I nearly killed my sisters abusive boyfriend today and now she hates me?

Anonymous
I'm a marine and I recently came back home. I'm 21 and my sister is 4 years older than me. I've known for a while now that she's been in an abusive relationship but she also seems to be madly in love with the guy that has been abusing her. I didn't know he was actually hitting her though until today.

I went to see her today and I noticed that she had bruises on her arms and one on her face. I asked her what happened and she said she fell down the stairs. I wasn't buying it and kept asking her to tell me the truth. She finally broke down and told me that he got drunk and hit her during an argument they had. She begged me to just let it go but how could I do such a thing? My sister is all I have. We lost our parents when we were kids and she pretty much raised me. And now I was supposed to just ignore the fact that an abusive asshole has been using her as a punching bag for stress relief? Oh no.

I was planning on just talking to the guy but unfortunately for him he came home from work while I was still there and things got out of control pretty fast. I happened to be in the bathroom when he came so he didn't know I was there. He had seen my shoes and instantly started calling my sister a whore and yelling at her. I was still in the bathroom when I heard the yelling but I came out pretty f***ing fast, and just in time to see him punch my sister.

I f***ing lost it. No control. I beat the sh*t out of him and I probably would have killed him if my sister didn't stop me. My sister started crying and called me a monster. I've been hurt before but no physical pain can match what I felt when I saw the look on my sisters face. I've never seen her like that. She looked so terrified and it really hurts to know that I was the cause of that. What else could I have done? Sit there and talk things out after I saw him HIT my sister right in front of me? I tried to comfort my sister after but she told me she never wanted to see me again.

I couldn't care less about the guy, in fact I would do it again if I could, but I'm scared that I lost my sister. I left after she said she never wanted to see me again so I don't even know what happened. I'm expecting the police at my door soon but honestly I could care less. I'm just worried for my sister. She hates me right now and I don't know if she'll ever forgive me.

6
12