Why did he change his mind about having sex with me?

Emmalynn7
I've been talking to this guy for a little over a year now. We've always been interested in each other but he was in a serious relationship. He's just got out of that relationship about 5 months ago and we've been talking quite a bit. He's made it quite clear that he wants to have sex and is sometimes overly aggressive. I've been telling him no, as I didn't want to end up being his rebound coming out of a 3 year relationship and I've never had sex before. (He knows this and has never seen it as an issue. In fact he always talks about how hot it gets him and how he would love to be the one to give me that)

I decided that I didn't want to wait anymore and we made a plan for him to come over. When the night came he all of a sudden starts telling me he's not looking to start anything, he doesn't know how I'm going to feel after we have sex, he's scared about what comes after, that he wants me but he feels guilty cause he doesn't know if I'm going to want more. I told him I wasn't looking for him to date me but If he had changed his mind it was okay. He said he didn't want to be the guy to give me my first something if I was going to be let down in the morning. I get that and appreciate it, I just don't understand. He's been trying to sleep with me for over a year and when it came down to it he seemed to change his mind. I haven't asked him for anything or a commitment even. What would make him change his mind like this?
2
2