Circumcision, yes or no?

I‘m pregnant and we just found out that it’s a boy. My fiancé and I got into an argument about circumcision. We are not Jewish, so I don’t understand why he wants to do it. He says that most American boys get circumcised and if we do it my way our son will get made fun of. Is it really that important?
I think boys should be able to decide for themselves when they are old enough to understand it.

734

Most Helpful Guy

• Your fiance is incorrect. As of 2010, only 30% of American baby boys were circumcised. The number used to be much higher - 85% were circumcised 25 years ago, which is probably why your fiance believes it's so common.

Bodily integrity is a fundamental right. It's wrong to cut off a functional, protective, sensitive body part without his informed consent. It's your son's penis, and circumcision is his choice, when he's old enough to understand the significant consequences of doing so.

• 6d

O had no idea. Glad to see people have become smart. I read San Francisco actually banned it

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. And fewer and fewer American boys are having it done, so there will be less and less making fun of.

What Guys Said 33

• It’s genital mutilation. There are no medical studies that show benefits. Let him decide for himself once he’s old enough to decide. Your fiancé’s reasoning about the locker room thing does not make sense, if that’s the only reason to maintain it it’s the silliest reasons I ever heard. One day even in the US uncircumcised will be the norm.

• I'm a major promoter of leaving boys intact- especially when there is disagreement between parents. Circumcision can always be done later when your son is old enough to understand and consent to it. It cannot be undone though.

• Removing a bit of useless skin is no different than removing the seemingly useless appendix, certainly not genital mutilation. Leaving it for him to decide when older means he;ll under go more pain at an older age than when first born. I'm certainly glad my parents had me circumcised as I think it's more attractive looking and I haven't had the hygiene issues that some of my uncircumcised buddies have had. I had one girl tell me the only gross smelling dicks she ever encountered were uncircumcised ones, this being the fault of the guy having poor hygiene.

• Finally some come on sense thank you

• @reed454 In that case reed I'm sure glad I'm circumcised as at least I can last long enough to get my woman off, if I had those extra 70,000 nerve endings that were in my foreskin I'd probably blow my load in under 2 minutes instead of the 20 to 30 minutes it takes now.

• this literally makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, you clearly dont know the definition of mutilation. second, its not ''useless'' it produces lubricants so your penis glands stay moisturized, third, most people dont get circumcised and stay intact their ENTIRE lives. Also, hygiene issues? only 2% of uncut babies get infections, while girls lead in infections, does that also give us the right to circumcise girls? Think over your logic

• I've heard the reason (or one of them) for it is health, it's cleaner and guys that aren't often don't clean very well there? I'm neutral on it. I'm circumcised (from birth) and I have no issue with it. I think it looks better to. The two of you should talk to your doctor I think about it and then decide. I know some guys seem to feel very strongly about this subject which I don't really understand why? (and it's usually uncircumcised men I notice that do) I don't feel "mutilated" or anything.

• I personally wouldn't. His reasoning is absurd your kid will receive his fair share of teasing regardless. The health reasons are easily mitigated with good hygiene.

• Unless the baby has phimosis or something like that, it doesn't make sense. It's enough that learns to clean himself properly when he's old enough and there should be no problem.

And well I don't know where are you from but from where I'm from we don't see or care that much about other people penises. If that's the biggest problem he'll face, I think he'll be ok

• Please do NOT do it. It's sick. And just because the kid won't remember it, doesn't mean it's not going to experience one of the worst pains of it's life. Religious or not, there is no reason to cut something off that we were born with unless it's a biological defect like a deformation or combined twins.

• Unless there is a medical condition (phimosis or frenulum breve that a frenuloplasty cannot treat) then don't do this. The supposed benefits are spurious at best and harmful at worst.

• Genital mutilation is bad, no matter if boy or girl. Do not chop off pieces of your baby against its consent.

• No it's child abuse and you risk infection or irreparable damage. More children die in the US from circumcision than measles.
    You need to put your foot down to stop your son's genitals being mutilated.

• Circumcision on a boy is the equivalent of removing a girls clitoris. Never do this

• That's total bullshit!

• It truly is. Honestly Google it for a little bit

• @Chadster you were defending it dude, and that makes you apart of the problem. is a crime any different if I cut your finger off without consent opposed to a arm?

• Hmmm. How about letting him grow and he can decide for himself when he is 15+ years old?

• NOOOOOOOOO he won't be made fun out of...

• That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's not like anyone will be looking at his dick. I'm not circumcised and it's never been a problem for me, as no one has really seen it.
    I also agree they should be allowed to decide.
    Please DON'T do it. There are no proven benefits of it. In fact, it actually causes more harm than good and looks so gross.

• Don't give into the Jewish bait

• It may be too late then medically speaking then ie leave nerve damage but i'm definitly very glad i wasn't there's nerves there and it allows for more movement during sex/less need for lube.

• If there's no medical reason for it then why do it? It's essentially a cosmetic surgery.

• I honestly dont think its important, maybe thats biased since im not circumcised myself, but people do joke about circumcision, so why not do it? Trust me, a cut that will hurt for 1d-1week is worth trying to avoid questions about it, embarrassment for years.

• No its bad.

• Yes unless you want your child to be like why is my dick like this

• Well am not surprised with it decline in the white world and with the white population on Gag I won't expect the answer to be yes

• Has it been scientifically proven to have any significant benefit though.
      There are nerves in the foreskin and it allows for more movement so you do lose something even if youd never know any different.

• It has been proven women enjoy sex more with cuts and its easy for easy penetration and does not need cleaning everytime

• I mean, I'm circumcized and I don't have any problems so I don't see why not... there's gotta be a reason most guys are

• Most guys aren't circumcised outside the us. Its extremely uncommon.

• Well tbh I don't know why guys in the US are circumcised but I don't think circumcision makes any difference

• for medical reasons it's very important.
    and by the way jews weren't who invented it. there were nations doing circumcision many years before jews.

• @PETER122 can you show some medical sources?

• Circumcision may result in a lower incidence of sexually transmitted diseases and may reduce HIV transmission.

. Circumcision may lower the risk for cancer of the cervix in sexual partners. Circumcision may decrease the risk for cancer of the penis. There is still no absolute medical indication for routine circumcision of the newborn.

www.medicinenet.com/.../article.htm

• As long as he can keep himself clean I see no issue with uncircumcised. My son would not have been had he lived

• No...

• No need for that

• it is child abuse, mutilation

your guy has serious mental issues if he wants to cut useful skin off a baby

• Being made fun of because your parents weren't degenerates.
    Never change Amurica.

• Did ur child conset to it?

• Whats it

• I don't understand why those things are still even legal. It's genital mutilation :/

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 6

• Im against circumcision. Its just genital mutilation. And he won't get made fun of by everyone because not everyone should know what his dick looks like anyway. Circumcision is extremely uncommon outside of the us. Most countries do not do it. It started off as a way to help a man keep clean because back in the day we did not habe showers like we do today. there's no reason for it now. It just takes away sexual pleasure from the male.

• it was actually brought in the states and made popular because the maker of kellog cereal who had a large following at the time said masturbation was ''self abuse'' and said to cut the skin to prevent it.

• Sensory pleasure in that region is actually not 100% or even 50% likely to be lost in a circumcision and circumcision does reduce the risk of penile cancer. It also reduced the likelihood of him getting HPV and can reduce the risk of cervical cancer if he has a future girlfriend or wife. None of this is heavy research though. If anything, you can wait and see if it will be medically necessary. If you do decide to do it just request that the baby is given analgesia (pain reliever) for the procedure.

• did you copy and paste this from a zionist site? only 1 in 100,000 males get penile cancer. thats not even 1%, thats not even 0.00000001% this same argument can be used and say ''well since women are prone to breast cancer, we have a right to lob off her breasts at birth for precautionary reasons'' breast cancer by the way, is MUCH more prevalent than rare penile cancer. HPV? wear a CONDOM. its THAT simple. getting your penis mutilated does not stop you from getting STDS and the united states has proven that with being the country with the highest rate of HIV in the entire west yet predominantly being cut. Also, sedatives can NOT be given to a baby in a high amount so whatever small amount is given in the procedure is moot. Seriously, why would you give someone advice like this?

• I wouldn't. I think its getting less common. Its certainly not common in Australia.

• What is that?

• i say yes

• I agree with you. If there's not an actual reason to do it like phimosis then don't. It's painful and reduces sexual pleasure in later life

• This is a bloody lie

• @AlphaStyles you think having to wash your dick is on par with risking literal death?

• ''Not comparable with FGM of course but still wrong''

is it a different crime if I cut your finger off without consent opposed to a arm? They are both crimes of humanity. By the way, in the same countries that practice removing the entire clit, they even split the entire penis in half too.