1 mo

What Happens To Your Body While You Are Having Sex

I'm sure this is a MyTake a lot of people will be interested in!

As the Hollywood cliche goes, post-coital, some of us sit back against the headboard proud of our accomplishment at gratifying our lover/spouse/one-night stand and then light up a cigarette.

"How was it for you?"

"Good enough", you summarised whilst taking a well-earned drag of smoke.

Or are you the kind of person to roll over in an instant, perhaps leaving your partner exasperated and hardly ready to catch some Z's?

Or you just spare just a moment reposing, then compose yourself and go again?

Do you cuddle up, have a chat, talk about deep things or even request a favour from your lover?

According to research and err hmm.. personal experience... these are all common, but what happens to our bodies during and after sex?

That's what you will find out on this MyTake!

On this MyTake I will be covering men and women having heterosexual sex and when I say I mean intercourse, lovemaking, copulation, fornication or as some Brits say, 'having it on'.

What Happens To The Male Body After Sex

At some point during sex, men reach a point of no return, this is sometimes called Ejaculatory Inevitability (yes there a medical term for it!)

His pulse rate and blood pressure rise, the sperm leaves him and his penis has contractions. Then he can return to resting and let his body cool down, which statistically happens faster for men than women.

The penis becomes flaccid and most men will have will have to wait some time before they can go again. The time it takes for a man to recover varies on age, fitness and of course the urge to return to the hearth of passion.

Men falling asleep after sex
Men falling asleep after sex

Some guys at this point will just want to go to sleep; is this plain rude or is it a biological necessity?

Well listen up to sexually disgruntled women! Science says it's natural for men to want to sleep and for various reasons.

Not withstanding the obvious, it is often sex is performed mostly at night and tiredness is normal, another reason is because upon reaching orgasm, men release lots of pent-up anxiety.

So of course do women, and they might feel tired too, but it seems men sleep more after sex according to research.

Another thing is brain chemistry. All these chemicals spill out in the brain when men ejaculate including:

- Serotonin (aka the happy chemical)

- Oxytocin (a reproductive hormone and neurotransmitter)

- Norepinephrine (stimulates adrenaline)

- Vasopression (promotes absorption of water in the kidneys)

- Nitric Oxide (increases blood circulation)

Some of these chemicals are related to de-stressing and the readiness to sleep. This can lead to that feeling of 'phew' and then men want to relax, just as they would after any strenuous exercise.

The brain chemicals work as the body's natural hit of morphine and apparently that hit is much stronger when having sex than when masturbating.

One doctor puts it like this when talking about the release of chemicals; "They give you a relaxed feeling, slow down your brain waves and cerebral functioning and make you feel pleasantly tired."

It is thought the hormone that is released called prolactin is the main reason men want to sleep. It gives them satisfaction and the less of it you have, the more likely you will go for round two quicker.

Really satisfied men may just turn over and start to snore.

Men suddenly needing to urinate after sex

Another thing men do after sex is that he might need to use the restroom, the reason?

It's chemicals again, oxytocin, prolactin and vasopressin play a role in the functioning of your kidneys and this is what makes a man run off to the bathroom.

Some experts also think it's to clean the urethra from bacteria, a kind of natural need. It might just also be because he's been holding it in during all that messing around.

He then finds that he is struggling to pee. That is normal, because for the sperm to come out, your internal sphincter muscle clamps and they are too close to the bladder. It happens to stop the semen from entering the bladder.

Why do some men cuddle and other's don't

In most Cosmopolitan magazines, it is suggested that men who want to cuddle are keepers.

But it also says that men who don't might just be succumbing to their own bodies demands.

Men can find that their penis feels a bit sore, but this is perfectly normal after sex. This usually doesn't last long (but if it feels sore or painful during sex I would advise visiting your local sexual health clinic).

Also don't be shocked if your testicles have shrunk as this is normal too.

A doctor talking to Men's Health magazine explained it like this; "When men ejaculate, the spermactic cord muscles contract and brings all their testicles up closer to the body, giving them the perception that they have gotten smaller.

Lastly men may get cramp in the toe, I've been told it's common. But in my research it's because orgasm causes stimulation in the nerves, especially the S1 nerve in the spinal column and that nerve affects the toes.

Upon further research, some men's moods can dramatically change after sex. Given the release of all that tension and all the brain chemicals flooding out that's not so surprising.

Some men have said to feel emotionally handicapped after a great orgasm and that's thought to be because huge amounts of dopamine were released.

It's like coming down from a drug that makes you feel happy or ecstatic.

In women, the feelings can be similar, as we shall see further on in this MyTake.

What Happens To The Female Body After Sex

Anatomy of the vagina
Anatomy of the vagina

Well, women may not always orgasm.

According to an article in Psychology Today that did a number of studies that around 50% of women will orgasm regularly during intercourse.

When a woman does, it's different from a man's one great push to the sun, as women have "rapid rhythmic contractions". This can be quite an event and some women certainly show this in their face and looking like they've had an ecstatic experience.

These shock waves go through her genitals, anus, uterus, pelvis, breasts and she too will have a magnificent rush of chemicals flooding through her brain.

Women may also experience female ejaculation, which is when a milky liquid will come out her of her urethra and this perfectly normal.

But what about when a lot of liquid comes out?

A neurophysiologist says "it's not the same milky liquid if it comes out in large amounts, it is urine diluted with substances from the female prostate."

Scientists are still not clear as to why some women do this and others don't, but it's certainly not harmful.

Why do some women want to talk after sex?

Some women could want to talk something as simple as talking about plans for tomorrow or as complex to the meaning of life while some men are already half-way to falling asleep.

It has been studied during sex women are more focused than men during sex, their minds completely set to task of reaching orgasm.

This is because their amygdala and hippocampus that both regulates feelings switches off.

Women are at one with sex.

Once women have come, their consciousness re-calibrates and emotional intelligence returns.

After sex women switch back and they get a lovely hit of oxytocin, also known as the cuddle chemical.

One study found that people with high levels of testosterone release less oxytocin after sex and men generally have high levels of testosterone. Some women do too have high levels of testosterone but not as much.

So men, next time you roll over blame your lack of oxytocin.

Some women may not experience a refractory period after all, this is the downtime men need to get ready to do it again.

Note: teenagers may not need much downtime, but then again due to inexperience, sex doesn't always last that long.

32
27

Most Helpful Girls

• MlleCake

Toe cramps? Not at all common.

Only about 18-25% of women can orgasm from simple coitus. Most women need much more direct stimulation to the clitoris. But often in hetero sex, the woman's needs for direct stimulation are given very little, if any, priority. This leads to a rather significant orgasm gap.

The clitoris is essentially the same organ as the penis, and the female and male orgasm are remarkably similar from a physiological standpoint.

True female ejaculation is rare. Very few of us will ever witness it. And it certainly should not be considered an indication of a superior, better or more fulfilling orgasm.

There are also women who simply urinate, purposefully or unintentionally, especially more common after age 35 when stress incontinence becomes more common in women.

We absolutely know why some women ejaculate but most don't. Typically female fetuses do not develop a functional Skenes Gland (female prostate), since WE have no biological imperative to jettison our genetic material to reproduce. Occasionally a female fetuses gets enough testosterone at the right time to create a functional gland, but it remains about the size of the tip of the pinky finger and produces a very small amount of fluid.

There is no physiological basis for the concept that women lose emotional intelligence during any phase of sex, however. Emotions may change, or intensify, but they certainly don't cease.

• Pamina

What's up with these people saying "who cares"? How can you not be curious about your own bodies and sexuality?

And is there anything worse than these ridiculous holier-than-thou virgins? You're not still virgins in your twenties because you're somehow better than anyone (to the contrary, you judgmental kiddies). You're still virgins in your twenties because you were raised to feel ashamed of your own bodies and natural urges. The sad truth is, you don't even really know yourselves. Because you were raised to ignore some of your most natural, most innate functions and desires. What a shame.

Oh well, the rest of us will continue to enjoy our sex lives. :)

• The only thing I disagree with is when you said "You're still virgins in your twenties because you were raised to feel ashamed of your own bodies and natural urges." That may be the case for some people, but it's definitely not the case for all of us.

• Pamina

@Just_a_human Of course not, I was specifically addressing these virgins who responded judgmental towards this. Sorry, I thought I made that clear.

Most Helpful Guys

• TadCurious

You did a great job and unlike @5yrup I don't think being curious about sexuality and writing about makes you a nymphomaniac. I loved how you referred to the male orgasm as "the one great push to the sun"! I'd never heard that phrase used that way. Anyway, it's healthy and normal to want to learn about sex and you did a fine job using your sources.

• Anonymous

Personally I don’t take insults from strangers online to heart, don’t see need to add fuel to the fire, it’ll die out on it’s own.

Glad you liked my reference to the male orgasm xD
      I enjoy learning how the body works and not just sexually but physically, genetically, mentally etc...
      I have made a MyTake weeks ago on the effects of inbreeding and hope to make more MyTakes in the future 😊

• TadCurious

I'm looking forward to seeing more myTakes from you.

• Furuok

Never drug induced always kept it natural. Never been exhausted yet? 110% never had a complaint, had a few stalkers though. Love the gratification of satisfaction then I raid their kitchen. Love to cook more than sex!

• Anonymous

Err... cool?

• Anonymous

Dunno about favourite sweet but I enjoy spending time with my fiancé

• Furuok

Cool! Wasn't going there, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, cake. I did truffles with Hersey kisses last night. Was brain storming that's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

2530
  • Vedika08

Good sort of information in this Take especially from a physiological point of view. Appreciate it and thanks.
    No wonder why sex feels so amazing. Now I wish I get more of it in my life and am not at all a nymphomaniac for desiring so as someone commented on this post. Gosh people are sometimes so judgmental.

• 5yrup

im a virgin and all these sex posts written by nymphomaniacs are getting really boring

• I feel sorry for your loss

• @Just_a_human she's been search though the "Sexuality" topic and all she finds is posts about sex!! Who would have thought that!!!

• Anonymous

@HotJealousy “omg I looked up sex topics and now I’m going to make people feel bad because no-one wants to have sex with me”... just a theory about @5yrup 🤔

• Tdieseler

lol... damn.
    someone did their research... its a nice and informative biology/anatomy lesson...
    but me personally lol... im just thinking "she nasty" lol

• Anonymous

😂😂

• StingRayxoxo

I just came here to say that I really want to sleep after sex too.

• Also, great mytake!

• Anonymous

Thank you 😊

• i1T2daty

Your very right about oxytocin. It is also present in you synaptic cleft when first holding a new born. I'm pretty sure there is a dopamine or DAT component is mostly pre-requisite for initiating most acts.

Bigger concern is exogenous chemicals from alcohol- probably the drug that most effects society in negative ways. I think pot's good, it makes you hungry and horny at the same time and what better to eat than*.*.

• Daniela1982

Are you male or female and who gives a shit what happens? Just go with it!

• Anonymous

You don’t care to know about what effects sex have on your body?
      In the moment, everyone just goes with it.

• ObscuredBeyond

A few years ago, I had GAD. You don't want to cuddle after sex in that state; you want to clean up the mess and ensure that you destroy most evidence it happened. Because somewhere, someone is looking for a way to collect evidence, and find some way to use it against you. And then, your partner admits to lying to you earlier about something, and the affection that should have been there is replaced with feelings of betrayal and anger.

Not great.

• Billy96

That was awesome Mytake very informative and I knew some of it but I also learnëd a little..
    They say it's good if you learn something every day
    Thanks for sharing...👍👍

• Innocentfantasy

I'm a literal virgin so who knows how sex feels for you neither do I care to believe to loose my virginity to a loser from. my school, hahaha, yeah.

• Prolactin (PRL), also known as luteotropic hormone or luteotropin, is a protein that is best known for its role in enabling mammals, usually females, to produce milk.

• Anonymous

Don’t see how producing milk is relevant to the Take 🤔

• It's irrelevant just forget that I wrote you that, haha, ☺️.

• John_Doesnt

I was told in a previous take that Jesus leaves a woman's soul when she has sex outside of marriage. So one of you is telling a lie!

• Wait why is Jesus in a woman's soul? 🤔

• Anonymous

Never heard that but my guess is you heard it from someone who practices Christian faith.

There’s no evidence to say this is true, where as this MyTake is based on years of scientific research and facts.

• Furuok

That's why! All these years I wondered, why women scream "Oh my God " in bed. Props bro, thank you!

• anupamagrawal

'An expert guide to sexual pleasure' - I loved the article as everything is explained in details with relevant images. The language is also easy to follow. Thanks for something SO HELPING.

• chrissycece

But me and my partner don’t get tired 😂 we go for multiple sessions. With breaks of course. But it only gets better.

• geo_logy

It’s cool to know what goes on scientifically! Great myTake!

• Rixon

I like this one :-)

Great job indeed. In love with this myTake

• VIVANT

Just thinking... technically, is this any different than if you just masturbate? I don’t see what this really has to do with sex. It’s about bang aroused and having an orgasm. As far as biology.

I fall asleep as soon as a cum it’s like being drugged.

Or, if I can get up I pee- then sleep.

Usually I fall asleep even though I have to pee which makes it really uncomfortable when I wake up.

if I try to pee right after cummig it’s verrry difficult bc things are numb or hard not sure which -maybe both

I have never wanted to talk. Too tired and not really into thinking. I usually think a lot so I so I would just enjoy being mindless and purely physical.

I do notice a change though after.. it is a bit like coming out of a coma but I’m still pretty drugged.

As far as cuddling I don’t see how sleep interferes. You just put your arm around someone and sleep.

I don’t think it’s helpful for people to blame biology bc someone is cold or not that into them 😁😁

• TheHillsRAlive

A very interesting myTake indeed. A little bit about squirting has not alluded me this time

• supercutebutt

What happens to my body while I am having sex? It gets filled with cock and cum, that's what.

• Alyssa_K

Wow! I just feel like I had sex ed all over again... lol good stuff though.

• wingattebaby16

this was very good!

Post more like this, please!!

• Pejtu

Well i guess everyone knows that
    i mean everyone above 14+

• humanearth

This reminds me of the sex education class we had to take in the 5th grade. It is almost spot on.

• Anonymous

It says on your account you are 51, if so, what was sex ed like in your school? Was it taught to you differently then how they teach it in schools today?

My parents had to sign a permission form if they wanted me to learn about sex. I remember being 10 and my parents deemed me too young to learn and then again at age 11 I was permitted but even watching the purposely bad drawn cartoon videos of sex I didn’t understand it. I was a kid, I just thought why do people want to do that? 😂

Then puberty hit 😂

• humanearth

Well it was like this. Yes we had permission slips to and mom or dad could come to. (My mom came. Totally embarrassing) The movie projector (before video tapes, no VCR's) was set up in the back of the class.

The classes were segated. Boys in one class room and girls in another class room.

The boys had some man teacher talk to use and the girls had a woman talk to them.

Class started with teacher passing out packets or booklets out.

We watched this old black & white movie telling us about a change we would be going though. The teacher would stop the film from time to time. To explain some key points.

He talked about why are penis got big in the morning, how pretty soon we won't see girls as icky, he explained what semen is and how the male body makes it. He also talked about how girls make eggs and get pregnant, talked about STD's and the use of condoms. He talked about what happens to sprem when my body is not going to us them, he even talked a little about homosexuality.

At the end there was a test. I think the test was to make sure we were paying attention.

• Anonymous

Thanks for replying :)

Yea the girls had a woman teach them about their bodies and the boys had a man teach them about theirs in separate classrooms. Then swapped so the woman teacher taught the boys about the female body and a male teacher taught the girls about the male body.

We were taught about pregnancy and childbirth, our periods and products we used for them, one teacher dipped a tampon into a glass of water to show us how it expands inside us, how puberty changes our body physically and mentally.
      We were taught about male body changes, what the penis does when aroused and how sex works.

• luvstoned4him

Thank you for sharing this. It was very informative.

• Unit1

I love sex!
    I hope my next girlfriend will be a nymphomaniac ☺ because I have satyriasis 😋

• Valnac

I did my own research in college. I know that when a man cums his sensitivity drops to zero.
    Instead of worrying about coming to quickly, the girl should give him a bj. That gets rid of the elephant in the room.
    Now his sensitivity is zero, this should be the time for the girl to go to the bathroom to freshen up (and use mouthwash).
    When she comes back, it’s business as usual. Get the girl aroused enough so she takes off her clothes. As soon as she does that, I got a new erection with no sensitivity.
    Then I was able to have sex for four hrs. No pills, cream, or pumps, just what nature gave me.
    I tried this method on several woman with the same results.
    Two things happen when you have sex for four hours, first, you are mentally, physically, and sexually exhausted. All you want to do is curl up and have the best sleep. Secondly, it usually comes with a marriage proposal.

• bklynbadboy1

Your my take was amazing why did you post anonymously I'd definitely follow you

• cunnilinguist

The quality of sexual energy transfer is dependent upon the spiritual level of the participants and I would add their current state of mind during sex. You know it's fairly good when you experience whole-body pins-and-needles kind of vibration, maybe a bit of losing-you-mind kind of dizziness, and you know you're having a good orgasm when your eyes are uncontrollably "stuck" pointing upwards, whatever the word for that is. Of course it can go further, sex is a potential gateway to intelligent infinity, but it requires serious dedication.

• ArrowheadSW

Awesome post.

• Kitty46

Now I want sex from my guy

• Grond21

This is great, thank you!

• OlderAndWiser

Thanks for the informative myTake!

• Chikky

Seriously this is really informative, love it

• Secret6620

Awesome article 👍👏

• ryryryan

Thank you.

• sean1234

Dont know, ask me when I'm married.

• Monica82

Good Take took experience to learn what I like.

• RedThread

I activate my final form.

• Joker_

Interesting myTake

• needhelp777

Interesting

• hopelessromantic5302

can't relate. I'm a virgin.

• LuWe22

Good mytake very interesting.

• Sofie1979

Definitely a greatest high I ever been on.

• mikey112

that was good..

• VaIiant

Great educational Take

• Kelly6

Interesting and true

• GirlThatDraws

Interesting, they didn't teach this in sex ed

• DaMack999

Recompose and compose and then go again.

• Anonymous

And then compose... and then recompose 💨

• Anonymous

"50% of women will orgasm regularly during intercourse"

Really? This seems really low. I am pretty sure my SO is closer to 95%+, not 100% but close. Dare I say 99%?
    50%, that stinks.

• Anonymous

Thank you for sharing this. I probably will never have sex, but at least, now I know how it works.

• Anonymous

Are these side effects bad for health?

• Anonymous

I think girls’ lack of big refractory period also plays a role in why girls can just keep on going and not feel sleepy. Girls tend to wanna talk for a few seconds maybe and then they’re horny and ready for another orgasm again. Then there’s the girls that don’t orgasm at all, so of course they won’t feel the need to shut down.