Children saved from Nazis by British Hero- Sir Nicholas Winton

I read an inspiring article this morning that gave me hope and reminded me that despite the fact that there are and has been many evil people in the world, there are just as many good people who strive to make a positive change in this world. Mytake is about a remarkable man called Nicolas Winton who risked everything to save the lives of others---- This is his story.

Nicolas Winton organised a rescue mission that saved approximately 669 children, mostly Jewish, from Czechoslovakia in Great Britain before the outbreak of the Second World War.

Name: Nicolas Winton

Born:19 May 1909, Hampstead, United Kingdom

Died: 1 July 2015, Slough, United Kingdom

Nationality: British

How the idea of a rescue mission formed

In December 1938, Martin Blake, a friend of Wintons' and an associate of the British Committee for Refugees from Czechoslovakia, gave him a call and asked for his help. Winton cancelled his Ski vacation and went down to help out, as he knew as well as everyone else did that a war was approaching.

Blake arranged for Winton to visit refugee camps filled to capacity with Jews and political opponents of the Nazis. Winton was stunned by the amount of violence that the Jewish community in Germany and other areas occupied by Germany was facing. It was the Kristallnacht riots in November 1938 that shocked Winton to the point that knew he had to do something immediately.

Kristallnacht, "The Night of Broken Glass" when Nazis violently attacked the Jewish community. Shards of shattered glass lined German streets —broken glass from the windows of synagogues, homes, and Jewish-owned businesses destroyed during the violence.

Planning the rescue mission

Winton got a small group of people together and came up with a plan to rescue the children out of Czechoslovakia. He used his Hotel room in Prague as an office and began taking applications from parents. Thousand of parents came to Winton begging him to save their children from the Nazis.

He returned to Britain where he finalized the plan on that end. Winton and his team persuaded British custom officials to allow all the children in despite incomplete documentation. The officials would only allow this providing :

1. The travel expenses of the children were paid

2. 50 pounds per child was paid

3. British families willing to take care of the refugee children have been found.

Winton placed adds with photos of the children in British newspapers and personally paid for all expenses that weren't being covered by sponsors.

During the day Winton still worked at his regular job on the Stock Exchange and commited his evenings to his rescue mission.

The rescue mission

On March 14, 1939, just hours before Adolph Hitler and the German Nazis took Czechoslovakia, the first train carrying Winton's rescued children left the country. Over the course of the next five months Winton and his team organized seven other successful evacuation trains. In all, 669 children made it to safety.Some of the children Winton saved can be seen in the picture below.

Being Humble

Winton never told anyone about the work he had done and about the lives he had saved.Not even his longtime wife, Grete Gjelstrup, whom he'd married in 1948 and had three children with.

In 1988, his wife stumbled across an old scrapbook stuffed with letters, pictures and travel documents. With Wintons permissions, she handed the scrapbook over to a Holocaust historian.

His story was published over and over again and everyone wanted to meet with this extradanary man.

He met with and received many letters over the years from children whom he saved.

Over the course of many interviews, Winton was asked why he did what he did. His answers were always answered in a humble manner:

"One saw the problem there, that a lot of these children were in danger, and you had to get them to what was called a safe haven, and there was no organization to do that," he told The New York Times in 2001."Why did I do it? Why do people do different things. Some people revel in taking risks, and some go through life taking no risks at all."

Sir Nicholas Winton died in Slough, England, on July 1, 2015. He will always be remembered as a great hero.

917

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• good take and Do u know Sugihara Chiune and Higuchi Kiichiro? they r great, too.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 16

• I think there is a video of those children as adults getting to meet him! Was a surprise too! Look it up on youtube!

• Nicholas Winton, just another typical jew liar.
    "Refugees" in a country that wasn't even at war and then blames Germany for what the jews suffered during the war. A war that was started by his home country Great Britain while in Germany few years earlier Adolf Hitler was discussing with the German Zionist Comittee the creation of Israel and eventual migration of all European jews to their ancient homeland. But Jews like Winton in Great Britain had other considerations. They wanted to see Europe burn and turn their own people into victims so they can turn their dead into an unlimited ATM that gives them money to this day.

• You don't know what you are talking about... There is soo much wrong with your paragraph that I don't even know where to begin !! It almost sounds like you're siding with Hitler and the Nazis. Sir Winton saved hundreds of lives - he is a hero.

• "A war that was started by his home country Great Britain"

So you call Germany invading Poland and Czechoslovakia unprovoked... what?

• @rocksongwriter poland was jerman territory before world war 1. Remember this, those world wars were caused by money greedy fiends that wanted to tear Europe apart. Great britan is the one who gave funds to hitler, sir nicholas winton was only in that area for three weeks, he does NOT deserve the same credit as he has said himself, his good doings are very exaggerated and his credit sadly overshadowed the others. The real people who have made efforts and have spent MONTHS behind enemy lines, had warrants for their arrests were the people of the British Committee for Refugees from Czechoslovakia. They were doing this before him, continued to do so for months and have even saved ANYONE no matter their backround. Why did he only save jewish people? are you aware of how they treated liberals, socialists ect? people like Trevor Chadwick, Doreen Warriner and many others are the REAL heros.

• People like Trevor Chadwick and Doreen Warrine are the real heors. Nicholas was only there for three weeks, and only saved jewish children. Imagine being in a country before being invaded, and being denied an escape because you are not jewish. Jewish people WERE NOT the only people who were executed, tutored, and put in jail. Do you know how the jermans treated liberals? real socialists? the disabled, the elderly? or people for ANY other group who did not align themselves with the third riech? people like Trevor Chadwick and Doreen Warrine spent months behind enemy lines saving thousands of jewish AND non jewish people and even did so during the war and had warrants out for their arrest.. They did not care what group they were, they just knew the obvious fact that even if you werent jewish, you had NO purpose in being in a war zone against two armies going at it. cool, he ONLY wanted to save jewish children, what about the other children who WERENT jewish? Thats like me going to syria, and only saving shia muslims

• Interesting Take

• That man is the real definition of a hero, things like that make me feel warm inside, knowing that there are real humans in a world full of monsters, think about the chances he gave to those little people, i wish his soul is happy wherever it is

• "Winton and his team persuaded British custom officials to allow all the children in despite incomplete documentation. "
    Kind of DACA thus.

• A truly great man.

• Great story - I have an inkling I might have heard his story around the time he died - Yeah I am sure there are many unsung heroes/heroines out there with similar tales.

• Just brought back my faith in humanity

• I've seen this in several articles across the web, so I've heard about this man before,
    but this consolidation of information about him makes this a very good take and I enjoyed reading about this again! Thank you.

• Long live the British Hero of World War II.

• good.

• Wow, he lived not too far from me wtf

• I know, I was one of the children saved by him.

• Judging by your age ,, you're wayyyyy to young 😂 Keep dreaming

• I traveled back in time to before the time when I existed and then before the time when the turkey was cooked. For I am the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas past from the future.

• Wonderful and moving! True hero!

• Inspiring take

What Girls Said 8

• I had never heard of this guy before.

• Me neither before I read that article. I'm glad I know about this inspirational man now.

• He was ethnically Jewish.

At least mention it, before you remind us "poor Jews" how 'kind and generous' you've always been to us.
    izquotes.com/.../...ill-albert-einstein-305326.jpg

• My goodness. That's exactly how racists are! Einstein sure was ahead of his time. Great post.

• "You could also piss off."

Wow, I was just asking you to cite your sources. No reason to get nasty.

• @rocksongwriter I guess the point is that you can always do your own research before questioning someone else.

• This post was needed when everyone forgot that people can be nice :') thank you!

• He saved me.

• interesting

• nazis this nazis that. the west has been stupified by zionist liberal marxist propaganda. hollywood concentrates only on this. yeah black fascism was terrible but what about the even more horrendous red fascism of the east? i'm talking about communism of course. the horror that began after the "october revolution". that slaughtered more than 80 million lifes during its reign of terror.

• Cold war propaganda

• @jacquesvol didn't make you any smarter or less ignorant though. but its ok, even or people don't know their history, what to expect from a stranger... .

• I know history quite well. Well enough to be immune to propaganda and to spot it when its posted.

• Interesting I didn't know this

• What a great man