26 d

How does it feel to know that your wife could beat you up?

bobbistar
It's not that I believe that a husband must always be physically stronger than his wife. As a pro-feminist man, my comfort in my own identity is not linked to any sense of muscular superiority over my spouse! At the same time, I'm a product of my upbringing. I've never been in a relationship with a woman of my wife's level of fitness and power and agility. It's been a shock to realize that I am frequently judged because of my partner's strength. The reactions I get when folks see us together in the gym fall into one of two camps: some people (usually men) assume I am "hen-pecked and put-upon", a wimpy victim who is dominated by his wife. Others assume I must have something very special "going for me" (something not evident to the naked eye, mind you); I must be "extra-confident" to be able to "handle" such a strong woman!
But in the end, while I celebrate my wife's physique, I don't rely on her looks or her athleticism to boost my self-esteem or my feminist credentials. What makes me proudest about my wife is that I think that she is such a marvelous role model for other women. Her willingness to tackle traditionally masculine sports, to be unafraid of developing strong and evident muscles, sends a powerful signal about female ability and potential. Our future children will see in their mother a woman who is very clear about one thing above all else: femininity, ferocity, and obvious physical strength are not mutually exclusive propositions! And in their father, lord willing, they will see a man who does not define his masculinity by his ability to physically protect his weaker wife.
14
91