Boyfriend says I'm not an 'Adult' because I can't drive... how do I respond without getting too aggressive?

Floral90
Long story short my boyfriend and I tried to plan a day of errands and he got on my case about the commute. I explained that if he doesn't want to drive we can do public transit, Uber or get things delivered. He doesn't let up and snaps telling me I need to be a 'real adult' and get a license. Here's the thing: I pay for our entire apartment rent, the groceries, the bills, the furniture. I also cook and clean. He doesn't have a steady income and can't afford any of the above expenses, even his car he had to borrow money from his mother to pay for. And he's on her insurance plan. So, how do I approach what it means to me to be an adult (more than just owning a car) without it escalating into a tit for tat argument? I do want to get my license, but I'm not confident behind the wheel and became less of a priority when I got a remote job from NYC. I thought we worked well together as a unit and it feels like he's attacking from a place of insecurity, which I don't want to respond to in kind.
19
4