Why would he seem serious about me, tell his mom all about me, wait four months for me, then end things because he doesn't want a relationship?

Anonymous
We dated for four months. He would never label what we were, and I got the impression early on that he had commitment issues. I was new to dating so this didn't bother me at the start. 2 months in I started to fall deeper for him and when I asked him how he felt he told me he wanted me and he wanted a relationship in the future. I gave him more than enough opportunities to end things but he continued to text/call me all day every day, and arrange to see me 2-3 times a week. He made it clear that "I'd know" if he wasn't happy. New to dating, I held off sex but he would reassure me that I was worth waiting for and he was happy to wait.. he continued to reasure me for four months.

Last week I caught him texting another girl - nothing too flirty but it still hurt so I said my goodbyes. I wasn't willing to lose my virginity to a guy who I couldn't trust.

Days later he apologises and tells me I deserve better than him. He's negative about himself and tells me he doesn't want a relationship so he's letting me go so I can find someone who will treat me better.

But in days to come I find out that the guy who couldn't commit, the guy who didn't want a relationship, and the guy who walked away had infact told his parents about me. His mom, who I didn't even know knew I existed, got in contact to tell me she was shocked since in recent weeks he had told her all about me. He seemed 'serious' in her words, and he'd never been like this about a girl before.

I also know he told his friends about me, his work colleagues and his siblings.

- Why would he tell his mom about me if he didn't intend on me sticking around?
- Why would he say he can't commit, but commit himself to waiting 4 months for me?
- Why would he appear serious about me but then end things when he felt guilty?

It's likely he's seeing the girl he was texting. If a guy strays because a girl is offering him sex, will this mean anything? Is he likely to regret leaving soon?
1
1