Is sex a must in a relationship? Can a relationship last if there's no sex?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think there are many different ways a relationship can last even if sex is not involved. The relationship should be based on mutual love, respect, and commitment, not just sex.

What Girls Said 32

• umm..
    There are plenty of relationships that exist without sex between the two individuals. Which are supposedly all happy and 'wholesome' (ie. relationships in which sex is saved for after marriage).
    BUT- I mean, what's the driving force behind relationships like that? What's the reward going to be when they make it to the pre-decided checkpoint they're working towards.

Sex. Sex that's desired only with a virgin bride.

• 5d

Lmao you've got a pretty fucked up view of relationships if you think the only reason people are together is for the sex.

• 5d

@cipher42 lol you guys are all so comically delusional.

• 5d

@soleil2666 no, he doesn't have sex with other women. Because romantic attraction is enough for him, because sex is not the be all end all of relationships.

• It depends on the attitude the two have towards sex. If they are two asexuals, the lack of sex is for given and they probably are really glad they found the other. Also a pairing with one low sex drive and one asexual might work, if masturbation wasn't out of bounds. But with two people how have an average sex drive or higher, it usually turns out to be a problem, if there's no sex.

• I guess it could last without sex, but why would you want it to.

• Of course sex is important, but if you can't have sex they should not make you relationship any less important. All that matters is love.

• That depends on the two individuals involved and what they're looking for.

• We had to go around 7 months without sex because of complications before and after the birth of our first baby, it was a very stressful time.

• For a romantic relationship, I believe there needs to be intimacy. Whether or not that intimacy includes penetration, is between the couples. Whatever works for them.

• what's the point of a relationship if you're not having your not being %^$% out of your mind?

• No sex is ok. 🙃 But we at least need to masturbate together 😘

• I'm sure it would work for some people, but I personally couldn't have a relationship like that. Sex is really important to me, and if it was bad, or worse, completely absent, the relationship would fail sooner or later.

• Sex isn't a must in all relationships, but it is important to some. The best thing is to find someone with a similar or compatiable outlook on sex and relationships as you.

• Yes it can last

• 6d

I agree with you. It can last. There are lots a things a couple can do to be happy that don't have to be sexual and still feel close. Sometimes relationships don't last even if you have the best sex.

• Good question I will like also to ask that. But many people say is not posible and sex is highly important.

• There's plenty of relationships that exist [happily] with minimal sexual encounters. Seems to me that those that are most concerned about it are the newer generations. The older ones not so much. I actually think having sex all the time devalues the emotional connection and eventually will become boring for one or both parties.

• Yes, it is possible to have a lasting relationship without sex, for example christians who wait until marriage. After marriage sex is a must.

• Yes a relationship can last with out sex

• It can. It's very difficult, but I know couples where one person is ill, or has some kind of severe sexual hangup, or they're simply working opposite shifts and never sleep at the same time.

• Not for me, already was in a loveless marriage for way too long. Won't be like that again

• I think so.. there are Asian people who does that. They date a lot eating things holding hands that’s it. However I might not know what they are doing behind the door.

• 5d

that's true and they do nothing behind the door till they get married
      (it's like traditional they don't loss virginity till they get married)

• There is no relationship without sex.

• For me it is.

• Some can some can't

• hmmm... maybe. If there were cuddling and kissing. but usually that leads to sex

• i love sex from u

• Yes. Us girls can think of a million reasons how relationships can last without sex being involved. The most simple one is that guys stop thinking it’s mandatory and has another use besides reproduction

• Yes, asexuals exist dude.

Without sex, there is still love. Sex is a way to SHOW your love, but it is not love itself.

For most people, sex is needed but for those who have no sexual desire of course its not needed.

Tho if an asexual and someone who was sexual were together sex would probably still be needed... However I am not asexual so I do not know how that would work out

• Yes, it's a must. It brings two souls closer.

Me and my ex had a non sex relationship for about a year. We were very close in many ways, but because of me, we can't have intercourse. He was very patient at the beginning, but I knew he wanted it with me, and me too. I can't describe the frustration and insecure I had.

He is a great man -- husband material, but I lost him and still love him.

• Me and my boyfriend did fine when we started out having sex wasn't the biggestnpriority. Getring to know each other and developing attraction just made the wait worth it for the both of us. I really think we would be doing just as fine if I were still a virgin. But I can't say for certain because we have regular sex now.

• Yes I believe a relationship can work without sex. Then again every relationship is different. In my relationship I can not keep my hands off my boyfriend because I love him so much and am so sexually attracted to him. It would be very frustrating for me if we were to have no sex.

• Well, I'm asexual so I don't have or want sex in my relationships and if anything, its made us closer.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 56

• For people with mild sex drives, little sex can work in a relationship. But for couples where one wants/needs a lot of sex or both do, it won't be long before things get frustrating.

• For a short amount of time yes it can last. If you think about what separates friends from partners, it´s sex and intimacy. For me the first sign that I´m losing interest to my partner would be that I don´t want to have sex with her anymore. We then just become friends and soon the relationship ends.

No that being said, when people get older, their bodies change and priorities change as well. Later on in life sex won´t play as big of a role as it used to, but it should still be there. Sexless relationships won´t last, and if they do, I highly doubt that both people are faithfull or at least wouldn´t want to have sex

• Yes, they can and do last. There are lots of people out there, and lots of different things that work. I've seen couples I found it hard to believe that it could work, but it did. There are couples who have no physical contact at all, and it still works.

Some couples get together and marry strictly for companionship and company. That's especially true of elder couples who are widowed. It can work for anyone though.

• I don't think so but most people think it is. Like they could never have a relationship without sex. It's disgusting

• I think it varies with age. When my wife and I were much younger, we were having sex every day. Some days, all we did all day was just lay around, make out, and have sex. Now that we're much older, things have changed. My wife had a double mastectomy, which she says really affects her feeling of sexual attractiveness. That, combined with her going through menopause, makes it really hard for her to get sexually turned on anymore. I seem to have also slowed down sexually, to the point where I could take it or leave it. It's kind of weird, but our relationship still seems to work.

• With rare exceptions, sexual intimacy is a must for men. Intercouse can be delayed insofar and hand and/or oral sex is substituted. A man's exclusivity, and longevity are validated hy her giving him an orgasm in some manner. Denying that encourages side relationships to fill the gap.

• In response to Kayla's argument: The reward is the knowledge that you have the grounds for a stable family, one children will instinctively know is a "right" arrangement, without having to distress themselves to make excuses for the adults' behavior. You'll gain numerous legal benefits to being your own unit too. And it's spiritually healthy. No more fighting with yourself over right or wrong if you and your spouse both want sex. Just go for it.

• If two asexuals date each other then it's possible. Otherwise I don't know what kind of relationship that would be...

• No, it will not last. Even for those waiting till marriage the end understanding is there will be sex later. Sex matters and the nature of male/female communication is primarily sexual. Remove the sexual component and there is no relationship, in the context that we are speaking.

• Yes, of course they can. Sex is something that is given too much importance and it's overrated.

• yes its a must in a relationship, even tho there are far more important things in a relationship than just sex, but still, sex is a important part in a relationship

• If there's no sex its not a relationship. Thats a friendship!

• No, it's not and yes, it can.

• yes probably , if the relation is moving slow may be and doesn't want to take things too fast , may be also are saving it for marriage some people do so if you actually know , not all sleep together before marriage some wait for the wedding night to be special , but if they're married but no sex or one of them is holding sex then it's not a good thing , this may cause some people to cheat :/ , because let's say she didn't get married for her husband to hold sex and have no more if they had a little problem may be or visa versa , it's still not a good way , but as in no sex in general relationships i believe it works and it can work easily

• Yes, it is fairly common. But for most people it would not work out, at least not until late in life.

• All I'd need is either love. The strongest reason I want sex is because I want kids, but adoption is also acceptable. Sex is just a want.

• Yes, but it's rare as hen's teeth, if by "relationship" you mean an exclusive, romantic relationship.

• Like anything else, if both partners are perfectly happy without sex, who are the rest of us to judge? The problem arises when one or both are not satisfied with the lack of a sex life.

• Yes it's called a friendship.

• Sure it can. Personally for me tho no, it's a must have.

• sure it can... will they be at their best... probably not
    will they know it.. probably not...

• There is a relationship based on your questions. Mother, father, brothers, sisters... lol and screw this whole incest phase...

Sex is important for a relationship.

• Yeah it is

• sure, if both partners are asexual. otherwise no.

• Not indefinitely. I would wait several years if I was with a virgin if we were going to get married. I would expect at least a hand job.

• 99% of the time no. The other 1% are asexual people, like me, but none of us have a chance of ever being in a healthy relationship anyways. So, I guess just no.

• Depends on the sex contract between the two. They both have to agree on how they want their relationship to go, including frequency and type of sex.

• Yes but whyyy?

• A relationship between two 80 your old couple, maybe.

• Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the assistance in that photo?

• More from Guys
    26