist. If your proclaiming this while also suggesting that I am to fixated on "biology"(which, yeah biology does factor in here, unless your suggesting over a century of research on hormones affects on behavior, neurology are all wrong and that our DNA has no impact on us despite one strand being about 2 meters long in length but its for absolutely no reason? Seems like an odd claim to make in my opinion). But regardless, if your insecure about it that's on you, your sex life (or lack their of) has no impact on me. You wanting something but feeling guilty for it also has no baring on me. You wanting something because of a skewed perception of male sexuality, also has no impact on me. Basically I don't actually care, I was just pointing out why your argument itself was wrong.

• It was a really dumb movie. (I never read the books)
    The writers were stupid to make Christian Grey a billionaire.
    Shit, I'd be his bitch if he asked me. lol

• Selama saya tua, selagi saya tahu saya tidak tahu apa.

Okay. I really don't know Indonesian beyond a few simple words.

But what I wanted to say was "The older I get, the more I realize I know nothing."

Keep on learning, English.
    It's a very funny language, but, like Mandarin or Spanish, I feel that it's one of the best placed languages to open up a world of possibilities for you or anyone else who attempts to learn it.

• "For so long, men have had more freedom to be open about their sexual interests, to be regarded with praise for their sexual endeavors, and to gloat about their borderline addiction to Internet porn use. Women on the other hand, have always been expected to remain proper, polite, and squeaky clean, or face societal backlash and be labeled."
    That's the biggest bullshit I have read in a while. For one, "so long" and "internet porn"? Internet porn became a thing in the last what? 20 years?
    Secondly, guys regularly encourage women to talk about

• Fucking mobile page jumping al over the place, I actuallz hit submit.

Anyway, men regularly encourage women to talk about their sexual desires, what porn they watch, etc, because that's really interesting to us. We like to know more about you. Instead whenever I meet a girl I have to pry the information out of her like it's a national secret.

I won't read the article.

The reason women were so interested in 50 shades of grey is simple - it combines the matinf strategy if women with the most common sexuak fantasy of women:
      Hypergamy and Rape Fantasy. In fact this could be the title of the books.

The reason it manifested itself now is also self-evident - women have been encouraged to go against their natural instinct (by and large, I am not saying this is true fir everyone), and to be competitive rather than being submissive and seeking a dominant man. Examining the BDSM community turbs out roughly 76% of women are submissive, the rest is switch, and only like 3-4% are doms, as opposed to men, where the vast majority are dominants (60% or so, I don't remember exactly).

The reason BDSM resonates with many women is exactly because they are longing on some level to traditional relationship models, but don't want to give up their hypergamous options to compete with men and get better and better mates - so they turn traditonal roles into a fetish, which makes it guilt free. Sort of like diet coke - you know it's bad for you, but you don't feek guilty.
      But admitting to liking BDSM is hard - people face social stigma for sexuak deviancy.
      And 50 shades offered an entry into the world of BDSM, even if it was horrible as such - basically the main character broke every rule of BDSM.

• Lol, I don't know who Karen is. But I knew saying mansplain would do the trick.

• If by "trick" you mean making yourself look like fool, certainly.

• Um, no. 50 Shades was supremely successful for one simple reason - women have a natural instinctive desire to get aggressively dominated by men. They fetishize mistreatment and pain, and that's really the only underlying principle behind the book's huge success.

• 50 Shades Of Shite is about making money. It is pure literary tripe and one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Im a v exp bdsm player and this bollox makes a mockery of it. If you wanna see something closer to sub/dom life then watch The Secretary starring Maggie Gyllenhall n James Spader. Made in early 00s so before 50 Shades Of Shite. Its funny how Spader's character is... Mr Grey.

• The whole gender equality in some communities has gone radical extreme and sometimes it doesn't reflect actual society status on this topic from statistical and scientific point of view.

I willing to assume that me and likely most any disagreeing male who tries to write here on this topic, probably will be met with distrust and even disdain under current circumstances, so I'll just say two things:

1. Gender hormone and physical differences are significant enough to create specific gender related temperamental differences that results in gender social inclination differences. This all resonates well in why "Fifty Shades" was so popular.

2. We humans are constantly (!) under effects various cognitive bias, and one of them that is naturally hard to deal with is Confirmation Bias... So if you really care for truth, you will have learn more about it.

It's psychology related, and psychology field is dominated by women, so you shouldn't have trust issues with that. :)

Best regards for you.

• It all boils down to one thing:
    If he hand't been rich, 50 Shades would have been an episode on CSI.

• Horse shit!
    Women have since at least the 70’s been sexually empowered, even more so than men.
    A female can go to a strip club (where women actually suck off the strippers) and it isn’t shamed or ridiculed. It’s seen as “girls having fun”.

Women talk in the media openly about sex and orgasm, without shame or labels.

Women can buy sex toys without shame. They even have sex toy parties.

Men are considered sick perverts for having male sex toys, going to strippers, having sexual fantasy, talking about sex, etc.

So this book was NOT some break out idea of female sexual power... it was just one more type of female smut glorified and accepted by women and the media, which glorified the most popular female fantasy (the rape fantasy).

• Gonna be honest didn't read half of that but i would like to say, just in case you didn't mention this but in the book i would actaully say it is mostly about the guy as well and his problems.

Where as the film yeah i would agree just mostly about the woman.

• It came to fruition with the advent of birth control. now you can fuck and not get pregnant. Biology more so oppressed you than men. 50 shades of grey just capitalized on it. There ffa sex and the city was well before 50 shades.

• No, it wasn't.

That book sold because women bought it.
    Why did women buy it?
    Because a lot of women - A LOT OF WOMEN - rape / submission fantasies.

• Women had been pushing against sexual repression for many years before 50 Shades came out. Men generally respect sexually liberated women. Any repression that's happening is because of women being shitty to each other. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but the reality is that 90% of women's lib boils down to the way women treat each other.

• Hey uh, why can't a weird book just be a weird book? Why must we politicise every god damn thing we see, hear or think of. Sucking out and destroying any capacity to just simply enjoy things. Super weird or not.

• I don't agree that women have been sexual repressed and men have had more freedom to be open about their sexual interests. What's your evidence for that? I think it's easy to see men being more vocal about sex, but that's not the same thing.

Additionally I think the slaves of the book was more down to the privacy of a digital download. People (or those more Shy about getting caught with porn) could download it without anyone knowing

• I don't normally like to comment on a book I haven't read, but if you're looking for social commentary in Fifty Shades of Grey I think you're on the wrong page. Anecdotally it's a wankfest for middle aged ladies whose husbands can't get it up any more.

• If only the book was actually a good smut, where there were MANY smut novels beforehand with female protagonists. If only it didn't get popular over the fact it was a twilight cult following for women with serious issues to marvel at as the "sexual minority"

It's a really bad book, and I find it strange anyone would read it unironicly.

• If this is the case why this though, there have always been "romance novels" that were actually filthy reads aimed at women why all decide to jump on this shitshow of a bandwagon that seems to go against all current trends in sexual liberation.

• I don't think it's about womens' sexual "repression" I think it's about womens' sexual *frustration*.

Women take too long to cum. Is that mens' fault?

• Well I didn’t say that any of this was men’s fault. If that’s what you got from my take then you’ve read it wrong.

• Of course you said it was mens' fault. You said that women are repressed. That means someone is repressing them. Who is that? Other women? No? If not other women than who is left?

• You do realise that it was a Twilight Fan fiction that picked up steam and then the story was altered so it would sell right? Where is the argument about Twilight being about repression (rather than just shit)

• Women want to be dominated and loved when alone with men..
    But treated respectfully and loved in public in front of others..

Not applicable on every women..
    But applicable on most
    .

• its simple because that "vapid rich jerk" has looks, money and status. the three things that women are sexually attracted to.

• It is simply not true that it was the first book to discuss female arousal. Similar literature to the series has been written for decades. Amazon. com has many such "bodice-rippers."

• We aren't addicted to porn men are more open cause we just don't care but women care about everything that is your issue

• But then if you want or do the things as the guy in the movie does, you're a stalker and a creep. What is there a double standard?

• Seriousily it gave women a chance to enjoy sexual fantasy. I like the smut answer. It was just plsin garbage.

• Its a perverted lifestyle. They wanted to push smut to the massess.
    They wanted to make this fantasy real. Thats all it is.

• No its not some type of womens sexual suffrage movement. It is so popular because being dominated by a guy that is vary successful atritive and has a lot of confidence is a major fantasy. Girls want to be treated with respect out side of the bed room when they don't it is just a game extending from the bed room. I am attracted to confident girls. I fantasize about being so desirable that a atractive conifident girl traps me and has her way with me. Unlike most girls I would be ok if it happened! That doesn't mean I won't her to run may life. I think girls are saying it isn't written well and they don't like it because there is a stigma against admitting you like that type of thing. My mom said the book was awful but kept reading the rest of the books lol I wish that the stigma would die because I am looking for a nice confident prity animal loving girl and I would love if she was in to kink. Both Dom and sub.

• And those millions, who liked 50 shades? That's because the dude is a ripped middle aged rich stalker, who is CEO of an electronics store and takes advantage of a college graduate Anastasia.

Replace him with a fellow college graduate, who just got into his first internship and all reader's vaginas turn dry like the deserts of Sahara in no longer than a second.

I think we got many women figured out.

But i still praise your efforts for your article.
    Now what's better than 50 shades of grey?

• In the BDSM community repression and servitude equal liberation. Sexually submissive people want to be that way because of the repression.

• How do you figure that?

• That is interesting, I've never consider that.

• Basically every BDSM information blog gives this as reasoning.

• Show more from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 15

• I have not read the book, or seen the film, it there is one.

I think the simple fact is that a lot of women are curious about being a submissive. I think it has always been that way. People used to "Invent" their own scenarios. These days, so much is readily available from the internet.

I do not think for one minute that women have ever been repressed, as they are the ones that have what most guys want. I just think they are fussy who they give it to!

• why are women curious about being submissive when most or many women are already generally submissive in bed? They already know what it's like or feels like to be submissive sexually without going the bdsm way. A person doesn't have to do bdsm stuff to be sexually submissve. Bdsm is just a different, maybe more extreme type of submission, depending on what it is

• Many women are often submissive in their relation to sex with their men though. Gender roles may play a big part too. But ok most or much of positions women have is men doing most of the work and on top and Rough sex, even though rough sex can mean both female and male dominant. It most often seems men are the ones dominant and in control with rough sex. So many women are in submissive roles in regular sex

• How to be submissive? Just be on the bottom most of the time or dude having rough sex with you. That’s subnission too. To not be in control and he’s on top and having him doing the fucking and getting pike drived, I say that’s submission and pretty male dominant ravaging

• Fifty Shades of Grey was purely about publishing and marketing a book (series). Soft core porn writing with a thread of romance appeals to quite a few women. Ever read a Harlequin romance novel? They’re cheap, cheesy, slightly smutty, with mediocre writing and editing. But they sell. Looking for any social meaning or undertone is a lot like looking for a jackelope or unicorn. Nothing there.

• I just think women prefer their porn in literature form, feels more sophisticated...

• Like with everything, illusion is important to women. Dress up a cheesy, badly written rape fantasy as a best seller, they will buy it. Put it on a site for adult short stories and novels, and they'll scoff at it.

• Not all wealthy meun are jerks, manipulative, or sadistic. you're way off and women aren't sexually repressed. there's more to the story than just sex. It goes over his own emotionally demons from his childhood;as a result, he treated women the way he felt. Stop being a prude. dig deeper

• That book is a fanfiction of Twilight. Badly written like Twilight and highly overrated. Don´t even let me get started with the movies. Some people don´t read or did only read these books and think they are good written or interesting, but it is actually so bad that not even a real good author would touch these books. They are so bad and not at all accurate.

• It's a fucking kink, you in turn are repressing someone's sexuality because sex is one of the most intimate forms of expression. Why should it be to your standards? This is a dumb post

• It was more about getting off to cheap smut with a poor storyline if you ask me.

• Ding ding ding! And we have a winner! 🏆 The popularity of this novel, election of Trump, and an increase of idiots believing every story they read on social media, just confirms the deterioration of society.

• Can't we just read a book or watch a movie just for the enjoyment of a bit of escapism.

• Fifty shades lf Gray is an abusive story so if women want that then they have problems.

• 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• I agree. People - especially dudes - took this too literally. Not everyone who liked it was even into s&m. Women just wanted to think long & hard about fucking without being judged.

• And it’s written at a low - therefore accessible - reading level.

• For the record, i think it’s hideously written, but greatness isn’t what sells books.

• It was really bad literature and very bad pornographic literature.
    It was stock full of stupid cliches. The rich strong powerful guy who is sooo emotionally wounded. He just falls head over heels for a poor average girl for no reason. Her important role is to save him... from... whatever, himself, the ghosts of his past, etc. Oh, and with all of the money around she is so modest and independent that she still wants to work for a stupid little salary and 401k. It even ends pathetically with her saving him this time financially. I really didn't get what it was trying to say. They should have just written a porn movie script and published it as a book.
    "Holy s**t" and "holy cow" were the neatest and most expressive words the author new, and apparently thought it was very cool.
    It just shows how shallow the audience is. That's the part that hurts.
    I read it exactly because everyone else did, and also because it was shoved down my throat everytime I tried to find a good book.

It's so sad. There used to be such amazing writers in the world. They touched the deepest corners of your mind and heart, amused and entertained, awed and inspired, they made you laugh and made you cry, ...

Now everything is just sex sex sex.
    Even the sex is a fake made-up lie😂. It proves neither the writers nor the readers have actually ever had sex in their lives, not to mention good sex.

• 50 shades of grey is for weak and submissive women, I never liked it.

• I think this book did given women a license to openly discuss sex...because...in a lot of their minds, this was about the book, not about themselves and what they like/think/feel about sex. A show like Sex in the City, however, was one that actually dealt with a lot of what women had been thinking/feeling/ experiencing in regards to sex and one of the revelations that came out of that show, was men watching and saying, we had no idea women felt this way or talked about sex like this or thought this or experienced this, when women were going, uh, yeah, duh?

Men historically have had more access to sex. A prime example is a man could and in some countries still can, legally have an affair, but a woman could not. They also had more access to sexual literature, books, movies, etc. because these things were thought improper for women or scandalous for women to partake in and not just by men, but women themselves. Even to this day, globally you will find laws that prohibit or severely limit women's access to sexual materials or information.

I wouldn't belie 50 Shades completely however, because for some women, this is their world, or it is a fantasy, or it has allowed them to say something in regards to their own sexuality, and if they enjoy that and were able to open up about it, then good for them. Everyone is entitled to take from it what they want and condemning a woman for responding to this in some way would essentially contribute to the problem of not allowing women to have a voice in regards to their sexuality.

• Someone already wrote about this 📖 book. Better than you.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

🤣