Do you think masculinity and femininity are social constructs?

• Yes
  • No
  • Unsure/maybe a bit of both
    Vote C
Thank you everyone for answering and giving your opinions!
Why is that woman on my question? I didn't put her there...

42147

Most Helpful Girls

• Some aspects of gender are because of biological differences, like the general assumptions that biosex female people have certain parts and biosex males have certain parts. Then there are things like hormone levels that may bring out certain behavior traits, and some of those behavior tendencies have been associated with one sex or the other. Then there are the social constructs on top of that, so gender is a much more complicated thing than sex is.

The part that is a social construct is more like:

"Pink is for girls, blue is for boys, and a boy who wears pink is feminine." (It used to be that blue was for girls and pink was for boys, in the past.)

Some part of what we see as feminine or masculine has to do with social conditioning about what men and women are "supposed" to do, like or be, and not with any actual biological difference.

Such as: Men can grow long hair. Women can grow long hair. We have decided that long hair is more feminine. It had practical reasons - women were less likely to do physical work that would catch their hair or clothing, so we could wear it longer, but in-and-of-itself, long hair is just a thing either sex can have. It's neutral, biologically speaking. And in this day, and age, we see some men who are considered to be quite masculine having longer hair. This is because the social construct of women with long hair and men with short turns out not to matter in the modern age as much as it used to matter, so the social construct has changed to say "some women still look feminine and hot with short hair and it's just fine" and "some men look masculine and hot with long hair, and that's also just fine."

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Just a little side note about the pink thing
      Back in the old days having red clothes was a prestigious thing reserved for the wealthy men as it was the most expensive dye and it was also a dye that didn't last long so with washing red clothes became pink quickly
      So men wore pink not because pink was"manly" but because red was though frankly it was more about showing wealth than being manly even

• The dolor one has fascinated me for years. The switch to pink for girls and blue for boys can be traced to as recently as the 1940.

People don't realize that Thomas Gainsborough's Pinkie and The Blue Boy eschewed gender based colors of the day (late 1700's).

• give me my tights back please l am a lady lol

• I think that some aspects of masculinity and femininity are social constructs... but that those social constructs are led out from biological facts. There are biological differences between men and women that makes some types of skill and behaviour more "natural" for one sex than for the other... but not all the gender roles are purely based on biology, nor do all aspects of masculinity and femininity have basis in biology.

There's also the fact that we have evolved beyond the animal stage and can to a much bigger degree choose whether or not we want to follow those base instincts. And so, some of the things we have been raised to think of as "masculine" or "feminine" aren't really in a biological sense, they are just learned behaviours.

So... like many questions in life, the answer is "both yes and no." ^_^

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, it is. What is "masculine" or "feminine" is a matter of personal opinion and societal upbringing/environment. Things that are considered "very feminine" in one culture are just considered "strange" in other cultures and vice versa. The same goes for masculinity. For instance there is a tribe in Central America where young men have to jump a really high tower with a vine tied around their foot. Kinda like bungee jumping but much, much more painful. Rather than being elastic like a rubber rope, those vines stop your fall very abruptly. Many of the young guys get seriously injured. Yet, the passage rite is mandatory and going through it alive is considered to be "very manly". Most westerners, including most western men would probably regard this ritual as dangerous and weird, not masculine.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • There are hormonal, biological and psychological differences. Those are certainly hardwired, as an example even in apes males prefer trucks and balls, while females prefer clothing and dolls. Response to emotional distress alao seems to be hardwired, as is attraction patterns (guys have a visual trigger), and males seem to have a biological urge to protect women. Further there may be a few deep psychological assumptions about gender that are also hardwired such as the belief that men are more dangerous or aggressive then women (recent studies involving domestic violence challenge that assumption). But some of the trappings are societal such as makeup or clothing or color designations.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE