What would you do if this law was in place?

"And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife. If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins." (Ex 22:16-17)

(A maid means an unmarried woman; "betrothed" means engaged to be married. Basically this law means that if you have casual sex with someone, you need to marry them.)

Also please answer: What do you think of this ancient commandment?
What would you do if this law was in place?

• I would STOP having sex with people who are unworthy of marriage
    Vote A
  • I would CONTINUE having sex with people who are unworthy of marriage, & deal with the consequence of marrying them
    Vote B
  • I would CONTINUE having sex with people who are unworthy of marriage, & I would try to somehow evade the consequence of marrying them
    Vote C
  • I would wait until marriage to have sex
    Vote D
  • I don't plan on having sex at all regardless
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think we should be grateful we don't live in biblical times (or Alabama, same thing) I wouldn't be surprised to learn if that law or one below came back.
    If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. Deuteronomy 22:28-29

1|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

That's a mistranslation present only in very recent translations of the bible. The actual Hebrew word refers to seduction. It's consensual sex. cbmw.org/.../

• 7 d ago

Given the amount of times rape occurs in the bible I'm not too sure. People always claim mistranslation when a passage doesn't suit them.

• I don't think it's necessary to have a such law, but I think sex before marriage is a bad thing and people should be encouraged to wait. The hook up culture should also be changed. The problem with having sex before marriage is that you may not be sure if you've found the right partner, you may rush through or skip the relationship to just have casual sex and you've little to no agreement. It's easier to have a good overview over an agreement when it's written down.

People tends to wait till marriage since it's expensive, so it force them to slow down and be sure if they've found the right one or not. Marriage gives an official agreement, may encourage people to stay together and give stability to the children. In addition it benefits families legally in many countries. Even if you don't plan having any children I still think you should wait with sex until marriage because of if you gets some children with an accident you needs to be ready to be able to take care of them. Abortion isn't an option since that's unethical and murdering. Adoption is an option, but taking care of your own children if you can would be ideal since adoption can take some time.

With sex I mean any sexual activities that can cause pregnancies; in other words vaginal penetration. Blow job, hand job, anal sex, licking, oral, kissing etc. won't cause a pregnancy and therefor it doesn't count to me. In a way it's sexual, but it's not the "real" thing in the marriage context in my opinion. The reason why people should wait to marriage is mostly because of a good family planning and children as contraception may fail. The other reasons to wait are minors compared to this one.

Why a law like this would be ineffective is because of it would be difficult to enforce it, many would stay in unhappy marriages and people do mistakes that's difficult to correct. A campaign would also be more motivating to many than a strict law since the law would make the government appear too strict for some. If a law like that took place, I would either wait with sex till marriage or stay single and masturbate.

0|0
    0|0
  • None of the above. I would fight this legally. This would be a shit law

2|3
    1|0
    • 7 d ago

Yeah it's shitty to expect men to take responsibility & not abandon the woman to become a single mother if a pregnancy happens. /sarcasm

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

If a child results, her first responsibility is to the child, NOT to her selfish and narcissistic depraved desires. Can does not mean should. Also, casual sex yields a hardened heart. There is no cheating the consequences.

By your "logic," CatLady, I should be able to go out on the lake and fish using whichever boat I please, not refuel it, and not bother with a fishing license, not purchase a boat ever, accept no responsibility if I sink it, only return it to the owner if I feel like it, and compensate the owner absolutely nothing - and even be rude when questioned about it all, even if I ruin his day or his kids' day at the lake!

Except, by law, that's called piracy, and I'd be jailed as a pirate. Yet, you are the kind of arrogant simpleton that CS Lewis spoke of when he said: "They delude themselves into believing that - as long as the end result is four bare legs in a bed - literally any evil man can devise is therefore automatically justified."

• 7 d ago

@ObscuredBeyond glad you take what I said and twist it to fit your “logic”
      Just because my views don’t align with yours doesn’t mean you have to insult me. In no way did I say that a person not take responsibility for their actions, I just don’t feel that marriage has to happen for sex to be apart of a relationship

• The law clearly said maid/virgin, not easy girl/slut, why would a guy pay money to a slut or even worse marry an slut? you can't make a ho a housewife. Anyway I rather avoid an slut all together, so that law would not have much effect on me.

tvtropes.org/.../NatureAdoresAVirgin

0|0
    1|0
    • 7 d ago

"Maid" referred to any woman who was not married at the time. This included widows. No fooling around of non-spouses, period, was the point. It meant someone had the wrong priorities in life. It lead to loss of productivity, as well as opening the door for other social problems that otherwise couldn't exist. Therefore, there was no sensible reason to allow it.

Modern civilization thinks social wisdom such as that can all be betrayed without consequence, all because we have vaccines and sophisticated toys that didn't use to exist. Yet, the human heart is the same. So it is folly.

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

The prime reason to sacrifice the firstborn, is so that you could walkaway and not produce another child. It was an effort to erase the first crime, by committing a worse crime. That's exactly what abortion is today. Only, it's morphing into other things that are even worse.

Indeed, we've learned nothing from thousands of years of history.

• 7 d ago

@ObscuredBeyond you like to talk a lot about that topic don't you? my comment on that was quite short. Check the lexicon, maid does means virgin, among other things, and later in the law it also say virgin an second time, and still you trying to ignore it, because it don't fit your agenda. There is no need to white knight an sluts, they don't worth it. Women didn't used to slut around in those times, that's why unmarried women tend to be virgins, and that's why the word maid have an multiple meanings. There is no much wisdom in the licentiousness of the "modern civilizations", sluts are still sluts, and sluts are not an wife material, sluts are trying to find an sucker who would marry them, after they have a lot of cocks on them, and they would likely cheat on him, to show how grateful they are to him, you should be aware of that, if you don't want to be used by an slut.

• I'd protest and lobby to have the law changed, on the grounds that it is controlling, and immorally restricts peoples' sexual autonomy and religious freedoms. I'd prefer the government stay out of my bedroom.

Also, the dowry is supposed to be 50 sheckles... That would be a nightmare! Can you imagine going down to the bank, and trying to exchange for 50 sheckles?

0|0
    0|0
  • I would probably move somewhere else or just commit suicide.
    I don’t care for casual sex myself but I’ll be damned if I gotta MARRY someone if I ever have an itch to scratch. I don’t want to be married at all. And I am not going to be forced to. Also, it’s complete bullshit to force a guy to PAY for sex if he doesn’t want to get married.
    The entire idea is bullshit because my yoni is not for sale and I am not a piece of property. I don’t belong to my dad or any guy I choose to sleep with.
    So let me just get my passport ready cuz I wouldn’t be able to deal with that nonsense.

1|2
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

It is a matter of expecting men to take responsibility if there are consequences to the sexual activity in which he willingly chose to engage. Men can't just pump and dump women & leave them pregnant with an STD, without supporting them.

• Show All
    • 5 d ago

What is also realistic is the possibility that a fresh, young couple won’t last. There are plenty of exceptions but they don’t take up the majority

• 5 d ago

What got me was "These days there aren’t nearly as many broken hearts because girls and guys now have realistic expectations."

... "aren't nearly as many broken hearts" ... is that really so? "girls and guys have realistic expectations" ... eh?

• I know this sounds "Dudley Do Right, but I have never had sex with a girl I was not prepared to marry if she got pregnant. So I was on the right track, but I guess I'd be even more picky. Perhaps Mistixs would be a good chouce except that I'm not available.

1|0
    0|0
  • Antiquated concept. Single people of today are allowed to honor their sexuality without being obligated to join a societal construct that has no relevance to them. I'm including religion, purity stereotypes, gender responsibilities and on and on...
    Provoking question tho

1|1
    1|0
    • 7 d ago

Walkaway Joes are responsible for creating a LOT of social problems. Broken families, bitter feuds, suicidal children, school shooters, gender confused, cat ladies, and most shades of juvenile delinquent. Loosy Goosy moms are the reason Gary Ridgeway got all messed up.

To call the concept "antiquated" and "irrelevant" is to be willfully ignorant.

• 7 d ago

Enforced relationships (rape and physical abuse in the name of tradition) and ashamed single moms are sad reflections of starched collar viewpoints.

• 5 d ago

Cohabiting is itself abuse. And regret isn't rape. Thanks for playing.

• Guess it's time to stop having casual sex. Marriage is some nonsense that I cannot fathom.
    I do not develop any sort of feelings because of sex, nor do I tend to stay with anyone beyond that. I let them all know that this is as far as it goes. I'm emotionally detached and it is imperative that they comprehend that.

0|0
    0|0
  • The law can’t force you to marry someone if there’s no proof you did anything so people could just pretend it didn’t happen and be more sneaky about it and not much would change or they’d marry whoever they were forced to then they’d both do their own thing separately and sleep with whoever they want because they’re already married and can’t be forced to marry again

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't give up the goods unless I'm to the point of seriously considering marrying the gal. Suffice to say, I've been majorly disappointed once by a very cruel con artist. Otherwise, I don't just give that part away. Yet, seeking the worthy is exhausting. So many think life is all about them, when history has no end of examples of why it is folly to think that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would ignore it completely on the grounds that it's fucking stupid.

1|1
    0|1
  • Fuck that Old Testament Biblical bullshit based on the traditions of an ancient, small tribe of misogynistic, desert dwelling, nomadic goat herders.
    The U. S. should NOT have religious based laws.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6 d ago

Its not misogynistic to expect men to have responsibility of any consequences (such as pregnancy) as a result of their sexual activity

• 6 d ago

That culture was misogynistic. It's also misogynistic for women to be treated as men's property, controlled by men, and bought and sold.

• 6 d ago

Is it misandric for a man to risk life and limb to protect, provide for and serve his wife?

Also the woman had sex too but the law isn't misandric towards the man?

• I would just tell the girl to pack her bags and leave her family behind as we move to someplace else.
    Personally, my family has no clue who I have dated or what my sexual history is like, it simply isn't their business.

0|0
    0|0
  • Exodus is a part of the OLD Testament. Jesus gave us a visit to update the dusty portions of that.
    Actually, I could read (if I wanted to) the text as perhaps a justification for prostitution, ("he shall pay money") or at least as a suggestion for 'clean' procedure without marriage? ("If her father utterly refuse")
    What I'd do... Never ever listen to preachers with their own interpretations. I'll follow my heart.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

We are still meant to learn from the Old Testament. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Tim 3:16)

and the lesson from that passage is that a man can't pump and dump a woman & go without any responsibility for whatever consequences (such as pregnancy) that may arise from the sexual act.

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

@Dargil well I'm a virgin so I got that one thing going for me :p

• 7 d ago

Matthew 5:17.

• This is why I'm glad they separated Church and State because "laws" like this have no place in modern society... If it was enacted then we'd have problems.

0|2
    0|0
  • Continue, the try avoid... In the hopes of everyone else doing it to, so we can clog up the system and cause as much misery and chaos to The man as possible. Powerful men have always tried controlling sex and marriage. After all they want the best workers for their future. Just look at religions...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep, If I take a girls virginity I would definitely marry her. But I dont think i would take it in some casual situation. It would probably be after a period of friendship, romance, and relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • My behavior wouldn’t change because I already think sleeping around without intent to marry is morally repugnant.

1|0
    1|1
  • I vote C. I don't just hook up with people but I wouldn't rule it out completely, the only girl I've been with I did want to marry, but I don't plan on getting married now so, it'd just be another law most people commonly break that's probably not hardly enforced

1|0
    0|0
  • I would stick to my current modus operandi, and wait till marriage until I have sex

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, i agree that if a man makes sex with virgin girl, he should marry her, because the majority of girls who lost their virginity thought that the guy who took away their virginity is going to marry them... which is not true.

0|0
    2|0
  • I'd get the fuck out of that backwards country that looks to a random book for laws...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think in some places you still have to pay a dowrey to marry someone's daughter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have sex with people I wouldn't commit to anyway. It seems very immature

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol then i would be having hundreds of husbands lol

0|1
    0|0
  • It wouldn't Stand up in court , but assuming it would then I would stay a virgin untill my wedding day as I respect our laws. They might not all make sense but they are there to protect us

0|0
    0|0
  • Wait until I am getting married to do the do 🖤💍💙

0|1
    0|0
  • If this were a national law and enforced somehow I’d like to think I’d be ever so selective with who I slept with.

The truth is I’d be getting married or paying a lot of money very early in life most likely.

Although that law is not a national law, there’s a much harsher one in effect. Scripture states fornicators will not inherit the kingdom of God. With this law in effect I still continue to roll the dice. So I find it hard to imagine I wouldn’t with a law that carries far less of a penalty.

As scripture says elsewhere, better to marry than burn with passion. I think I will take that advice sooner than later. Rolling dice and fooling around with sin is profoundly unwise. No one knows when they will die. Better to repent and seek salvation while the opportunity is there.

0|2
    0|0
  • I think that way would clear up a lot of drama.. and pain in life... but at then end of the day, people love what they love

1|0
    0|0
  • Ah, that isn't anything other than a shotgun wedding.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most people would continue to just have sex and not get married.

1|1
    0|0
  • I would STOP having sex with people who are unworthy of marriage

0|1
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

We're most likely the time period that Romans 1 spoke of. With so many narcissists running amok, I hope you do find a diamond in the rough. Because the majority are becoming unworthy of much of anything. They're like compost bacteria, yet think of themselves as gods and goddesses. And unregulated compost bacteria always result in the compost fire that destroys them.

• It's not a new tastment law, so I won't really follow it. But if an unmarried couple had sex they should marry. If she was raped then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • At any rate, I vote D. Although it seems that passage its saying that if her father doesn't want to give her up you will have to pay him a "dowry"...

(_______dow·ry
    [ˈdou (ə) rē]
    NOUN
    property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.
    "Elizabeth's dowry was to be $45,000 in diamonds"
    synonyms:
    marriage settlement · (marriage) portion · tocher · dot______)

-Almost as if you are trying to bribe him, to show him you mean business, to give him something that will make him feel better that his daughter is being given away in marriage. .

0|0
    0|0
  • I would leave the country if they started enforcing theocratic bullshit like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m not a good listener so I’d probably just continue dancing with the devil 🤙

0|0
    0|0
  • Directions too confusing.
    Got dick stuck in ceiling fan.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would still have sex with my boyfriend because I'm planning to marry him.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

Here's hoping he gets that ring soon. Don't let him use you.

• Show All
    • 5 d ago

"marriage means penalties for abusing the familial bond that is both physical and legal." Last I checked cheating on your spouse has never gotten anyone punished by the law. Nor leaving your spouse/separation. Nothing can keep a family together not even marriage. Also your bringing children into the picture that wasn't in the original discussion. Yes I do think the legal part of marriage does provide more security when it comes to children, one example being child support if a parent leaves. That I agree with. But like I said not the point of the original discussion to begin with. Coming from a family with divorced parents, marriage is something of a legal nature only, it's something that can be reversed and it's not what keeps people together, much less in a loving relationship. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either ignorant or in denial.

• 5 d ago

Dude don't you get it? I don't come from a backwards country and I'm not religious. My family would never kick me out and they would certainly not go to "War". They did it the same way as me. Sex and moving together before marriage is normal and common and we don't want kids anyway

• Its a good law, keeps degeneracy in check

1|0
    0|0
  • I would continue waiting for marriage to have sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just wait till marriage I mean it's not so bad

0|1
    0|0
  • Fuckin move lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted D. I'm waiting... and quite impatiently.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m waiting till marriage. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • No sex, and smack anyone who offers

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ll stop being with men.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would be good

0|0
    0|0
  • I would prat to this god not to be female?

0|0
    0|0
    • 18 h ago

Why? The woman has more rights than the man in this situation. The woman can try to convince her father not to marry her off, but the man has absolutely no choice.

• Show All
    • 18 h ago

And both men and women had rights to be people, but they were also obligated to take responsibility for their actions. If they didn't want to marry then they could've chosen to not have sex

• 17 h ago

geez, im not sure how easy it would be to choose not to have sex.
      in any era.

• As I've said before, now you all know why this poster posts so much questions about sex.

Strangely, the people who are religious and who believe that what was written centuries ago still applies in a 21-st century where we can now send people to Mars and who believe in abstaining from sex before marriage are also the people who are most likely be thinking about sex day and night.

It's the same reason why there is a LOT of porn viewing in Muslim countries, disproportionate to their population size.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Generally, well-adjusted adults who have had sex don't think about it THIS much.

Show More

Recommended myTakes