I didn't have a period for 5 months. Why might this be?

My last period began on July 10th. It is now December 8th (five months later) and I've finally gotten another period. Why might my body skip it for 5 months in a row?

- I'm not pregnant
- I'm not anorexic or underweight
- I've had irregular periods in the past, but never skipped more than two months at a time.

I have an appointment to see a doctor soon that was made a month ago... Just my luck that I have my period now. It's like magic.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• (Under 18)
    Time to ask your doctor if you really want an answer.
    There's no doctor on Gag.

0|0
    0|0
    • It'd be nice if there were though XD

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm also in that case! No matter what they tell you, insist and tell them you want something done. Your body needs to ovulate every month. Otherwise, in the long run, this may affect your fertility and could cause hormonal issues, eg uterus cancer (i dont know the correct term in English my bad). I had the same issue and most doctors kept telling me "it's normal, blabla" until one doctor was so worried and had me undergo tests to see wassup 😂

1|1
    0|0
    • I'm worried the doc will just tell me I'm fine, but I want to get my fertility checked out and know that things are alright. Most healthy people don't go 5 months without ovulating. I just hope whichever doctor I see doesn't tell me the basics of "eat healthy and exercise..." If they start that crap, I'll insist the cause should be looked into.

by the way, did you ever find a cause for yours?

• Yea they offered hormones like, a shot every month or the pill, etc

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Go see a Doctor instead of wasting time here on GAG

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you a drug user? Otherwise I would recommend you just wait till your doctors appointment

0|0
    0|0
    • No I don't use any drugs or birth control or anything

• I would just wait until you have your doctors appointment. I’m guessing you’re low on certain vitamins.

• okay. Thanks.

• LOl... they will probably put you on the pill.

0|0
    0|0
  • congratulations!! 🎈🎈🎉🎉🎊🎊🎊

0|0
    1|0
  • Your body could have been going thou a change

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Sounds like you may have a Thyroid problem. It controls body temp and to a degree your periods. If you have low thyroid it may explain your lack of periods. Since you are going to the doctor you can ask him to run a test for hormonal problems.

1|0
    0|0
  • How old are you? Because when I started my period at 13 I had my first one, then my second came like 3 months later. If it’s because you’re young they might be really irregular because your ovaries aren’t synced up with each other don’t worry it’s nothing serious x

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm almost 18. I started getting periods at age 12. In 2016, I began tracking them, and I can see that they used to be somewhat regular but have been more and more irregular each year. At first, they were regular and normal.

• Oh right... no clue then. Your doctor will help you more than I can

• Alright thank you

• still go to the doctors. could be irregular releasing of hormones in your ovaries.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being younger than 18 your hormones are still going buck wild.

I wouldn’t worry about this unless it becomes a regular thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like hormonal issues, ovaric and thyroid alteration are likely to mess with periods.

0|0
    0|0
  • You may have PCOS or endometriosis

0|0
    0|0
  • PCOS is very common. If you go longer than two months without a period, you need to see a doctor. They will probably want to put you on some sort of hormone therapy. I saw that you are getting an appointment. It’s not the end of the world if it is PCOS. You are so young, your body may get it together by the time you are ready to have kids.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes