myReview 1 mo

Judaism’s Views on Sexuality

Judaism’s views sex to be a natural and holy thing, provided that it is done in a “kosher” way, so to speak.

Traditionally , sex in Judaism is considered kosher when it is between a husband and a wife. The first commandment is the Torah (Jewish Bible) is to “be fruitful and multiply”, which is the main reason as to why sex is consider to be a holy thing in Judaism- It’s two people who come together to create a new life.

This myTake with explore common questions in regards to traditional Jewish views on sex and sexual orientation.

Jewish Views on Sexuality
Jewish Views on Sexuality

How does Judaism View Premarital Sex?

Traditionally, premarital sex is discouraged, and in some cases taboo, in Judaism. In the orthodox world, premarital sex is strictly forbidden. In fact, many ultra-orthodox communities separate men and women in synagogues and schools in order to decrease the likelihood of romantic encounters. However, there are many liberal Jewish communities that do not separate the men and women.

What does Judaism say about Masturbation?

Traditionally, masturbation is strictly prohibited for men. This is because Judaism views masturbation as “spilling of the seed”, which means wasting the sperm. Wasting the sperm means wasting a potential life, which in some cases can be viewed as murder.

“spilling of the seed”
“spilling of the seed”

However, Judaism acknowledges that the ability to resist the urge to pleasure yourself is borderline impossible, especially for men. Almost ALL jewish men, no matter how religious they are, will most likely do it at one point or another. This is a major reason as to why Judaism tried to make marriage as early as possible, in order for the man to stop sinning and put his “seed” to use.

Women, on the other hand, are allowed to masturbate, because they don’t have to worry about wasting a potential life. However, there are many people in religious communities who try to discourage women from masturbating as well.

If “spilling of the seed” is prohibited, what does this mean for oral sex?

Judaism views of a man receiving oral sex is prohibited, because of the issue of spilled semen. In contrast, a women receiving oral sex does not raise the issue of spilled semen. However, a man staring at his wife’s genitals when performing the act is prohibited.

There may also be other “loopholes” to Judaism’s view on oral sex as well. Some Jewish communities say a man can do whatever he wants with his wife, as long as it’s consensual.

Judaism’s Views on Sexuality

How does Judaism’s View same-sex relations?

Again, the whole issue comes down to spilling the speed. Sexual relations between two men are forbidden because of this reason. The Torah also explicitly states that “man shall not lie with another man”, which reinforces Judaism’s reasoning on why homosexual relations between two men is prohibited.

Sexual relations between two women, however, are not entirely explicit in the Torah nor does it raise the issue of spilling the seed. However, because most of Judaism views marriage strictly between a man and woman, having lesbian relations can also be frowned upon as well.

In addition, Judaism also believes that people exist to overcome a certain challenge they have in life. A person may identify as being homosexual but has the challenge to not act on those feelings.

What are Judaism’s Overall Views of Sex?

Despite the holiness of sex, Judaism also views sexual drive as being a component of the yetzher hora (the evil inclination). Ironically, though, the evil inclination is not really that bad. It can be used for reproducing and holiness. A certain portion in the Torah also says “Were it not for the yetzer hara, no man would build a house, marry a wife, or beget children.”

In conclusion, sex in Judaism is seen as a beautiful and holy thing. Although pleasure during sex is important, Judaism views the sole purpose of sex is to reproduce and create a new life.

I hoped you enjoyed this myTake! Feel free on other myTakes you think I should do as well!

Judaism’s Views on Sexuality
15
3

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous

thanks. it's always good to hear about other people who think of sex as something sacred and not just something to do for fun. I remember in school some girls asking me if blowjobs were against my religion... I had no idea. I just avoided every kind of sexual act to be safe. :D by the way that bikini cartoon girl is HOT! ;)

• Anonymous

oh thank you. I appreciate the Most Helpful thing. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• RainWolfie

I actually found this pretty interesting. I love learning about different religions, and while this isn't the first thing I would go looking for, it's still pretty cool to know XD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

214
  • mistixs

Out of curiosity, why is it forbidden for a man to stare at his wife's genitals during sex?

• curiousnorway

I think it's a nice thing to wait with sex to marriage because of it lowers the STD risk, if a pregnancy happen the child would more likely get a stable family, you can look forward to something if you loves each others and it's less likely for an abortion. I do support many kinda conservative religion's views on sex although I'm not religious myself.

I don't see homosexuality as wrong. To me it's okay when consenting adults does things together. It's like a friendship, but a little more. In addition it makes the population more balanced (less likely for overpopulation), not everyone wants children, some children needs to be adopted and so on.

I would admit I'm mostly skeptical to pre-martial sex when it's a fertile straight couples because of the risk of getting pregnant, contraceptive can fail etc. To me both sterile couples and homosexuals are like abstinence when having sex because of no pregnancies. It's safer than straight couples using contraceptive. Therefor I don't count it the same way.

• Interesting! However, homosexuality is only wrong in Judaism (particularly for males) because it wastes a potential life. True, our world is overpopulated but Judaism doesn’t see that as a concern because they believe e God gave and will contour to give enough resources for its people☺️

• @mistixs she was indeed! She didn’t have a baby until she was 99 years old!

• mistixs

So I assume it's not sinful to have sex with an infertile wife :p the Torah does say that God is the one who closes the womb.
      And it's not like the couple is usually aware (going into marriage) that one of them is infertile. And after marriage, sex becomes a duty that a man must provide his wife according to Exodus 21:10.

• smg99

The whole world in all cultures do this. It only leads to crimes of frustration like rape.

Not saying it should be free but it should not be viewed as tainted.

A legal document separated righteousness from sin?
    Why? Yes it’s true in my culture too, but I despise traditional idiots.

It’s like discrediting human intelligence to that of zoo primates. If an individual can not control themselves they will be ordered to under religious doctrines?

It’s devaluation of intelligence.

• I do agree that to some extent, all these regulations make it seem as though humans are nothing but horny sexual creatures. However, I don’t agree with the fact that these regulations can lead to rape. I’m sure there are many, many, people who commit rate and don’t have a culture or religion whatsoever. These religious regulation are intended for people to have safe sex at a proper time and place, with the sole purpose of using it to create a new life

• mistixs

"A legal document separated righteousness from sin? Why?"
      Because that legal document obligates the man to stick around if a pregnancy happens, so that the child doesn't end up being raised with only one parent

• smg99

Absolutely true my dear

• AndrewMG

I'll be honest when it comes to religion I view myself as very ignorant (in the sense I'm not religious/have very little religious education), so it's very rare I'll comment on an opinion as I've very little to offer and I see people's religious choices as a private matter and not one that I'm necessarily qualified to comment. So what is nice is when someone post's a take with a view to educate rather than justify/force their beliefs on other people, so thanks, really interesting.

• GuidoThePizzaMaker

Wish more Jewish people practiced Judaism!
    Yeah I totally agree about the spilling of life.

I also agree about, be fruitful and multiply. and the need to resist temptations. But there is a way to have sex and not cum. So you can enjoy sex with your partner and not orgasm. its called Karezza and its amazing

• Bananaman177

And what is Judaism's view on Goyim?

Judaism’s Views on SexualityJudaism’s Views on SexualityJudaism’s Views on SexualityJudaism’s Views on Sexuality

Open Borders For Israel.

• @Bananaman177 Contrary to popular belief, Judaism does NOT believe that Jews are better than other people. Although they refer to themselves as God’s chosen people, Judaism does not believe Jews were chosen because of any inherited superiority. According to the Talmud, God offered the Torah to all nations of the earth, and the Jews were the only one that accepted it. By accepting the Torah, Jews have a greater responsibility than non-Jews. While non-Jews are obligated to obey the 7 commandments given to Noah, Jews are responsible for fulfilling the 613 commandments of the Torah.

I don’t appreciate you posting pictures that CLEARLY express your hatred towards Jews. I ask that you read up on this topic before posting such antisemetic pictures that cannot be verified by an academic source and are clearly made by other people who have nothing better to do than hate Jews.

• The Diary of Anne Frank that was written with a ball-point pen? Two years before ball-points were invented?

All the evidence is just faked, and it's not even really well-done, it just convinces people who don't question or who don't want to question. Lots of Hollywood movies, lots of books, lots of people willing to lie. That's all it takes.

All the evidence is on the other side, but you can get arrested and jailed in many countries for possessing it or even talking about it, so maybe that's why you may be unfamiliar with it.

• How do you even know it was written with a ball point pen? How do you know when it was invented Where’s your proof? You have no proof whatsoever that the holocaust never existed. You are just a holocaust denier

• George4love

You absolutely right but I think everyone think 🤔 deeply to understand your views because now days sex is a word like bone 🍖 in a greedy dog 🐶 mouth, no one want to understand the real facts

• ZicoLad96

Thank you very informative
    As a non Jew myself would you explain What Goyan is please?

• The term “goyim” refers to “other nations”. In other words, people that are not Jewish and Children in the Land of Israel.

• ZicoLad96

Only from Zionists and Israel people

• There holy books, as well as history, do in fact state that the land of Israel belongs to the Jewish people. I never condemn fighting and violence. But I do support self defence. PalestinianMuslim extremists do commit many terror attacks in Israel. The bombing in Garza is to wipe out Hamas and terrosist organization-NOT the innocent Palestinians. In fact, a few days before the war, Israelis were sending out flyers and notices to the Palestinians to evacuate from hazardous immediately because war was coming, and they stayed. Israel WARNED them that a war was coming and they still stayed in Gaza. Do you know any other countries who warn their enemies?

• bhavy24

Nice take, but i dont think many people on our planet follow these rules, we are in 21st century now

• They are very strange people l take nothing to do with people like that

• AHughMongous

All I read was sex and a bunch of empty spaces than sex.

• DamonR330

Super interesting! Great job

• shub09

That was beautiful 💛.
    I love the article. ✨

• Anonymous

What about abortion?

• Good question! From a religious perspective, Judaism says you shouldn’t harm any part of your body unless it threatens your life. Since the fetus is technically part of a woman’s body, she is expected to carry the baby to full term, unless it dangers her life.

• Haha hope that’s a good thing! I only know these answers because I’m jewish myself!

• Anonymous

Yes, its a good thing

• Anonymous

Fuck religion that's all

• Anonymous

I have an ex-girlfriend who became Jewish. And she also became a lesbian and married another woman. They both go to a LGBT temple.