+1 y

What do you think about virgin-shaming?

I know that prude/virgin shaming or mocking is not as bad as slut-shaming, but it seems that a lot of people do mock people for being less sexual or not sexual at all simply b/c it's not as bad. I've been doing some thinking and it's actually just occurred to me how it can affect people negatively and contribute to what a lot of feminists call "rape culture."

I'm in college and there was this guy at my school who had been drunk. This girl took advantage of him and he did not want to have sex with her. He had been a virgin. Many people didn't care that it was rape, all they thought was "well at least he's not a virgin anymore." I thought that was a horrible thing to say when someone has just been raped. It seriously pissed me off.

I also don't like that being more open to women being more sexual means that many women get called prudes if they are not as sexual. I've heard the word prude used by guys to coerce women or girls (usually mentally) into having sex. It also feeds into this idea that women somehow owe a man sex. While I do not believe that a woman's value is in her virginity, I also don't believe that it should be in her sexuality either, but it seems like the one-sidedness of the conversation about slut-shaming has turned the tables in the other direction, basically removing one sexist idea and replacing it w/another.

Do you see what I'm trying to say? I just want opinions on this topic.
What do you think about virgin-shaming?
3
4