What does it mean if a guy asks you out for drinks rather than dinner?

Does that necessarily mean that he's just interested in sex? Or is it more like it's not even really a date so just chose something where the two of you don't have to spend hours together and he can leave after just one drink? I assume the very fact that he asked the girl to go out at all means that he doesn't find her totally replusive.
more specifically, he asked if I wanted to go for drinks. When I asked if he knew any good restaurants, he said no but he knows some good bars.

1213

Most Helpful Girls

• I actually believe that when men (or women, because I've done it too) ask someone out for drinks it is mainly because:

1. they don't know you well & they don't want to commit to spending a lot of time with you in case you two don't get along well. (i.e., boring, no spark, crazy, etc.)

2. meeting for drinks is kind of like a pre-date "interview"...do I want to date this person?

3. I don't want to spend money on this person yet, not until I know that I like them better.

• Too feel more comfortable, you should suggest going to a nice restaurant bar. Not a "bar-bar." You find a couple that you are comfortable with, then you will feel better about it. And stick to only 2 drinks.

• Thanks for B.A.

Good luck on your search for "the one."

• I totally agree with you! 😊

• I have heard the general rule that it's a booty call only if he asks to meet you at 11pm or later. So if you're meeting for drinks and you want to be more than a booty call but he suggests 11pm, suggest an earlier time and just get out of there before he tries to take you back to his place.

Asking you to go for drinks is a perfectly suitable way to ask you out because he simply wants to get to know you and wants to keep it light and casual. Dinner is a bit more "serious" than drinks, and I can almost guarantee that if after going for drinks he wants to see you again, he'll ask you to dinner.

• hmm it's for around 8pm so I guess it's not too too bad ... but really is it so casual that it's not even really a date? More just like hanging out though? lol I can't believe at this age I'm still getting fussed about these minor details but there we have it :)

• Its a date. Drinks is standard for a first date, at least in my demographic.

• My 2 cents honestly I think calling it hanging out is just a way to take pressure of things. It's still a date just something more relaxed and low pressure. Dinner for a first date seems a bit too formal for me but then again that may just be my age.