Songs Banned in Germany (for Educational Purposes Only)

Before you read this take, just remember that I don't support neo nazism(far right) or Communism(far left). This take is meant to be a guide for those who ever plan on visiting Germany. I haven't visited Geemany yet but I do have friends who visited it. Any banned songs that are played for political purposes(glorifying the third reich) or just for fun in Germany can result in the person going to prison for 3 years. The only way you can play the songs without getting in trouble is if it's for educational purposes.

1.) Die Fahne hoch (Raise the flag)

The main anthem of the NSDAP (national socialist worker's party) it's the most notorious song in Germany.

2.) Sieg heil Viktoria (hail victory Victoria)

A Nazi song that is also a battle song. It doesn't directly reference the Nazi party but since it was composed for the Waffen SS and it constantly mentions the phrase "sieg heil" it is banned.

3.) Flieg Deutsche Fahne flieg (fly German flag fly)

A song that was used by the third reich. It makes references to the führer(Hitler) and how they will bring forth a "new era".

4.) Vorwärts Vorwärts (Onwards onwards)

The main song used by the HitlerJugend(Hitler Youth) which were basically militant Boy Scouts.

5.) Vorwärts nach osten (Onwards to the East)

A Song referring to the Eastern Front of WWII, the part that most likely got the song banned was the part that mentions Hitler giving orders and the soldiers following him.

6.) Volk ans gewehr (People to arms)

A song adopted by the Volksturm(German militia) near the end of the war. It makes references to Hitler and it also has a anti Semitic reference.

7.) Deutschland Erwache (Germany awake)

A song used by the Nazi party, it makes references to the Nazi party and it has anti Semitic references.

8.) Kampflied der national socialitzen (Fight song of the national socialists)

The name itself is good enough to get it banned. It's a combat song used by the Nazi party.

9.) SS marschiert in Feindesland (SS marches in enemy territory)

A song used by the Waffen SS. The song makes references to Hitler. The Lyrics might be banned but the melody is still used by the German army today but with different lyrics.

There are many songs that are banned in Germany but these are some of the most recognizable ones.

1128
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Girl

• One of my great (maybe great great great) uncles was a president of Germany, so now I'm wondering if he banned any of these songs... lol

This certainly is interesting and I didn't know they banned so many songs. I've heard some schools in Germany teach that the Holocaust never happened. I get that the history isn't glorious, but that doesn't change what happened, and ultimately doesn't help you move on as a country

Personally I think this is similar to everyone complaining about Confederate monuments in America. Destroying evidence of history doesn't change history and only proves you're intolerant yourself and everything you accuse the other guy of being. (Mind you the Confederate flag wasn't flown much during the Civil War and is a retroactive monument)

That said, I do understand the ban on these songs, but I think jail time is excessive, especially if people can prove they don't have any radical ideology or terrorism plots

• What year was your great uncle a president in Germany? Was his name Otto Von Bismarck or Paul Von Hindenburg?

• After WW2, but I think it was only for a couple years. He didn't do much from what I've heard, and he wasn't a famous president

No he wasn't

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 10

• Oh sorry no... no, no no. I just read further. You honestly should be removed from this site for this post.

Very least you shouldn't be an influencer.

I think you mean well but you missed out on a whole part of a history lesson.

Being from Eastern culture I'm hoping you don't know about WWI m, German poverty and the rise of nationalism leading up to WWII in Germany that led to the gas chambers and mass graves.

Not something we want to revisit.

• Why should he be banned for this post? I thought it was interesting because I didn't know about about any of this. So should we ban history and knowledge? #justasking

• Looks like you missed the point of this post.

• @Sjoes006 In case you didn't read carefully, this take is simply a list of songs that are banned in Germany. It's not a political statement, I made that very clear at the beginning of this take.

• Interesting! I didn't know about this

• It's really good and interesting

• I think that Germany has gone to far with these bannings, but they should teach about what happen so it won't happen again

• Germany is my homecountry, but I do not approve one bit.

• He's reminding us of the past error of ways of you read the first sentence of his post.

This is much needed guidance and support from Deutschland.

Merkel is picking up the shipwreck that is Western politics. My French is good but my German not so much, you call her mother of somekind that is warm and comforting.

She is that to me.. she's a security blanket. She's the anchor of Western Civilization.

The poster is saying this is the past we don't want to repeat, America be warned.

• As a German myself I have never even heared of this and assuming no one now even knows one of this "songs" you would not go to prison but society would laugh at you for listening to "songs" this way
    who in the world would even want to listen to this "songs"? They are older then my grand grandma
    Not even the elder generation would listen to that freely, more Mozart and all

• It's nonsense people should be able to listen any song they wish

• Just remember, they played those song while murdering 20 milion innocent people.

• Just crazy

• Interesting

• Ironically, Nazi Germany was fond of censorship and banning things too... I don't see how banning a song is going to prevent atrocities from happening again. That's pretty stupid but, whatever.

What Guys Said 27

• By making it a crime to own a copy of these songs, or perform them, or even parodies of them, Germany proves it didn't actually learn its lesson. It merely decided to scrub its timeline of a failed attempt at the Roman Disease it never truly repented of, since that one failed attempt has become a source of shame by way of its failure.

And yet, Merkel has let pirates from the whole world turn neighborhoods into war zones, while imprisoning teenage girls that complain about how they are fearful of being raped.

Germany simply replaced one type of tyrant with another type.

• It's ridiculous honestly, with all the banning they're doing you'd think they were trying to erase from the history books that Nazi's even existed.

They need to stop trying to hide the past, because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

• Authoritarianism is in their culture and possibly their DNA. My German mother said Germany is either on its knees or at your throat. Presently they are helpless against the Islamic invasion because they have been on their knees since Nuremberg. Ain't a Rommel among them. But they are still into telling their people what (not) to do.

• My great uncle was told that same adage by his father, in the 1930s.

Been a while since I thought of that.

• I am part Jewish and even I say that Germany has gone way too far with the Nazi hate speech laws (I don't really condone any hate speech laws). A drunk tourist makes a Nazi salute probably in mockery and he risks three years in prison.

• yup i as a german even need a proxy to watch those on youtube. cause apparently watching those videos makes you guilty of hate crime and sedition here XD

• Very nice mytake!
    Ironically I am currently on a German VPN and listen to those songs xD

You know such policies like banning these most historically iconic nazi germany songs and plenty of other laws are the reason why I dislike my own country. When I was in germany I don't remember we were taught about WW2 and nazi germany. I suppose the german government has banned those also.

Germany is an awesome country but it's government and inadequate censorship ruins it.

• German censorship is just crazy.

• Interesting

• I bet there's no DDR songs banned xD

• I knew about some of the songs on that list, but not about most of them.

I'd like to thank you for expanding my horizons, I found this very interesting.

• Thanks for sharing!

• Never knew about this

• Sounds like a good list to be banned. The Gernan government does not want any type of media glorifying Hitler's reign so I can see why they are banned.

• Russia should ban any song in support of communism, and Israel should ban any song in support of the same type of jew-supremacy that inspired the jew bolsheviks to commit the Ukrainian Holocaust (aka the Holodomor).

• If the ideology of the current regime was valid it would not have to deny the people knowledge of what came before.
      National Socialism worked. The current globalist-controlled degenerate latter-day Weimar state is murdering the German people through population replacement and encouraging miscegenation.

• Informative

• In any other country I'd say it's bullshit to ban a song, but considering what German did twice within the 20th century I'd say we should keep an eye on the people there.

• Historically Germany got dragged into WWI. They didn't start it.

• They dragged themselves into it. They wanted to be a part of it just as much as France wanted to be a part of WW1.

• Had archduke Ferdinand not have been assassinated then perhaps WWI would not have started.

• interesting

• Hail victory!

• you think it's to hide the past?

• Interesting, but I'm not gonna listen to them, in case I end up being on kill lists for MI5, FBI, BND, Stasi, KGB etc...

Simples...

• Nazi murderers shit, all of that.

• True but the Soviets weren't any better.

• Just deflecting attention thus.

• Nope, I clearly said that I don't sympathize with either nazism or communism.

• More from Guys
    7