My Opinion on California (a Review)

I’ve lived in California my whole life, I’ve seen society here change every once in a while. While California is a great state, there are things that could improve, while other things are already perfect.

1.) It’s very diverse in all aspects

Yes, California is diverse in race, ethnicities, religion, sexual orientation and politics. In one part of a city, you’ll see it dominated by Hispanics, in another part by Asians and so on. While liberalism is definitely the dominant political stance, there are still people with different political views. You’ll also see Catholic Churches, Buddhist temples, Sikh temples etc.

2.) Weather is overrated

A lot of people claim California has the best weather. Well, I disagree. If you live in Mammoth, Yosemite or Big bear, I agree since it’s almost always cold there. However, here in Los Angeles the weather is usually humid. It only gets cold in the Winter.

3.) Too liberal

While I don’t think moderate liberalism is bad, California is extreme left wing. It becomes a problem when colleges and schools(administration, instructors) have a bias towards left wingers. I’m centrist/independent but I notice that Conservative students have to limit their free speech or risk getting kicked out of class for expressing their points of view. Not all instructors are left wingers though, some are centrist, apolitical or conservative.

Feminism is dominant. While not every woman identifies as a feminist, a large portion of Californian women have some sympathy towards feminism. Since I don’t agree with feminism, I have to be extra careful when communicating with females here in California.

The far left in California neglects Conservatives, Christians, straight males, Asians and whites.

Probably one of the main reasons why California has so much notoriety, is because of it’s strict gun control laws that prohibits Open carry. While California does have a castle doctrine, a person can still get in legal trouble for defending themselves.

This is one of the reasons, I’ve been thinking about moving to Wisconsin in the future.

4.) Earthquake risks

Due to California being on the ring of fire, California is prone to Earthquakes especially the infamous “Big one” which is a powerful Earthquake said to be caused by the San Andreas fault. California has many smaller faults scattered throughout the entire state. However, while all of Western California would be affected by the big one, Northern California is said be the area that will receive the worst of the “Big one”. Thankfully there are no faults in the city I live in but that doesn’t mean my city is safe from Earthquakes. This is another reason why I might move to Wisconsin in the near future. I don’t want my family and I to be in California if or when the “big one” hits.

5.) Paradise locations

Despite the negative factors, Eastern California has two very beautiful locations known as Mammoth and Yosemite. Mammoth is a cold, forestry region that has lakes, rivers, streams and lots of mountains and is very close to Nevada. Yosemite is a national park. Southern California also has a nice cold forestry region called Big bear. These locations make California worth visiting, when I was younger, I didn’t know how to appreciate nature but now that I’m a young adult, I definitely enjoy visiting these places. I believe these places should be preserved. 2 pictures of mammoth are below

6.) Expensive

If you plan on making California your permanent home, just keep in mind that it’s very expensive here, depending on the city you live in. However, to live comfortably on your own, you must at least earn $60,000-$75,000 a year all depending in what city you live in.

7.) Crime rates vary by city

Two of the most notorious cities here in California are Compton and South Central. These are two cities where even picking up the newspaper from your front lawn is dangerous. When driving through those cities, I’ve literally seen some houses with steel walls due to how dangerous it is. Of course there are other horrible cities but these two are the worse.

While the best places to live in California are in places that have cool climates such as mammoth and big bear. If you don’t like cold weather then some sage cities in warmer climates are Orange County, Torrance and Calabasas

8.) Theme parks

The most popular theme park here in California is Disneyland located in Anaheim. It gets tourists from all over the world. Some other ones are 6 flags magic mountain and Adventure city.

9.) Several beaches

Due to California being next to the sea, there are several beaches you can visit, redondo beach has a pier that has stores and restaurants. Seal beach is more popular for swimming.

10.) Hollywood

Hollywood is the most popular movie industry in the world and is based here in California. Unfortunately since is based in California, the far left has a major influence on it’s content. While not everything that comes out of Hollywood is bad, some other things are clearly inspired by the far left.

Overall, California is a great state but it definitely has to improve in politics and take safety precautions from Earthquakes by having a Earthquake warning system, similar to Mexico’s Earthquake warning system.

1839
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Girl

• I read your post. Absolutely loved.

My boyfriend and I are both conservatives (though I am a bit more neutral). He is pretty right wing. I am not.

He spouts off a lot about California, and I always take it with a grain of salt because he can be bias. But hearing your perspective as a centralist helps my perspective. I appreciate your honesty.

Most Helpful Guy

• This adequately describes Southern California.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 17

• I admire California for its educational institutions such as Stanford University and Caltech, ranking second and fourth respectively in the QS World University Rankings 2018. I think California couldn't be any prouder.

Reference: www.topuniversities.com/.../2018

• Keep in mind that both Stanford and Caltech are private institutions and neither have anything to do with the state government.

• @CAsurfing
      You must not have understood what I said. These elite schools provide 100% of financial need. I think no tuition is even charged for anyone from a family of less than about $125,000.

• @WalterRadio Any school can be unaffordable even if determined financial need is met. It really comes down to your parents assets and whether they're willing to take a 2nd mortgage if their house is paid off or something similar. That was how it was when i went to college. I'd have to wait until I was 24 for their assets not to be factored into the equation.

• Great take... I agree about liberals.

• I have a sister and two cousins out there. i never felt compelled to move there... too expensive. it's insane

• humid? isn't LA a desert?

• He is from California. He has no idea what humid is.

• You're right COCOCHANEL. When people say they are hot because of humidity, what they are saying only matters at high temperatures. California does get humid at low temperatures (in the morning) but that is completely irrelevant to people feeling hot. California is not humid at temperatures like 70F+ except for like one or two occasional days every 3-5 years. Florida or Texas is routinely close to 100% relative humidity at 90F+. So California is not humid in the relevant way when people describe humidity. Humidity in the morning means nothing.

• Like the relative humidity is 97% right now (bay area) but it's 47F outside and I have a jacket on lol

• I really hope California leaves the USA like they promised. Those people shouldn't have a say in our elections. California is cancer.

• Interesting read even though you clearly have a bias towards the cooler climate areas. Big Bear/ Mammoth. Lol. and don’t forget Tahoe. Which is fine because one thing I know about California is that it literally has something for everyone.

• I fucking hate the expense of living in this state. I will return to Florida in 2 years after I'm done with this educational program.

• #s 3 and 5 are definitely spoil the natural beauty California has to offer. It's a sad state of affairs when you see your gainfully employed friends still living with their parents because the cost of living in their city far exceeds how much they make. Admittedly, there are plenty of open, rural spaces that are well under budget, but who wants to live there?

• Wow! Love this concept of reviewing parts of countries!
    Very interesting. Yeah, I agree, sunny weather is definitely overrated - more so because it's rarely different, and diversity is the spice of live.

• Cali is so overrated anyway same with Toronto, Vancouver, etc people love it because they are pretty cities but like like go outside these towns and you see gorgeous areas too. Also how many places do you need around you? these cities are only good for jobs.

• Most of California is rural. You get North of Los Angeles by about an hour's drive, and there is not another large city until you hit San Francisco.

• @MlleCake People still think its the place to in. That's why its overrated.

• live in*

• No one gets kicked out of class for expressing their opinion, as long as you are being polite and non-disruptive. People might not like you for your opinion but you may express it.

• I visited Cali twice since one of my cousins moved there and went to Disneyland when I was young. It's not humid, come to Ohio to find out what's humid lol

• It gets cold at night. That's the only thing I hate.

• interesting
    thans for sharing

• I've here all my life too

• The only thing I know is that whenever it is mentioned its for the sunny weather lol

• It seems too expensive for just anyone to move to

What Guys Said 38

• I think your view of California is warped by lack of information about other states and a longer history.

I assume you were born in 96, meaning you've lived there as an adult for all of a year. I lived there for 26 years. I moved there, the state where President Reagan came from, when it was THE place to be.

But every year, it has dropped a notch. The air has become much better (I bet you have never heard of Stage 1 or Stage 2), but everything else is worse.

Back in the 50's, it as #1 for public education. It is now #46.

When cost of living is considered, it has the highest percent of people in poverty.

"However, to live comfortably on your own, you must at least earn $60,000-$75,000 a year all depending in what city you live in"
    Laughable. Sure, you might be able to afford to live in Rialto for that. But not Sunnyvale or Irvine, or anywhere else someone would actually want to live.

The ban on open carry is recent. I used to carry openly in the mountains, where running into a mountain lion, bear, or pot grower was a real possibility.

And whereas the rest of the US is re-affirming its center-right politics, California keeps stepping left, away from the rest of the nation.

• Obviously California has changed. Hence my mentioning how Californian society has changed over the years.

• That also would take away the best natural port in California.

• @zagor
      That would be San Diego.

Besides, they could always put in a lock and keep part of it navigable.

• This might seem like a contradiction, but it's really more of a different perspective. I didn't live in California as long as you, about 12 years total. I lived in three different places in "Northern California", mostly in the Central Valley. I put "Northern California" in quotes because what Californians call Northern California isn't really all that far north.

California is a diverse state. It's a very large state geographically, and very diverse. Many people think of the coast and beaches. It also has lots of mountains, desert, high forests, and the vast flat-as-a-pancake Central Valley, which has a lot of farmland and orchards... and fog, lots and lots of fog so thick I couldn't find my house sometimes.

People think of beaches, swimming and surfing. Only a small part of the state in the south has that. Most of the California coast is too cold to swim.

"2.) Weather is overrated"

I don't agree. It might not be what some people imagine, but I don't think it's over rated. I've lived in a lot of places and California has better weather than the large majority of places in the US. Of course it partly depends on what you like and what part of California you are in. But overall, it has much better weather than most places. Plus, if you don't like the current weather, there is a decent chance you can drive an hour to a place with completely different weather. The Central Valley is 110 degrees? Then drive an hour to where you'll shiver without a jacket.

"3.) Too liberal"

Yea, but this is actually very recent. California seems to have taken a serious left turn since I was there. California has had more Republican governors than Democrat.

Before Gov Moonbeam (D), there was two term Schrarzenegger (R), 1 term Davis (D), 2 term Wilson (R), 2 term Deukmejian (R). Over the last 35 years that's three terms of Democrats, and six terms of Republicans. They've had two Democrat US senators for a long time. I don't know what it is now, but when I was there both the US House and state Assembly were split.

"4.) Earthquake risks"

Yea. Everyone should experience at least one good earthquake in their life. :) People think the ground is solid and stays still. Well it doesn't. It's freaky when it's moving so much you have a hard time keeping your balance.

Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, droughts, snow blizzards that keep you pinned inside your home for a week. Most places have something.

• "5.) Paradise locations"

I could add so much to this list. The Big Sur Coast. Well, almost the entire coast all the way to Alaska.

Redwoods. Everyone should experience standing next to an old growth redwood. A trip to Crescent City should be on everyone's bucket list (that's where the best trees are).

Mount Lassen.

Lake Tahoe. Much of the lake is just a lake, but some parts like Emerald Bay are gorgeous.

Kings Canyon and Sequoia parks - Sequoia is more big trees, but the north coast redwoods are better.

A number of places along the Sierra - I like the views from the east side better than the west side that most people see.

Forests, lots and lots of forests. I'm not sure how many people realize how forested California is.

The SF Bay is nice. Then cross the Golden Gate bridge and enter a whole new world. Not far north of the bridge it won't even seem like you're in the same state.

• "6.) Expensive"

Yes, but there are cheap places well below the national average. Much of the far north is like that.

"10.) Hollywood"

Meh, not even worth mentioning those wackos :) Well OK, if someone just happens to be very close by, it might be worth stopping for a tour of one of the studios.

Special call out for rainbows. I suspect many coastal natives take them for granted, but California has some fantasic rainbows along the coast. The setting sun combined with coastal mist can bring out some serious color. I saw a quad rainbow up near Eureka, and several triples in various places.

• Very good take - I have never been but it is on the list especially the nature areas and maybe wine country - Most of your cons are for people who want to live there and I think I am more in a visiting frame of mind than a moving to frame of mind - Just a thought on the beliefs, yes I agree any belief system that is taking too far it impacts on other beliefs is wrong whatever you feel about the belief but unless you find a land with no political ideals these may be a problem wherever you live, there will always be someone who doesn't agree with you that said if they seem to be in power, it may grate more.

• Great take.. If it wasn’t for 3) Too Liberal and 6) Expensive, I wouldn’t have a problem with CA.

• Thanks. I Enjoyed it.

"Since I don’t agree with feminism, I have to be extra careful when communicating with females here in California."

Don't sacred to express your views to others. Cowards are the ones that do that.

• LOL. I live in California as well and I agree with everything you said here, especially the part about Feminism and Liberal colleges.
    But the truth is, once you get away from the coastal counties the state is mostly RED. However, our universities are still controlled by Liberals.
    Your Compton comment was hilarious, but it is really no laughing matter.
    And I am glad someone finally acknowledged the fact that the "tolerant" Left neglects Asians.

• I have been to California a few times, but never really saw anything to learn about the state.

An excellent MyTake, I simply must comment because California is the clear winner of "most hated state" in my state of Montana, especially in the central and eastern parts. Obviously some parts are rural and more conservative, and for the more educated, this hate is not directed at those parts. It is for both the highly liberal dominant politics, and the laws and standards that get imposed nation-wide born in California, thanks to the politics and huge population (thus government representation) of the state. In fact Eastern and Central Montanans harbor a lot of animocity toward Western Montana for being "too much like California" for exactly the same reasons.

Of course it is so that most of the people doing this California-hating have never visited the state (or even left their own) and probably do not know much about it. It can make one wonder if some of them even know where California is because you hear the same sentiments about the East, particularly New York, as if the two were part of the same evil entity. In some ways they are though, I have to admit.

Some of the pieces of this take would certainly come as no surprise to California-hating Montanans, especially the parts about feminism and leftist educators limiting free speech for the conservative side. Also the diversity, which I think is great, but scares the more crotchety and xenophobic conservatives.

The experience of conservatives having to limit their free speech in class is not just a Californian phenomenon though - it is widespread in many universities around the country and the world, even in otherwise conservative areas.

I have heard many an old crotchety Eastern Montanan say they hope the "Big One" would hit.

I have known a couple people from here who have lived in California for awhile say that the biggest problem was the fakeness of the culture - how seemingly everyone was out to impress to get something out of everyone else, no true friendships, nothing real.

I have also known plenty of good, genuine, and libertarian people from California. I know it has many beautiful places which would probably be very similar to here or anywhere.

Overall, I think, a beautiful state, probably with more good people and things than bad by area, even if not by population. Many lessons to learn, and to not, from California.

• Your wrong in so here. First I was born and raised in los angeles, still living here. 43 years and counting. We have a dry heat most of the time , not humid. Compton and South central are not like it use to be. i think u watch to many movies. It's central la they haven't called it south central for over a decade. It is expensive, I give u that. But I know no better. I live in Glendale about 5 miles where I grew up from , silver lake. We are spoiled here in L. A. we have everything close to us. We could go

• My main issue is with the far left wing politics and yes Compton and South central/central LA are still bad, maybe not as bad as they use to be but still bad. The other thing is the threat of the “big one” which is a large Earthquake that is said to hit California in the future.

• I was born in Glendale. I live a bit East of Pasadena now.

• Drove up to San Diego
    Saw a sign for Mission Beach
    And so, went out deep into the ocean,
    Saw a shark and had a stroke.
    Back in the ambulance I go,
    Had a dream about a girl I used to know,
    She said "I got to warn ya bout Mexico and California."

Earthquakes and sharks to start us off,
    If Chupacabras ain't enough,
    Black widow spiders and killer bees,
    Ain't no shade and ain't no trees.
    Hot desert heat, polluted air,
    There's traffic jams beyond compare.
    That's all I got to warn ya bout Mexico and California.

Woke up and said I got to go,
    Doc said "Relax, just take it slow."
    I tried to argue, but don't you know,
    Bout California and Mexico?
    Right then, the doctor hit the floor,
    The building shook, then shook some more,
    I looked down at him and swore,
    "You son of a bitch! I told you so!"

Earthquakes and sharks to start us off,
    If Chupacabras ain't enough,
    Black widow spiders and killer bees,
    Ain't no shade and ain't no trees.
    Hot desert heat, polluted air,
    There's traffic jams beyond compare.

• Couldn't give a flying crap about California.

• Too expensive and too crowded-at least from LA and to the south.

A great place to visit, but not to live in, IMHO.

• I think California is one of the most important states. Cali is also very powerful. I like reading the rankings and it seems like the West Coast and the Northeast are like the best areas in the United States.

• "the best areas in the United States. "
      Only if you make at least $10M/yr.

• I don't like California

• Interesting

• I have to agree with everything you wrote. I lived here for my first 23 years and then moved to Michigan for a short time only to return. It really opened my eyes to how society as a whole outside of my state is. There is a lot of both good and bad aspects for living in California as well as not living here.

• Well... having lived from top to bottm in that state going back several years... get the word out. Crescent City to San Ysidro is 1,000 MILES. TURN OFF YOUR TV'S! It's not all gangs, gays, liberals, sunny and surfers! O. C. is VERY conservative. Oakland is NOTHING like S. F. Crescent City doesn't even see the sun! The central vally is FULL of trailer trash poverty. The most seismically active point in the state is Petrolia-1 hr south of the OREGON BORDER-nowhere NEAR S. F. or L. A. Lots and LOTS of misconceptions about the state. Turn off your tv's people!

• Good take, with one minor change.
    In my own experience, Cali isn't that racially diverse. I have never seen so many white people till I moved out here from Hawaii.

• Certain places have predominantly white people. It all depends what parts of California.

• @MlleCake In a cultural sense I think. It's difficult to compare them. I want to say hawaii is more culturally and racially, but i digress that's only my experience.

• Oh no, I don't disagree with you. Hawaii may be more diverse, or diverse in a different way, if there were such a way to measure these things. California is just a lot mire diverse than some other places.

• Hopefully the big one eliminates California and Californians from the map. In all seriousness why would you live in a place that's expecting an earth quake of that size?

• i find it hard to say the weather is overrated when you can fine virtually every biome besides tundra. it's like not being able to find a certain type of restaurant in new york city

• I wouldn't forget the racial and identity politics obsession

• More from Guys
    18