Changing my Western Worldview Helped me Stop the Objectification of Women

I had always thought of myself as an egalitarian seeing that women are men’s equals I grew up in an environment seeing that as the norm.

In the past I would compliment a girl I know saying she looks good today since I observe she has put on extra effort compared to normal and wanting to be friendly. Harmless at first it seems but I am reinforcing societies view on conformity of how to look creating a object-subject relationship and also increased body anxiety, heightened mental health threats (depression, anorexia nervosa, bulimia, and sexual dysfunction), Vice-versa for men being complimented by women.

People define “objectification,” most of which centre around the idea of treating another person as a means to an end, without being conscious of their feelings and goals and preferences. I’ve always felt this is an odd definition for two reasons.

First, it seems like an incomplete definition, in that there are many cases that match that definition perfectly but which no one would call instances of objectification.

Second, if objectification is “using someone as a means to an end,” it isn’t clear why objectification is inherently bad, even though the word typically carries a strong connotation of condemnation. After all, we all use each other as means to an end all the time!

When I order pizza, I’m treating the delivery guy as a means to the end of getting a pizza. I’m not really thinking about his feelings or goals — and I don’t think he expects or particularly wants me to be.

Objectification’s not necessarily a problem at the individual level. When Person A uses Person B as a means to an end, as long as B’s not being harmed, then it’s ethically unproblematic (at least for those utilitarian-minded folks). The tricky thing is that when you have a lot of A’s systematically treating a lot of B’s as a means to an end in the same kind of way, it can start to become a problem. Because at that scale, it can affect the way A’s and B’s think about each other — people’s attitudes are influenced by the way the people around them think and act. So it can have this self-reinforcing ripple effect that ends up stifling other kinds of interactions and relationships that many A’s and B’s would’ve found fulfilling.

Another analogy would be pollution if there are many who already pollute then one more person doing it wouldn`t matter but when you multiply this individualistic mentality you have the whole issue of global warming in front of you.

This theme of utilitarianism and how it is related to being an individual and living an authentic experience can be best appreciated in German philospher Heidegger’s (video).

Where does this objectification come from?

Objectification when converted into gratification is only a short buzz and serve as an ego boost.

In psycho-analytics the need of object driven gratification becomes the drive between the inner and outer world and boundaries first drawn at early childhood. The shape in how this ego takes form is in sensory and motoraffective experiences. When the infant loses the nipple other object are needed to suckle those are typically rocks toys etc. New objects are constantly searched for.

The ego-duality is especially potent in the western worldview and knowing about the problem the solution seems to be in escaping the illusion of the simplistic dualistic thinking. In everyday terminology the best way of thinking of this would be ‘othering’.

René Descartes who gave dualism its classical formulation. Beginning from his famous Cogito, ergo sum (Latin: “I think, therefore I am”). Good thing this being made redundant now as it causes issues like how to explain how immaterial mind can causally influence the physicochemical processes going on in my material brain.

Solution was in non-dualism

My fav argument against dualism there are no straight lines in nature.

The last remnants of subconscious objectification also have to go the most mulish part.This video greatly explains non-dualism.

Objectification also goes to inanimate objects as well as women objectifying men.

Lets not forget that.

TL;DR Western dualism with its false dichotomies creates an object-subject illusion which make it harder to not objectify humans and sometimes dehumanize others creating a false notion of self. And is the root of social conflicts like battle of the sexes, countries, beliefs etc.

1022

Most Helpful Girl

• How come African tribe women who walk about near naked don't get sexualised but a woman in a bikini here does? When you see a programme on African tribes does anyone have sexual thoughts over her bare breasts? No they don't so I don't understand why in the west it's seen as sexual

• That's because those girls are really ugly, if one of them were particularly good looking with a nice rack, guys will still think of it sexually.

• Because we actually appreciate the female body?

• It's because that is how it has always been for that tribe since the creation of that tribe. It is as if they have clothing on. It would be more odd if they had clothing on since it's so hot there and probably feels very uncomfortable to have clothing on if you've never worn any since forever.

Here, it's ingrained in our society to be clothed, as much as possible. Hell a full length bathing suite was taboo and scene as too revealing. Even when we go to bed, we wear clothes (well usually). Some have taken up the naturalistic approach, but the majority are still of the mind that a naked body is something to be private. As such, any kind of skin with this mentality is sexually heightened just by the fact that it is taken away for so long. I remember even in high school, having a skirt above the knees wasn't allowed. Now, fucking junior high girls are wearing short skirts shorter than my boxer briefs. It's all perspective of culture and environment.

Most Helpful Guy

• I really like that video of Nonduality. It is really what our soul is and is why it is said that we never really die, just our vessels. That is why I can't fathom utter hatred for someone without reason, just from looks or how they live their life. As well, I can't understand how people feel they are better than the rest if they have accumulated materialistic wealth or their image is more appealing to others. That shit can easily be taken away, then you're left with who you are internally. Isn't that of more value? Even in other societies when their outward appearance is covered or tried to be taken out of the equation, even solves the issue, since material and religious importance is still involved in determining who is more valuable in that society. Value is pretty much irrelevant really, in the grand scheme of things, as in, how much material value we can offer another person. What is of value is our consciousness and how we connect. If you don't value your "self" or your consciousness, how can you possibly value anything really? That must be a very lonely existence.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 9

• at the end of the day... men need babies to 'help work the farm'. women also need babies for similar obvious reasons. men and women need each other- and men and women need babies. establishing an understanding of needs and prioritizing them allows all creatures to prioritize their time to do what is necessary to meet their needs. and in the case of a roguish adventuring bachelor- nature has instilled a passionate animal-like need for sex in men so strong that even if they don't feel they need a family- they will still try to satisfy their need for sex. this is how nature keeps the human race from dying out. it's not a particularly difficult concept really but brainy elitists try to win the darwin award and remove themselves from the gene pool.

consider for a minute the ramifications of men trying to be polite and not objectify women by telling them they are attractive. women will stop trying to attract men. when men aren't attracted to women, they stop having sex. when men stop having sex, babies stop being born. when babies stop being born, there are no more humans. i don't believe the human race is ready yet to experiment and see what the universe would be like without humans. we would much prefer for things to keep going as they have been with humans around. people are objects. i have a uterus. it can produce babies. there is a man somewhere who wants to make babies. i can do that. it's not wrong for him to 'use me' in that capacity so long as it's both what we want. in fact, if i love the man i very much want him to 'use me' in that capacity- preferably every night.

• I rather be objectified and thought of as a sexual person women want than just a pretty face and cute and have a good head on my shoulders. Yeah, I know I have a good head on my shoulders, what about the head between my legs. It needs attention!!!

• @Intraluminal LOL a guy hey? I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem finding a guy. But I'm pretty partial to my heterosexual lifestyle and am not too fond of cock. So I think I'll try my chances with the females thanks.

• Ooops sorry, thought that last comment to jennyPuss was directed at me.

• Interesting Take :)

• too deep philosophy for gag dude. not many will appreciate it. indeed nature doesn't deal in dualities thats why einstein and his relativity and the mainstream light theory are crap.
    also applies in human relationships as you've shown here.

• Too deep philosophy for Gag , indeed.

• Give that chimpanzee a number of billions of years and it may happen.

• @jacquesvol and thats mainstream insanity thinking for you. anyway. jacques i will wholeheartedely ask from you to not leave any other comments here. i'll take the discussion with FreedomByChoice in private messaging as well.

• Very awesome take! Great job 🙂

• he idea of treating another person as a means to an end, without being conscious of their feelings and goals and preferences.

ie capitalism. i appreciate the effort but theoretically, i don't see people being treated above the world view of their society. no matter how hard some individuals try.

cool read though :)

• Uh, okay I guess. Had I been able to understand any of that, I'd probably be able to give a worthwhile opinion.

• Oh my goodness

• Heidegger and post- structuralist /moderinists etc. that say shit like that (non-dualism bla bla) are from the West. Ironic huh.

• Very interesting

What Guys Said 21

• I think it's impossible to interact with anyone without that person becoming a means to an end. However in your example of the pizza delivery person, that delivery person is also indirectly using you as a means to an end. Your purchase of that pizza, plus your tip, is providing them with financial gain.

In a relationship between men and women, hopefully each provides something to the other, and takes something from the other. In an ideal world this would be a perfectly symbiotic relationship. Of course we know that's usually not going to work out exactly. Someone is always going to be taking more than they're giving. Is there anything inherently wrong with that though?

• Platinum rule- would be a best fit for it accomodates wishes and since it is a rule it reverses to the doer as well.

• Please FOAD. Women objectify men just as much as men do it to them. Hell girls probably do it MORE, since men only objectify women physically but women also objectify men for what they can get out of them (safety/protection, money, fixing their car, giving them the attention they so desperately desire, etc.)

When women routinely date men shorter than them and stop saying "6'2" or taller only", then you can bitch in a wordy and pretentious manner. Until then, stop it.

• It's as simple as this, women are innately biological sex objects, shit even "straight"(there is no such thing as a straight women) women are more aroused by the female body than the male body (look up Dr Meridith Chivers research. Why? because 1% of men can knock up 100% of women, thus women have far more sexual value and most men are superfluous to reproduction.

• Thanks for sharing

• well at least you aren't one sided about this and downing one group. I also like the philosophy

• Nice take

• I'm all for being open minded and there is definitely something behind your words. A message, that I can decipher by half. Thought I'd just leave it here for you.

But in the end of the day we are all humans.

• Essence exists even if we are not always clear what it is. The Existentialist philosophy you speak of is actually quite western (besides being wrong).

• The ontological essence has a solution in the theory of Forms en.wikipedia.org/.../Theory_of_Forms

I used Heidegger’s authenticity as a reference point only.

• Science I believe does demonstrate that essence proceeds existence, not the other way around. A hand is a hand, made for grasping.

• Yes essence preceds existence how the conciousness acts on the brain can be seen in quantum vibraton inside microtubles in brain cells the proposal is that they somehow are influenced by space-geometry,
      (https://www. elsevier. com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/discovery-of-quantum-vibrations-in-microtubules-inside-brain-neurons-corroborates-controversial-20-year-old-theory-of-consciousness)

• When did women stop becoming objects? The laws of physics be damned!

• This shit is dumb.

• Wha? As my eyes glaze over... LOL

• 😊😊

• Thank You

• Interesting

• It goes back to the Western abandonment of Christendom.

• Sigh. Yes, and no. Mostly no.

• what a load of BS :)

• I don't think I agree with this.

• Wow! I will have to put some thought to this one! Very deep!

• You really think that I'm gonna read all this an answer you 😂😂😂😂

• More from Guys
    1