Do you think child pornography charges are too much for sending nudes?

Anonymous
As it turns out my little sister's ex boyfrien took pictures of her about a year ago. And now they have resurfaced on porn sitie.
She didn't tell my parents yet and we contacted the page they had removed, but you know there could be millions of copies of it out there, so we're all very upset and angry with her ex.

The same thing happened to my friend a while back, so I know filing charges is very tideous in this case. But for my sister, well she was 16, she's now 17, which makes it child pornography and it makes her ex guilty of producing and distributing it.

So here's what I think, tell our parents and go to the police. Just to make sure we do all we can to go the pictures offline. And yes from what I understand, once we go to the police, they will have to file criminal charges against her ex, which might get him quite significant prison time. Which quite frankly, I don't give a shit about.

My boyfriend though, said that would be too harsh of a punishment for a 19 year old and that it would ruin his life. And I get it's a tough punishment, for what he did. But then again he did bring it on himself, he knew she was underage and regardless he shouldn't be sending around nudes in the first place. it might ruin his life, but he ruined hers as well, so I think he deserves it, right?

Do you think it's too harsh?
5
2