Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...

We constantly hear the phrase from women that we are always objectified by men. We hear about how wrong and degrading it is. However, as a woman, I can say myself that just as many men are objectified by women too. This is not something that only affects one sex. Both men and women can be objectified, judged for their looks, and sexualized. So why does it seem that it's only an issue when it's happening to women? Let's not be hypocrites. If we want to stop the objectification of women, we need to also stop the objectification of men too. It's only fair...right?

As I'm sure all of you are aware, hurricane Irma recently caused massive devastation in Florida. In response to the disaster, the Gainesville Police Department uploaded a photo of several officers who would be working to do cleanup and rescue efforts.

What they didn't expect, however, was the overwhelming amount of sexual comments they would receive from women about the specific men in the photo. I think it's safe to say that this post "broke the internet." Here are just a few of the thousands of comments they received:

Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...

Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...Think Men Aren't Sexually Objectified by Women? Think Again...

Of course, there were also comments from both men and women mentioning the double standard...

I for one, have to agree with the latter statements. If this was an image of three professional female officers and it were men making crude comments, I imagine there would be a huge outcry from women. If we are going to say it's bad to objectify or make sexual comments towards women, we have to hold ourselves to that same standard and avoid treating men the same way. Otherwise, how can you expect anyone to take your concerns seriously?

So, what's your opinion? Is objectification inherently wrong and if so, should it apply to both men and women? If you are a feminist, do the sexual comments by the ladies above bother you? Share your opinions below!

2584
scarlett is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I bet most women who support this would just sweep it under the rug with something like, "but men do it more so it doesn't matter!"

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• This is nothing new. If you vist the IG accounts of most male athletes, musicians, actors etc... you'll these type of comments. I remember last year, Julian Edelman from the New England Patriots held a woman's camp. He took a picture with some of the women and posted it on his IG page. In the comments, a few of the women who were in the picture were saying stuff like " I cupped a feel", "I didn't get a touch" yet no one seem outrage. The women were literally admitting to sexual assault, and the funny think was, this happen around the time of the Trump "grab her by the pussy " tape when people were losing their minds.

So there is a double standard with sexual objectification.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 83

• Yes, this happens a lot more than people think but most people refuse to talk about this because it's not "politically correct". If a guy complains about this, he is almost instantly assumed to be "playing for the other team". This is something that needs to be discussed more often. Thanks for writing this.

• Of course men objectify women, and women objectify men. And it's not just about sex and sexuality, it's about a wide number of different things. You don't think that a woman objectifies a male plumber when he comes over to fix her sink?

Men objectify women sexually because we're driven to by biology, our body reacts involuntarily to beauty and markers of sexuality, pupils dilate, heart rate increases, increased sweating, increased anxiety, etc...

Women objectify men, they look at men for their status and utility, in fact women are far more choosy about their intimate partners than men are.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the above, it's how the human race survived and engaged in pair bonding and mating for millions of years that allowed us to evolve. The problem has been the radical 3rd wave feminists who have whined on and on about how facts of reality, such as men are sexually attracted to women, is somehow a problem that needs to be stamped out.

Just because we sometimes see the utility in each other doesn't mean that's ALL we see, it's just sometimes that's what we care about in the moment. The idea that feminists will unprogram millions of years of evolutionary history by being shrill and irrational is so painfully stupid, words don't even begin to describe it.

• I dont' really care about male sexualization because I don't really care about female sexualization. I do it quite liberally and gratuitously depending on who I'm around to be quite honest. But, I do wholeheartedly agree that if we can't sexualize you guys, you can't sexualize us, lest y'all be raging hypocrites. So in conclusion, we should all sexualize eachother. The end.

• I agree, I don't see sexualization as a major problem and don't really care when anyone does it. I just know that tons of women find it disgusting yet many of those women then turn around and do the same thing to men. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of it all.

• Ya I can't stand those sorts of chicks. Hypocrisy is such a turn off

• Women are so much more classy and creative with it tho.

"Be careful ladies... hang out with these guys and that thin blue line just might be on the pregnancy test" yo that is hilarious 😂😂

We all objectify eachother so what's the harm?

• Wow. Doesn't surprise me too much, but usually it isn't so apparent and especially not called out. I noticed also the "fuck the police" comment got over 10000 likes. Meanwhile, 3/4 of the guys got over 100 likes. That one f the police comment in particular getting the most likes paints a good pic. These officers may be married. Imagine the awkwardness. Also, one thing if these gals mentioned their actual good will BEFORE the looks, but NO, they didn't even consider the part of the good will. Nothing. Just looks. I had a feeling many girls were more shallow than people think and this may prove a lot. Just makes me more confident in being single. can't stand the looks based attraction shit of today. Not gonna worry much about it. I work my ass off standing my ground and staring them down when my roommates catcall and shit. But its not making it easier to persuade them not to if girls are gonna do similar shit! I can actually see a society in the future when men are more sexualized. If that means girls and guys are on a more even playing feild, fine, but that doesn't advance society. Society will advance when looks dont matter at all and only brain and heart do. Cause looks can change easy. Brain and heart often not so much.

• More from Guys
    78

What Girls Said 24

• I agree.
    If it had happened to 3 police women, feminists would be bitching how women aren't taken seriously in the workforce as well as probably find someway to bring up the bullshit, non existent wage gap.

• Sure they are, no one says they don't. But it's far less then women. Not that it's a competition. If you look at it even girls considered unattractive are objectified more than a guy who's just average. Both sexes have their own struggles and most we share, but one sex usually gets it to a larger proportion. For instance men and women commit suicide, but there's an overwhelming majority of men suffering from depression leading to kill themselves more than wome.

• "even girls considered unattractive are objectified more than a guy who's just average"

That's just proves average men have it much difficult than average or ugly women.

• @shortguyloser True. I think for women it's more the psychological image they create of the guy in their head.

Not to say that they don't like a guy with a symmetric face, but the body and appearance isn't as important to them. For us men, attractiveness is more about visual stimuli with 'less' emphasis on status and image.

• the ''men are visual'' tests didn't even test 0.000000001% of the general population. Cyber scientists make me laugh all the time. whats next, will you talk about the left and right side of the brain and which gender uses it more?

• media.giphy.com/media/3h5pe45FM9qUM/giphy.gif
    First of all, there's a difference between objectifying and sexualising.

Sexualization (or sexualisation) is to make something sexual in character or quality, or to become aware of sexuality

objectification - the action of degrading someone to the status of a mere object.

The difference should be painfully obvious to everyone. And what you're talking about is sexualisation not objectification

Second of all, who is saying men aren't objectified? I don't think that's most people. Most people might say men are less objectified on a daily basis but I don't think I've ever heard someone say they think men are not objectified at all

• dude does it really men if they are sexualised or objectified? women are literally saying we want to fuck them and we want to see them naked

• @Z-Spark Actually, women like rich men because it means they're successful and powerful and stuff, and that literally makes the men seem more attractive to them so liking them for their money counts as actually liking them. You guys were talking about rich men with lots of money, right?

• I agree with op owner however I think the choosing thing is fucked up you should be with someone because you like them not because of what they can give you or they are more of a family man hence the choosing

• some of those comments are disgusting 😷 I'm aware that women do sexually objectify and harass but I am not one of them.

• Honestly, I don't like double standards, but I think people should be able to express attraction. And that's all this is. I know some people are offended by objectification but is it really wrong? I mean if it happened to me I'd take it as a compliment!

• More from Girls
    19